Who throws for more yards Tua or Jalen? - Page 5
Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast
    BamaNation All-SEC

Re: Who throws for more yards Tua or Jalen?

Quote Originally Posted by BamaMoon View Post
    No question he stepped up and did what he was asked to do. Completed some GREAT throws and used his feet and without his performance, we don't beat Georgia.

The "question" about Jalen is can he do that all the time?

It's not a slight against Jalen to say he's probably best with a quick read/throw and then using his feet. I think that's how OU will use him. While he might have improved his pocket play, it would be a shame for him to not use his greatest strength, which is his legs.
    But that depends on what his end goal is. If his goal is only to win games, then using his legs a lot is great. If he wants to win, but also has an end goal to make it to the NFL, he's going to need to prove he's more than one read and run. Not that he should be a stationary target but he should be striving to first go through reads, then extend play with his legs while still looking to pass (which he started to do much better at the end of last season, showing a lot of growth so he just needs to continue that progression) and when all else fails, take off and run.

BamaNation All-American bamaslammer's Avatar

The gap in defenses they are going against is significant. Hurts will pass for more yards.
    BS 1989

I think Jalen will throw for more yards if he stays injury-free. He will play more than Tua and he will play against mediocre defenses. Tua will still throw for lots of yards, but I am not sure if it will be as many as last year.

I hope BAMA runs the ball more, especially when it seems to work (instead of going away from it so quickly). I cannot wait until football season starts!

BamaNation Hall of Fame BamaMoon's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by bamaslammer View Post
    The gap in defenses they are going against is significant. Hurts will pass for more yards.
    No doubt the defenses we'll face will be better but that didn't seem to stop us last year either. And this year, with our guys being Jr.s they are going to be a well-oiled machine!

And someone noted earlier that OU's offensive line is pretty much starting all over this year.

On paper, this has got to be the best offense in the history of Bama football.

BamaNation Hall of Fame BamaJama17's Avatar

Iíve seen a lot of talk about the horrible defenses Jalen will face and that is true however what I havenít seen is that fact that OUís defense was downright horrible as well. Unless they have a massive turnaround with this new DC, Hurts will have to stay in a be forced to put up big numbers in shootouts because OU wonít be able to put away teams the way Bana can regardless of if OU wants to sit him in the 4th quarter. That helped RG3 win the Heisman in 2011 over Trent.

BamaNation All-American theballguy's Avatar
    Behind is in Colorado Springs, heart in Alabama

Will Jalen or Tua Pass for More Yards in 2019?

At Oklahoma I have this feeling that Jalen will be in every game / every quarter and will probably be in 2 or more OT games where he will get the opportunity to throw for a lot of yards whereas Tua probably won't. Like last season, Tua will probably be out of the game in the middle of the 3rd Q (except for games against A&M, LSU or Auburn). I think Jalen has an excellent chance to put up more yards than Tua. Thoughts?

Btw, this is not a question of talent but rather of opportunity.
    Last edited by theballguy; August 12th, 2019 at 08:36 PM.
    ďI know what it takes to win. If I can sell them on what it takes to win, then we are not going to lose too many football games.Ē - Coach Paul Bryant and I can see Coach Nick Saban agreeing completely.

BamaNation Hall of Fame JustNeedMe81's Avatar

Re: Will Jalen or Tua Pass for More Yards in 2019?

Did we discuss this in the other thread?
    We are champions. We can prove it! *counting 15 championships*

BamaNation Hall of Fame JustNeedMe81's Avatar

Re: Will Jalen or Tua Pass for More Yards in 2019?

Apparently we have a thread that discuss same thing: https://www.tidefans.com/forums/show...=1#post3422387
    Last edited by crimsonaudio; August 12th, 2019 at 09:25 PM.
    We are champions. We can prove it! *counting 15 championships*

BamaNation Third Team

No arguing from any Sooner about the 2017 and 2018 defenses, they were horrible

BJ17, a little turnaround will look massive, statistically speaking, and that is all Sooner fans are hoping for at this point.

Oklahoma also had a QB enter the portal to transfer to WV this season. Keeping the others (RS/Fr Tanner Mordecai and 5-star recruit Spencer Rattler) takes on a bit more urgency, especially for a program that once saw a potential run to a national title ruined in the first game of the season when the star QB went down with a dislocated shoulder (Sam Bradford in 2009). The expectation is that with Hurts experienced already, Mordecai will play more early than previous back ups and Rattler will be used to the limits of the 4-games redshirt rule (and if he is all that, no reason to redshirt him as he would enter the draft after his junior year anyway).

So maybe Hurts won't have the opportunity to accumulate the huge numbers of passing yards as did Mayfield and Murray.

Quote Originally Posted by RTR91 View Post
    Since Lincoln Riley became an OC in 2010, his QBs have averaged 3,772.6 yards a season. Since being at OU, his QBs have averaged 3,934.5 yards. I don't see Tua getting to either number. Maybe I'm wrong, but I just can't see it.
    I don't see Jalen getting there, either. He's improved and Riley will do a good job of building an offense around his strengths. But, as a passer, he's not in the same league as Riley's other QBs.

I think Jalen will have a ton of yards, but almost as much running as passing. Keep in mind, OU lost 4 starters in the OL. I think we'll see Jalen tucking and running quite a bit.

BamaNation First Team

Iím going with Tua. I love Jalen and wish him a successful season, but Iím not ready to put him in the same category as Mayfield & Murray.

Big-12 All American owenfieldreams's Avatar

Some updates and observations from OU's fall camp: Apparently, Hurts is in a real battle for the starting position. It seems from the reports out of camp that it's his leadership vs the raw talent of his 2 main competitors, Tanner Mordecai and Spencer Rattler. Rattler has dazzled in camp but is behind in terms of knowledge of the system. Mordecai has both skill and knowledge but not Hurts leadership. Lots of talk that Hurts struggles throwing to his left. That's a problem since CeeDee Lamb lines up on the left. I remind all here that OU actually runs more than it throws. Anyone who doesn't think we dont have a devastating ground game is mistaken. The O-line will have 4 new starters, all either RS sophs or juniors so they have been in the system and Bedenbaugh is a great O-line coach. I still think Hurts starts and our scheme will play to his strength. We ran more QB plays with Murray than we did with Mayfield. Rattler probably RS's but he is a special talent. Lots of optimism about a dramatically improved D. We shall see.

BamaNation Hall of Fame B1GTide's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by owenfieldreams View Post
    Some updates and observations from OU's fall camp: Apparently, Hurts is in a real battle for the starting position. It seems from the reports out of camp that it's his leadership vs the raw talent of his 2 main competitors, Tanner Mordecai and Spencer Rattler. Rattler has dazzled in camp but is behind in terms of knowledge of the system. Mordecai has both skill and knowledge but not Hurts leadership. Lots of talk that Hurts struggles throwing to his left. That's a problem since CeeDee Lamb lines up on the left. I remind all here that OU actually runs more than it throws. Anyone who doesn't think we dont have a devastating ground game is mistaken. The O-line will have 4 new starters, all either RS sophs or juniors so they have been in the system and Bedenbaugh is a great O-line coach. I still think Hurts starts and our scheme will play to his strength. We ran more QB plays with Murray than we did with Mayfield. Rattler probably RS's but he is a special talent. Lots of optimism about a dramatically improved D. We shall see.
    He did his entire career at Alabama.