Who throws for more yards Tua or Jalen?

RollTide_HTTR

Hall of Fame
Feb 22, 2017
The only way Jalen throws for more yards is if he throws the ball a lot more.

So, Tua will lead in the more important stat of YPA and I think he'll probably have more passing yards too.

mlh

All-American
Apr 28, 2004
I still think Tua may still throw for more just because I think he'll have more explosive, long completions, but in the end Jalen will probably have more overall yards (throwing and rushing).
I hope it turns out that Tua has more passing yards and Jalen has more rushing yards.

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004
Where ever there's BBQ, Bourbon & Football
True, but remember, our D did not help so the starter was in for longer periods out of necessity, not out of some effort to win a HT. No coach would keep a player 8n just to win an award. It's up to the S.I.D. and the marketing by the school to try and hype a HT.
You know this simply isn't true. A lot of coaches wouldn't? I agree. But "no coach"? I've watched coaches keep players in to rack up stats in order to break a single game school or national record. No doubt in my mind there are more than a handful of coaches over the years, some coaching today, that would definitely keep a player in to pad stats in order to help win the HT. Heck, Spurrier would do it just because he could.

Last edited:

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
True, but remember, our D did not help so the starter was in for longer periods out of necessity, not out of some effort to win a HT. No coach would keep a player 8n just to win an award. It's up to the S.I.D. and the marketing by the school to try and hype a HT.
I agree that it won't be about the Heisman, but history says that Jalen will play a lot - even with big leads. I don't believe that your head coach is trying to have his QB win the Heisman any more than Saban was trying to have Henry win the Heisman a few years ago. Sometimes you ride a player for reasons that have nothing to do with stats. But the results are the same - huge stats for a player.

bamacpa

All-American
Jul 19, 2006
I think Jalen might account for 50 TDS in the defenseless Big 12

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
The only rationalization for keeping starters in and running up the score is style points relative to making the playoff. This happens a lot.
With the playoffs it doesn't really help anymore. Win the games that you are supposed to win and you get in, even if you win them close.

deliveryman35

Hall of Fame
Jul 26, 2003
Gadsden, AL
The only rationalization for keeping starters in and running up the score is style points relative to making the playoff. This happens a lot.

Or to promote for the Heisman. I admit Tua lost it last year because he underperformed late in the season against stellar competition but it didn’t help that Saban constantly yanked him in earlier games when he could have left him in to pad his stats. Much like Colt McCoy, he had it in the bag until Nov. 1.

owenfieldreams

Big-12 All American
Sep 8, 2002
galveston tx. usa
delpapabud.com
I think Murray won it for one fundamental reason...he alone was asked to carry the team to victory, to score on every possession, because the OU D was so bad. He delivered! Everytime he stepped on the field he knew victory was guaranteed only if he could score. Tua had no such pressure or expectation because he had a D he could rely on. There's probably not a bit of difference in their inherent talents but their circumstances were very different. Murray had to score and he did.

theBIGyowski

All-American
Aug 4, 2005
Cumming, GA
As has been mentioned already...Jalen will have to do more because the OU defense is that bad...and they will be going up against high power offenses in their conference games. I do think Jalen will eclipse his own personal records for yards passing and TDs scored. Him being able to tuck and run bodes well for him. He is a threat to score with his feet in the redzone almost every time.

Now...it is safe to say that OU doesn't have better receivers than Jalen had his last 2 years at Alabama...so in terms of him having more explosive talent around him...that is not the case. Tua has more talent around him and we are truly a threat to score on every play with Najee in the backfield. I can't imagine we would score more than 42 per game on average just because we won't need to.

Conclusion: Jalen will end up with better numbers because he has the physical talent, playcalling, and average defenses he will be going against.

Professor

Scout Team
Sep 3, 2017
There is a wider gap between OU and its competition than there is between Alabama and its competition. Therefore the yards will come easier for Jalen. Although I hope Tua gets more points, wins and yards, I still want Jalen to do well. We owe him for what he did for us.

TideEngineer08

TideFans Legend
Jun 9, 2009
Beautiful Cullman, AL
This has been going on in the Big 12 for years, since the air raid style offenses took over. Offensive coaches love running up numbers, and that is the rationalization. They would do it whether it helped get in the playoffs (or BCS championship) or not.

CoachJeff

Suspended
Jan 21, 2014
Shelby County Alabama
Or to promote for the Heisman. I admit Tua lost it last year because he underperformed late in the season against stellar competition but it didn’t help that Saban constantly yanked him in earlier games when he could have left him in to pad his stats. Much like Colt McCoy, he had it in the bag until Nov. 1.
Tua lost the Heisman because he got hurt against UGA. That's really all it is. After the AU game he was still the Heisman favorite by a nice margin. AU had a good D and he shredded them.

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
Tua lost the Heisman because he got hurt against UGA. That's really all it is. After the AU game he was still the Heisman favorite by a nice margin. AU had a good D and he shredded them.
Yes he did...just watched that game a few days ago.

I'm just not sure if Georgia was that much better than Auburn or Tua just didn't play as well against them...but if he plays the whole game and/or led a comeback against Georgia, I think he wins the Heisman instead of Murray. It's sad it came down to just one game, but I think that's essentially the case.

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
UGA was that much better and Tua got hurt early.
I'd probably agree...not sure the talent was terribly different though Georgia's secondary was probably better, but Georgia definitely had a better game plan (and Clemson probably studied it and perfected it).

RollTide_HTTR

Hall of Fame
Feb 22, 2017
While we're rehashing the Heisman stuff I just have to throw out a big pet peeve of mine.

I've heard/read a TON of media members discuss Kyler vs Tua and it drives me insane every time. They seem to always point out that Kyler Murray was facing the much tougher defense than Tua when we played them (which...duh) and THAT is the primary reason Tua jumped Kyler in the Passer Rating race.

But, for some reason they seem to completely ignore that the reason Kyler had a higher passer rating at that point was because he had been facing weak defenses all year compared to Tua (not to mention Tua's injury).

Idk this just drives me crazy and I like Kyler Murray and hope he succeeds in the NFL.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.