Who throws for more yards Tua or Jalen? - Page 8
Page 8 of 12 FirstFirst 123456789101112 LastLast
    BamaNation All-American

Re: Who throws for more yards Tua or Jalen?

In a shocking development, not really, Jalen named OU starter.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BamaNation Hall of Fame JustNeedMe81's Avatar

I'll be watching Jalen to see how he does with the team.
    We are champions. We can prove it! *counting 15 championships*

BamaNation All-American

Jalen should do well...... if he doesn’t throw for a ton of yards, I could see him running for a zillion

BamaNation Hall of Fame deliveryman35's Avatar

Jalen. With Saban pulling Tua early in what should be a lot of blow outs, Riley will have Jalen playing a lot more minutes to try and bolster another Oklahoma heisman campaign. This alone should put Jalen over the top.
    "Football is a hard game. These spread coaches forget that. Until good defenses remind them." Gene Stallings

BamaNation Scout Team

Tua, and it won't be close.

Big-12 All American owenfieldreams's Avatar

D man, there is no way Riley keeps Hurts in for the sole reason of winning the HT. I expect to see both Mordecai and Rattler play ( Rattler can get in 4 games and still RS ). Hurts is at OU for only one year and it appears we won't offer a 2020 QB ( we have a 2021 commit ). This means a 3 QB room for the 2020 season. Mordecai and Rattler will both get reps out of necessity.

BamaNation Hall of Fame B1GTide's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by owenfieldreams View Post
    D man, there is no way Riley keeps Hurts in for the sole reason of winning the HT. I expect to see both Mordecai and Rattler play ( Rattler can get in 4 games and still RS ). Hurts is at OU for only one year and it appears we won't offer a 2020 QB ( we have a 2021 commit ). This means a 3 QB room for the 2020 season. Mordecai and Rattler will both get reps out of necessity.
    How many reps did your backups get last year with the same exact situation, or the year before? You may be right, but history says that you are not.

BamaNation Hall of Fame BamaMoon's Avatar

I think the answer to the question is bound up in the type of offensive style he'll be playing in vs. Tua.

If I understand OU's offensive style, it's based off of a QB (RPO) and when pass is the option much of the offense is geared toward short passes to backs and receivers who are spread 4 wide across the field.

I think this is the perfect offense for Jalen's talents (as compared to the way our offense, last year, was more deep shot oriented). I think Jalen will throw for lots of yards becaues he has become a better passer, but I also think he'll relish the ability to pull it and run it too so that mitigate his overall passing numbers.

While our offense employs similar RPO tenents with four receivers, we tend to run deeper, downfield routes and Tua is the perfect QB for this will his incrediable accuracy.

If the "competition" between Jalen and Tua was based on a 1 to 1 ratio of passing plays I think Tua would probably double his yardage, but the two things that will obviously impact this is the number of attempts they both get in games and how long they play in blowout games.

I still think Tua may still throw for more just because I think he'll have more explosive, long completions, but in the end Jalen will probably have more overall yards (throwing and rushing).

FWIW, as I said in the thread about Jalen being named the starter, I'm really excited to watch some OU football this year and I'll be rooting for Jalen to be great (unless we go head to head with OU).
    Last edited by BamaMoon; August 20th, 2019 at 08:58 AM.

Big-12 All American owenfieldreams's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by B1GTide View Post
    How many reps did your backups get last year with the same exact situation, or the year before? You may be right, but history says that you are not.
    True, but remember, our D did not help so the starter was in for longer periods out of necessity, not out of some effort to win a HT. No coach would keep a player 8n just to win an award. It's up to the S.I.D. and the marketing by the school to try and hype a HT.

BamaNation All-American

The only way Jalen throws for more yards is if he throws the ball a lot more.

So, Tua will lead in the more important stat of YPA and I think he'll probably have more passing yards too.

Quote Originally Posted by BamaMoon View Post
    I still think Tua may still throw for more just because I think he'll have more explosive, long completions, but in the end Jalen will probably have more overall yards (throwing and rushing).
    I hope it turns out that Tua has more passing yards and Jalen has more rushing yards.

True, but remember, our D did not help so the starter was in for longer periods out of necessity, not out of some effort to win a HT. No coach would keep a player 8n just to win an award. It's up to the S.I.D. and the marketing by the school to try and hype a HT.
    Lotsa blowouts last year...

Name:  Screen Shot 2019-08-20 at 9.26.38 AM.jpg
Views: 0
Size:  97.0 KB
    Oderint dum metuant - Lucius Accius

Where ever there's BBQ, Crawfish & Football

You know this simply isn't true. A lot of coaches wouldn't? I agree. But "no coach"? I've watched coaches keep players in to rack up stats in order to break a single game school or national record. No doubt in my mind there are more than a handful of coaches over the years, some coaching today, that would definitely keep a player in to pad stats in order to help win the HT. Heck, Spurrier would do it just because he could.
    Last edited by Bamabuzzard; August 20th, 2019 at 09:38 AM.
    The existence of God isn't determined in the thoughts of man. God exists, no matter what man thinks.

"It cost a lot of money to look this cheap."-Dolly Parton.

"If you ever want to know how good your barbecue is start charging for it"-Myron Mixon