Who throws for more yards Tua or Jalen?

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net
I have heard that Jalen and Coach Riley have been working a lot on the mechanics of throwing. I'm excited to see him on the field, and the Sooner nation has been very supportive from what I hear.
Mechanics have never been his biggest issue. Unless Riley can somehow help JH see the field better and make quicker decisions, he'll be what we saw at Bama.

Which is not a slight - he was amazing here. But passing wasn't why he was so good.

owenfieldreams

Big-12 All American
Sep 8, 2002
galveston tx. usa
delpapabud.com
Something that rarely gets mentioned is Mayfield and Murray's ability to view the field, fine throwing lanes, and check down to 3rd and 4th receiving options. They never took their eyes off the down field options. Hurts, from what I've seen, will not be as patient and will tuck and run it sooner. Some here seem to think the Big 12 D's have never seen power running QB's. This is simply not true. K-State has a history of big fast QB's and Ellinger is a big powerful runner. Blake Bell at OU was called the Bell Dozer. Hurts will have success if his skills support OU's balance on O. If his passing is suspect D's will load up and limit his running success.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
If his passing is suspect D's will load up and limit his running success.
Agreed, but that won't cost you a game until the CFP. Jalen is good enough to beat any defense not in the top 20 or so in the country. He only struggles against elite defenses, and he totally dominates weak defenses.

bamacpa

All-American
Jul 19, 2006
From what I’ve seen of Big 12 defenses lately, Hurts will do very well and throw for lots of yards.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
Mechanics have never been his biggest issue. Unless Riley can somehow help JH see the field better and make quicker decisions, he'll be what we saw at Bama.

Which is not a slight - he was amazing here. But passing wasn't why he was so good.
I've got a theory that, early in his career at Alabama, Jalen saw the field "decently" but that his real issue was he knew his accuracy was suspect and so he was afraid to throw in tight windows.

I do think he's improved in accuracy and vision, but he's nowhere in Tua's vicinity.

colbysullivan

Hall of Fame
Dec 12, 2007
Gulf Breeze, FL
I've got a theory that, early in his career at Alabama, Jalen saw the field "decently" but that his real issue was he knew his accuracy was suspect and so he was afraid to throw in tight windows.
I noticed that too. Go back and watch the USC game (his first ever college game), he was throwing it all over the place. Then he tried to throw a back shoulder to the sideline and Adoree Jackson baited him and picked it off. It seemed like after that he was afraid to pull the trigger.

4Q Basket Case

FB|BB Moderator
Staff member
Nov 8, 2004
Tuscaloosa
Something that rarely gets mentioned is Mayfield and Murray's ability to view the field, fine throwing lanes, and check down to 3rd and 4th receiving options. They never took their eyes off the down field options. Hurts, from what I've seen, will not be as patient and will tuck and run it sooner. Some here seem to think the Big 12 D's have never seen power running QB's. This is simply not true. K-State has a history of big fast QB's and Ellinger is a big powerful runner. Blake Bell at OU was called the Bell Dozer. Hurts will have success if his skills support OU's balance on O. If his passing is suspect D's will load up and limit his running success.
Unless the B12 has a sea change, I don't see that happening.

Check out the link below.

Last year, the best B12 defense, Iowa State, ranked #37 of 130 FBS teams. Seven SEC defenses ranked higher than that. Five of them were in the Top 20. The B12 conference champs ranked #101. Only two SEC teams were worse than that, and other than when they played each other, neither won a conference game.

Half of the B12 ranked worse than #70. Almost a third of the conference was worse than #90.

So I may or may not be right that B12 defenses haven't seen a skill set like Jalen's. But suppose I'm wrong, and they have seen it. That doesn't mean they can stop it.

Jalen Hurts has a long track record of torching defenses of the level fielded by the B12 last year. After doing the research, I'm more confident than before that he will light up those defenses like a Roman candle.

His problem is that, against a Top 10 defense, he has struggled mightily....to the point of being somewhere between ineffective and an outright liability.

But we have no reason to believe he will face anything remotely close to a D of that caliber until the playoff, assuming OU makes it to that point (FWIW, I think they will). Which brings me back around to my original point.

https://www.sports-reference.com/cfb/years/2018-team-defense.html

Last edited:

owenfieldreams

Big-12 All American
Sep 8, 2002
galveston tx. usa
delpapabud.com
Unless the B12 has a sea change, I don't see that happening.

Check out the link below.

Last year, the best B12 defense, Iowa State, ranked #37 of 130 FBS teams. Seven SEC defenses ranked higher than that. Five of them were in the Top 20. The B12 conference champs ranked #101. Only two SEC teams were worse than that, and other than when they played each other, neither won a conference game.

Half of the B12 ranked worse than #70. Almost a third of the conference was worse than #90.

So I may or may not be right that B12 defenses haven't seen a skill set like Jalen's. But suppose I'm wrong, and they have seen it. That doesn't mean they can stop it.

Jalen Hurts has a long track record of torching defenses of the level fielded by the B12 last year. After doing the research, I'm more confident than before that he will light up those defenses like a Roman candle.

His problem is that, against a Top 10 defense, he has struggled mightily....to the point of being somewhere between ineffective and an outright liability.

But we have no reason to believe he will face anything remotely close to a D of that caliber until the playoff, assuming OU makes it to that point (FWIW, I think they will). Which brings me back around to my original point.

https://www.sports-reference.com/cfb/years/2018-team-defense.html
Look at the Big 12 offense stats. No conference in the country is as explosive top to bottom as the Big 12. Now, before anyone goes crazy thinking I'm a Big 12 homer, clearly SEC D's are better over all but they are defending O's far less dynamic overall. Virtually every team in the Big 12 spreads you out and can score from anywhere on the field. Our O requires balance. If Hurts cant provide that Big 12 D's will figure him out.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
Look at the Big 12 offense stats. No conference in the country is as explosive top to bottom as the Big 12. Now, before anyone goes crazy thinking I'm a Big 12 homer, clearly SEC D's are better over all but they are defending O's far less dynamic overall. Virtually every team in the Big 12 spreads you out and can score from anywhere on the field. Our O requires balance. If Hurts cant provide that Big 12 D's will figure him out.
Only the legit SEC defenses could "figure him out". Even in the SEC, where defenses are generally stronger than offenses, he made most defenses look silly.

Forget stats - look at players in the NFL. It is not just the stats that make Big 12 defenses clearly inferior - it is the talent. Your offenses skew the stats, to be sure, but the inferiority is proven out by the lack of players that make it to the next level compared to other P5 conferences - particularly the SEC.

I guess that we will see soon enough. One more week and the games begin.

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
Only the legit SEC defenses could "figure him out". Even in the SEC, where defenses are generally stronger than offenses, he made most defenses look silly.

Forget stats - look at players in the NFL. It is not just the stats that make Big 12 defenses clearly inferior - it is the talent. Your offenses skew the stats, to be sure, but the inferiority is proven out by the lack of players that make it to the next level compared to other P5 conferences - particularly the SEC.

I guess that we will see soon enough. One more week and the games begin.
True. The NFL draft is the big talent litmus test. I'm sure we'll all be watching more OU games this year...

4Q Basket Case

FB|BB Moderator
Staff member
Nov 8, 2004
Tuscaloosa
We may have to agree to disagree on this.

Figuring Jalen out and stopping him are two entirely different things. After his first 6-8 games, every decent coach in the country knew his weaknesses. But only the best could exploit them.

Jalen ran roughshod over everybody except: Mississippi State, LSU, Auburn and playoff teams. The B12 has no defenses remotely comparable to those. Jalen will rack up huge numbers.

bamacpa

All-American
Jul 19, 2006
In a shocking development, not really, Jalen named OU starter.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

deliveryman35

Hall of Fame
Jul 26, 2003
Gadsden, AL
Jalen. With Saban pulling Tua early in what should be a lot of blow outs, Riley will have Jalen playing a lot more minutes to try and bolster another Oklahoma heisman campaign. This alone should put Jalen over the top.

owenfieldreams

Big-12 All American
Sep 8, 2002
galveston tx. usa
delpapabud.com
D man, there is no way Riley keeps Hurts in for the sole reason of winning the HT. I expect to see both Mordecai and Rattler play ( Rattler can get in 4 games and still RS ). Hurts is at OU for only one year and it appears we won't offer a 2020 QB ( we have a 2021 commit ). This means a 3 QB room for the 2020 season. Mordecai and Rattler will both get reps out of necessity.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
D man, there is no way Riley keeps Hurts in for the sole reason of winning the HT. I expect to see both Mordecai and Rattler play ( Rattler can get in 4 games and still RS ). Hurts is at OU for only one year and it appears we won't offer a 2020 QB ( we have a 2021 commit ). This means a 3 QB room for the 2020 season. Mordecai and Rattler will both get reps out of necessity.
How many reps did your backups get last year with the same exact situation, or the year before? You may be right, but history says that you are not.

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
I think the answer to the question is bound up in the type of offensive style he'll be playing in vs. Tua.

If I understand OU's offensive style, it's based off of a QB (RPO) and when pass is the option much of the offense is geared toward short passes to backs and receivers who are spread 4 wide across the field.

I think this is the perfect offense for Jalen's talents (as compared to the way our offense, last year, was more deep shot oriented). I think Jalen will throw for lots of yards becaues he has become a better passer, but I also think he'll relish the ability to pull it and run it too so that mitigate his overall passing numbers.

While our offense employs similar RPO tenents with four receivers, we tend to run deeper, downfield routes and Tua is the perfect QB for this will his incrediable accuracy.

If the "competition" between Jalen and Tua was based on a 1 to 1 ratio of passing plays I think Tua would probably double his yardage, but the two things that will obviously impact this is the number of attempts they both get in games and how long they play in blowout games.

I still think Tua may still throw for more just because I think he'll have more explosive, long completions, but in the end Jalen will probably have more overall yards (throwing and rushing).

FWIW, as I said in the thread about Jalen being named the starter, I'm really excited to watch some OU football this year and I'll be rooting for Jalen to be great (unless we go head to head with OU).

Last edited:

owenfieldreams

Big-12 All American
Sep 8, 2002
galveston tx. usa
delpapabud.com
How many reps did your backups get last year with the same exact situation, or the year before? You may be right, but history says that you are not.
True, but remember, our D did not help so the starter was in for longer periods out of necessity, not out of some effort to win a HT. No coach would keep a player 8n just to win an award. It's up to the S.I.D. and the marketing by the school to try and hype a HT.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.