Texas regent still says Nick Saban was coming in 2013

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
If Nick Saban wanted to coach at Texas AS BADLY as all these folks keep saying years later.......then he would have gone to Texas.

If he didn't go because of the alumni and their nonsense, he didn't "want" to coach Texas.

He clearly never did because he isn't and never did.
Or....

He liked the idea until he took the time to look at everything and realized Texas boosters were worse than Alabama boosters were in December 2006, at which point he realized it wasn't worth the money.

bama61

1st Team
Aug 24, 2004
North Alabama
Living in a world of delusion. What I was told at the time, and I believe, is that Saban seriously considered UTw and concluded he could not live with the booster interference he would inevitably have there but had under control at Bama...
Yep, pretty much the same version I heard back at the time, with Red McCombs' name prominently mentioned and with no Mal Moore to run interference.

Last edited:

teamplayer

Hall of Fame
Jul 31, 2001
cullman, al, usa
Or....

He liked the idea until he took the time to look at everything and realized Texas boosters were worse than Alabama boosters were in December 2006, at which point he realized it wasn't worth the money.
Not to mention, he and his main man Sexton used the flirtation to pull some more money out of the powers that be in Tuscaloosa. That little scam that the agents and coaches use every year seems laughable, but it seems to work every single time.

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
Not to mention, he and his main man Sexton used the flirtation to pull some more money out of the powers that be in Tuscaloosa. That little scam that the agents and coaches use every year seems laughable, but it seems to work every single time.
OTOH, all he really has to do is ask. Whatever he asks, he's worth it...

GrayTide

Hall of Fame
Nov 15, 2005
Greenbow, Alabama
That little scam only works if the coach is winning, oh wait, Gus got $49 million for 7 years. Year one was 2018 with an 8-5 record. What a bunch of fools in Lee County.

4Q Basket Case

FB|BB Moderator
Staff member
Nov 8, 2004
Tuscaloosa
Or....

Full banjeaux for this.

Additionally, I think the fact that it got out leading up to our NC game, in enough detail that Saban knew only a select few could possibly have leaked it, was a killer. He knew that, if they'd leak that, under the circumstances, they honestly believe they will say and do anything in the belief that their money can make it all better...it's just a matter of negotiating price.

At that point, the UTw money got too expensive. He leveraged the dalliance into more money at Alabama and a bailout on a failed seven-figure spec house investment. So we are where we are, and UTw is where it is, still whining about if Colt hadn't gotten hurt.

They are honestly pitch-black-blind as to why their money couldn't get them what they wanted.

Last edited:

4Q Basket Case

FB|BB Moderator
Staff member
Nov 8, 2004
Tuscaloosa
Amen to that.

I won't divulge the name, other than to say this individual is in position to know chapter and verse on the numbers. There is no link. Believe me or not based on my record here.

It was in April or May of 2007, roughly 3-4 months after Saban came on board. The university was catching all sorts of grief for guaranteeing a then-outrageous $32 million over 8 years. I asked this person how they felt about the investment. My source said that they'd already made the money back. I thought they were talking about the first year, and said that was great....how long would it take to make the whole contract back? The person said, "4Q, we've already made all $32 million back....it's paid for." I'm not often stunned into silence, but I was then.

Nick Saban is the best thing to happen to Tuscaloosa since Wallace Wade established the tradition nearly 100 years ago. I'm 60, and expect to go to the dirt not seeing anything like this ever again. That's why Mrs. Basket Case and I are doing everything we can to enjoy it while we're still drawing breath.

Last edited:

Evil Crimson Dragon

Hall of Fame
Feb 4, 2018
Marietta, GA
Amen to that.

I won't divulge the name, other than to say this individual is in position to know chapter and verse on the numbers. There is no link. Believe me or not based on my record here.

It was in April or May of 2007, roughly 3-4 months after Saban came on board. The university was catching all sorts of grief for guaranteeing a then-outrageous $32 million over 8 years. I asked this person how they felt about the investment. My source said that they'd already made the money back. I thought they were talking about the first year, and said that was great....how long would it take to make the whole contract back? The person said, "4Q, we've already made all $32 million back....it's paid for." I'm not often stunned into silence, but I was then.

Nick Saban is the best thing to happen to Tuscaloosa since Wallace Wade established the tradition nearly 100 years ago. I'm 60, and expect to go to the dirt not seeing anything like this ever again. That's why Mrs. Basket Case and I are doing everything we can to enjoy it while we're still drawing breath.
Saban was worth every dime...………...a colleague of mine, who is an LSU fan, said when Bama hired Saban " He will end up ruling the SEC, and make Bama a ton of money...………..and I will hate you guys even more for that"

Nalt

Sep 18, 2018
IMO, this is just a sign of desperation within the Longhorns fan base. I'm sure they still want him. I mean, who wouldn't? Well, other than Clemson and again, IMO, the only reason they wouldn't want him is because of the recent success that Dabo has had there and his obvious age advantage over CNS.

bamacon

Hall of Fame
Apr 11, 2008
College Football's Mecca, Tuscaloosa
Living in a world of delusion. What I was told at the time, and I believe, is that Saban seriously considered UTw and concluded he could not live with the booster interference he would inevitably have there but had under control at Bama...
So Miss Terry was cool with leaving? I think she might have had a little influence too. Just my opinion.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

teamplayer

Hall of Fame
Jul 31, 2001
cullman, al, usa
Oh, in Saban's case you are absolutely correct, and I think that is what causes other universities to pull out the checkbook, too. They are afraid of losing a coach who turns out to be great somewhere else. For the coaches, it has driven up the average salaries to incredible heights, but it usually just makes the universities look stupid, which is a bit ironic if you think about it. Gus Malzahn has had as much or maybe even more success beating Saban coached teams than many others, so when the rumor was there that Arky was wanting to bring him in to coach the piggies, AU pulled out the checkbook. That was a horrendous deal for them. It just seems funny to me that so many coaches get raises based off of the thought that they may leave to go somewhere else. I just equate it to a marriage. If my wife started talking about leaving me to go with someone else, I would tell her to get out instead of buying her a new car or jewelry.

teamplayer

Hall of Fame
Jul 31, 2001
cullman, al, usa
That little scam only works if the coach is winning, oh wait, Gus got $49 million for 7 years. Year one was 2018 with an 8-5 record. What a bunch of fools in Lee County.
Hahaha, exactly. The coaches don't even have to win consistently. They can have one good year and all of sudden be making millions. When the same agent represents all the coaches involved and they all get raises, that agent is doing a great job for himself and his clients. However, the universities are often being taken to the cleaners. It seems even worse lately, and I wonder if it is because all of these guys see football as we know it coming to an end so they are trying to get what they can before it all starts to crack and crumble. There just seems to be so much pressure put on the game due to all the hands trying to get paid.
Edit- Sorry, I wasn't going to say it again, but I just couldn't resist. I've always said that if they take care of the game first that the money will always be there. When they start taking care of the money first that the game will go away. They've been taking care of the money for a while now, and the game certainly isn't the same.
Anyway, I'm glad Saban didn't leave for Texas back then, but I would bet that he would have won a national title or two by now if he had.

Last edited:

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
ha ha.

That one boggles the mind for sure.

I mean, not one single person there capable of saying, "We can find someone for 1/5 the cost capable of beating Saban 2-3 times a decade."

TideEngineer08

TideFans Legend
Jun 9, 2009
Beautiful Cullman, AL
The Texas money is a defect, not a feature.

Too many people there have influence, and it is to the overall program's detriment, and it always has been.

Texas will always be good, and they will attract talented coaches from time to time, but they will never be what I consider great because too many people are meddling around and can't be told no. Focused leadership is a foreign concept to those people.

Pilot172000

1st Team
Sep 25, 2017
Winnsboro, LA
Texas may have an unlimited supply of money, but they have only won 1 national title in 50 years and they are publicly disparaging the guy that brought it to them. That just doesn't make much sense.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
I remember following the Texas boards when this was playing out. Their fan base was 100% convinced that he was headed to Texas.

Remember this?

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
To be fair, I don’t think Gus and his agent played Auburn as much as the Auburn president did. From what I was told by some Auburn fans that have some connections is that Gus actually wanted to go to Arkansas, but Auburn threw him a deal that he just couldn’t refuse with a sane mind.

More or less Gus was gone even after the IB, but Auburn just couldn’t bare that a coach chose Arkansas over Auburn weeks after beat UGA and Alabama.

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
To be fair, I don’t think Gus and his agent played Auburn as much as the Auburn president did. From what I was told by some Auburn fans that have some connections is that Gus actually wanted to go to Arkansas, but Auburn threw him a deal that he just couldn’t refuse with a sane mind.

More or less Gus was gone even after the IB, but Auburn just couldn’t bare that a coach chose Arkansas over Auburn weeks after beat UGA and Alabama.
I can buy this.

In movie quote parlance, they made Gus an offer he couldn't refuse.

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
I remember following the Texas boards when this was playing out. Their fan base was 100% convinced that he was headed to Texas.

Remember this?

Oh definitely.

And the entire logic in Texas terms was to refer back to Franchione.

I never could figure this out.

I finally decided it was so illogical that it was a waste of my time to figure out.

:)

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.