Texas regent still says Nick Saban was coming in 2013 - Page 2
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    BamaNation Hall of Fame selmaborntidefan's Avatar

Re: Texas regent still says Nick Saban was coming in 2013

Quote Originally Posted by CrimsonNagus View Post
    You mean to tell me that the only reason Saban didn't go to Texas was because Mack Brown wouldn't allow it. You mena to tell me the big money guys wanted Saban, had Saban, Saban was ready to come but, the soon to be "fired" Mack Brown vetoed the whole thing?

Hold on a second while I change my pants from laughing too much.

What a joke. If the money guys wanted Saban, and Saban wanted Texas, then Saban would be at Texas, regardless of what Mack wanted.

Texas folks like to claim they can buy anyone and everything but, somehow, this time, they were stopped by little ole Mack. Makes perfect sense from the "Colt got hurt" crowd.

"...but Mack vetoed Saban!"
    Exactly

But blaming Mack Brown is much easier than admitting you got rejected, ain't it?
    My New Year's resolution for 2019 is this year I'm not going to drink anymore. I'm not going to drink any less, either.

I was married for 25 years, but if I'd killed her on the honeymoon, I'd have been out in less than 20.

Butch Jones has richly earned his title, The Archbishop of Talentbury

After reading all the horrible things drinking will do to you....I gave up reading.

Living in a world of delusion. What I was told at the time, and I believe, is that Saban seriously considered UTw and concluded he could not live with the booster interference he would inevitably have there but had under control at Bama...
    "The cure for boredom is curiosity. There is no cure for curiosity. - Ellen Parr"

'If today were the last day of my life, would I want to do what I am about to do today?' - Steve Jobs

“I would rather live my life as if there is a god and die to find out there isn't, than live my life as if there isn't and die to find out there is.” Albert Camus

"When Fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross." - Sinclair Lewis

BamaNation Hall of Fame GrayTide's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by TIDE-HSV View Post
    Living in a world of delusion. What I was told at the time, and I believe, is that Saban seriously considered UTw and concluded he could not live with the booster interference he would inevitably have there but had under control at Bama...
    This seems like the real story.
    "My momma always said you got to put the past behind you before you can move on." Forrest Gump

"The past is never dead. It's not even past." William Faulkner

Between his book and what he said on the radio at the time, Phil Savage clearly felt like Saban was about to leave.
    "I don't know what class is but I can tell when one has it, you can tell from a mile away"
    -- Coach Bryant

"We always talk about playing 60 minutes but this is a 60-10 game: the 60 minutes of the game and the 10 minutes in the locker room after the game that you remember for the rest of your life."
    -- Nick Saban day after beating Clemson

BamaNation All-American CrimsonNagus's Avatar

“Saban has personally told me that he didn’t go to Texas because he wouldn’t have just one boss, he’d have to answer to 20-30 bosses. He knew what he had at Bama and only has to answer to one boss.”

That’s roughly what Finebaum just said on his show.

BamaNation Hall of Fame BamaMoon's Avatar

I've been told that when Mack Brown was at Texas that every Friday that UT was playing a home game on Saturday, there was a group of Billionaires -- with a "B" -- that expected Brown to have lunch with them and he did.

Can you imagine CNS coddling up to that???

BamaNation Hall of Fame selmaborntidefan's Avatar

If Nick Saban wanted to coach at Texas AS BADLY as all these folks keep saying years later.......then he would have gone to Texas.

If he didn't go because of the alumni and their nonsense, he didn't "want" to coach Texas.

He clearly never did because he isn't and never did.
    My New Year's resolution for 2019 is this year I'm not going to drink anymore. I'm not going to drink any less, either.

I was married for 25 years, but if I'd killed her on the honeymoon, I'd have been out in less than 20.

Butch Jones has richly earned his title, The Archbishop of Talentbury

After reading all the horrible things drinking will do to you....I gave up reading.

Quote Originally Posted by selmaborntidefan View Post
    If Nick Saban wanted to coach at Texas AS BADLY as all these folks keep saying years later.......then he would have gone to Texas.

If he didn't go because of the alumni and their nonsense, he didn't "want" to coach Texas.

He clearly never did because he isn't and never did.
    Or....

He liked the idea until he took the time to look at everything and realized Texas boosters were worse than Alabama boosters were in December 2006, at which point he realized it wasn't worth the money.
    "I don't know what class is but I can tell when one has it, you can tell from a mile away"
    -- Coach Bryant

"We always talk about playing 60 minutes but this is a 60-10 game: the 60 minutes of the game and the 10 minutes in the locker room after the game that you remember for the rest of your life."
    -- Nick Saban day after beating Clemson

Yep, pretty much the same version I heard back at the time, with Red McCombs' name prominently mentioned and with no Mal Moore to run interference.
    Last edited by bama61; July 9th, 2019 at 03:37 PM.

BamaNation Hall of Fame

Quote Originally Posted by RTR91 View Post
    Or....

He liked the idea until he took the time to look at everything and realized Texas boosters were worse than Alabama boosters were in December 2006, at which point he realized it wasn't worth the money.
    Not to mention, he and his main man Sexton used the flirtation to pull some more money out of the powers that be in Tuscaloosa. That little scam that the agents and coaches use every year seems laughable, but it seems to work every single time.

Quote Originally Posted by teamplayer View Post
    Not to mention, he and his main man Sexton used the flirtation to pull some more money out of the powers that be in Tuscaloosa. That little scam that the agents and coaches use every year seems laughable, but it seems to work every single time.
    OTOH, all he really has to do is ask. Whatever he asks, he's worth it...
    "The cure for boredom is curiosity. There is no cure for curiosity. - Ellen Parr"

'If today were the last day of my life, would I want to do what I am about to do today?' - Steve Jobs

“I would rather live my life as if there is a god and die to find out there isn't, than live my life as if there isn't and die to find out there is.” Albert Camus

"When Fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross." - Sinclair Lewis

BamaNation Hall of Fame GrayTide's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by teamplayer View Post
    That little scam only works if the coach is winning, oh wait, Gus got $49 million for 7 years. Year one was 2018 with an 8-5 record. What a bunch of fools in Lee County.
    "My momma always said you got to put the past behind you before you can move on." Forrest Gump

"The past is never dead. It's not even past." William Faulkner

FB|BB Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by RTR91 View Post
    Or....

Full banjeaux for this.

Additionally, I think the fact that it got out leading up to our NC game, in enough detail that Saban knew only a select few could possibly have leaked it, was a killer. He knew that, if they'd leak that, under the circumstances, they honestly believe they will say and do anything in the belief that their money can make it all better...it's just a matter of negotiating price.

At that point, the UTw money got too expensive. He leveraged the dalliance into more money at Alabama and a bailout on a failed seven-figure spec house investment. So we are where we are, and UTw is where it is, still whining about if Colt hadn't gotten hurt.

They are honestly pitch-black-blind as to why their money couldn't get them what they wanted.
    Last edited by 4Q Basket Case; July 9th, 2019 at 07:32 PM.
    You can't reason a man out of a position he didn't reason himself into.