Who throws for more yards Tua or Jalen?

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
I'm really looking forward to watching Jalen play for OU. I wish him all the best unless we meet them in the playoffs.

I really believe he made tremendous progress at Alabama to overcome his one read tendency and then tuck and run. But I expect to see him do alot of that in OU's offense. They seem to rely on quick throws which would probably fit his one read tendency and then, if it's not there, I expect he'll shred those Big 12 defenses with his ability to tuck and run.

I think the teams that figure out how to contain him and limit his scrambling/running will be the teams that have the most success against OU. Problem is, Texas may be the only team in conference that has the abilty to do that. But if OU makes the playoffs, it'll probably be the first time Jalen really gets tested.

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
I forgot to answer the question: I think it'll be closer than most think because I think Jalen will rush for alot of yards in addition to passing for alot like 1000/3000.

I think Tua throws for around 3000 too, down from last year, but still impressive.

BamaHoosier

All-American
Jan 17, 2011
Noblesville Indiana
Likely Jalen will end up with both more total yards and passing yards by a significant margin. Not just because of their respective offensive philosophies, but mainly because of minutes played.

Oklahoma doesn’t usually pull their starting QB even in blowouts. Looking at our schedule I see maybe 4 games where Tua plays a full 60 minutes. Chances are Jalen plays a full 4 quarters far more frequently than Tua will.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
Since Lincoln Riley became an OC in 2010, his QBs have averaged 3,772.6 yards a season. Since being at OU, his QBs have averaged 3,934.5 yards. I don't see Tua getting to either number. Maybe I'm wrong, but I just can't see it.

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
I think Jalen simply because he's a senior QB going against flag football defenses with some decent receivers.

Get ready for the stories about how his development at Alabama was "hindered" by Saban and "what a genius Lincoln Riley is" for "turning Hurts into a first-rate passer."

And none of it will be true as written. But get ready for the Revisionism Railroad out of the station.

Tider6972

BamaNation Citizen
Sep 21, 2000
Montgomery, Al USA
Jalen.

I hope he wins the hypeman and becomes a 1st round pick; I'll be pleased if he's the fist pick..

I admire his character and his talent, he'll always be a favorite of mine.

Bama9001

1st Team
Sep 26, 2017
Did Jalen nail down the Sooner starting job in the spring or is the competition ongoing? I should know the answer to that but didn't keep up with OU.

Evil Crimson Dragon

Hall of Fame
Feb 4, 2018
Marietta, GA
I think Jalen simply because he's a senior QB going against flag football defenses with some decent receivers.

Get ready for the stories about how his development at Alabama was "hindered" by Saban and "what a genius Lincoln Riley is" for "turning Hurts into a first-rate passer."

And none of it will be true as written. But get ready for the Revisionism Railroad out of the station.
That will happen after his first big game.......

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
Jalen.

I hope he wins the hypeman and becomes a 1st round pick; I'll be pleased if he's the fist pick..

I admire his character and his talent, he'll always be a favorite of mine.
Between this and what you posted in the top five Alabama QBs thread, I'm wondering if you're related to Jalen.

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
I think Tua throws for over 4,000 yards this year..... and that will be more than Jalen.
I don't think it's a matter of "can he?" but will he get the opportunity with PT and will the run/pass ratio allow him to throw enough when he's playing?

But I hope you are right!!!

tusks_n_raider

Hall of Fame
May 13, 2009
Mobile, AL
I don't think it's a matter of "can he?" but will he get the opportunity with PT and will the run/pass ratio allow him to throw enough when he's playing?

But I hope you are right!!!

I'm thinking Tua might actually play more this year than last. CNS was ultra comfortable letting Jalen come in and run the game out in 2nd halfs.

While we do need to give the #2 important reps, I don't think CNS will have the same confidence in this years backup as last years.....not early on in the season anyway. So QB2 might not come in until late in the 3rd or early in the 4th.

Also the WR's are entering year 3 (Waddle Year 2), along with Tua having a whole season and offseason developing chemistry with them.

I see no reason why the Passing can't be just as prolific as last year.... It might be more dangerous if Tua starts consistently hitting the RB checkdowns.

I know most want to see some dedicated rushing as well..... but the truth is that we averaged around 200 ypg rushing last year which is right in line with just about every year under CNS except for 2016-2017 where Jalen's runs pushed the average up to 250 ypg.

The problem isn't/wasn't that we couldn't move the ball on the ground..... it's that we haven't been able to move it on the ground in critical short yardage situations.

At any rate I expect that with any improvements in the running game, it will only help open up the passing game further.

We need balance.... but in today's game you've got to be able to sling it.... and Tua can SLING IT :D

Relayer

Hall of Fame
Mar 25, 2001
Interesting question! I'm clueless (generally), but I'll say Tua!

Jalen probably ends up with substantially more total yardage, though.

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.