Texas regent still says Nick Saban was coming in 2013 - Page 4
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Re: Texas regent still says Nick Saban was coming in 2013

"Texas regent still says Nick Saban was coming in 2013"

Oderint dum metuant - Lucius Accius

BamaNation Second Team

Let me get this straight, saban wanted to go to texas but Big Mac brown said no and that was that? Horse Hockey. If saban wanted to come, you can bet your last dollar , the regents would have made it happen. See ya Mac, you've been great but you gotta go.

BamaNation Hall of Fame BamaMoon's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by selmaborntidefan View Post
    I can buy this.

In movie quote parlance, they made Gus an offer he couldn't refuse.
    I think Gus will one day regret not moving back home. He would have received a hero welcome and the pressure there isn't as bad there as to win at Auburn.

His time at Auburn is limited unless CNS heads to the lake sooner than we expect.

Quote Originally Posted by 81usaf92 View Post
    To be fair, I don’t think Gus and his agent played Auburn as much as the Auburn president did. From what I was told by some Auburn fans that have some connections is that Gus actually wanted to go to Arkansas, but Auburn threw him a deal that he just couldn’t refuse with a sane mind.

More or less Gus was gone even after the IB, but Auburn just couldn’t bare that a coach chose Arkansas over Auburn weeks after beat UGA and Alabama.
    And with a lame duck AD, Leath was the only one that could make the decision (outside the BOT). Fans wouldn't have been very happy if he let Gus walk to Arkansas just after beating Georgia and Alabama in three weeks.
    "I don't know what class is but I can tell when one has it, you can tell from a mile away"
    -- Coach Bryant

"We always talk about playing 60 minutes but this is a 60-10 game: the 60 minutes of the game and the 10 minutes in the locker room after the game that you remember for the rest of your life."
    -- Nick Saban day after beating Clemson

Oh definitely.

And the entire logic in Texas terms was to refer back to Franchione.

I never could figure this out.

I finally decided it was so illogical that it was a waste of my time to figure out.

Well, you start out with the premise that enough money will buy anyone. It's untrue, but they believe it. Next, Franchione left Bama for TAMU over money (he didn't) and UT has even more money than TAMU, and, presto, they have more money than Saban could resist. This also turned out to be false. Working conditions matter...
    "The cure for boredom is curiosity. There is no cure for curiosity. - Ellen Parr"

'If today were the last day of my life, would I want to do what I am about to do today?' - Steve Jobs

“I would rather live my life as if there is a god and die to find out there isn't, than live my life as if there isn't and die to find out there is.” Albert Camus

"When Fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross." - Sinclair Lewis

BamaNation Hall of Fame BamaMoon's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by RTR91 View Post
    And with a lame duck AD, Leath was the only one that could make the decision (outside the BOT). Fans wouldn't have been very happy if he let Gus walk to Arkansas just after beating Georgia and Alabama in three weeks.
    And that's how "ticklish" it is for Gus. One or two wins/losses and it goes in two different directions for him.

Quote Originally Posted by BamaMoon View Post
    And that's how "ticklish" it is for Gus. One or two wins/losses and it goes in two different directions for him.
    It's a product of a school like AU which basically has a one-game season. Well, maybe two-game, since UGA is also at the top of their "must win" list...
    "The cure for boredom is curiosity. There is no cure for curiosity. - Ellen Parr"

'If today were the last day of my life, would I want to do what I am about to do today?' - Steve Jobs

“I would rather live my life as if there is a god and die to find out there isn't, than live my life as if there isn't and die to find out there is.” Albert Camus

"When Fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross." - Sinclair Lewis

BamaNation All-American bamamc1's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by TIDE-HSV View Post
    It's a product of a school like AU which basically has a one-game season. Well, maybe two-game, since UGA is also at the top of their "must win" list...
    What record gets him out of there this year?

BamaNation Hall of Fame 81usaf92's Avatar

3) Throw our arms around him and declare him, "the one we always wanted."
    I really don't know why many Alabama fans fall for that stupid narrative to this day. Unless you want to say that Shula didn't dig us into a bigger hole or was a decent human being I don't know many positives of having him as a coach. But yet a good many Alabama fans still act like he was the only name that wanted the job or was the best coach that wanted the job just to say something positive about him
    "Aut viam inveniam aut faciam."

Hannibal

BamaNation All-American CaliforniaTide's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by BamaMoon View Post
    Case in point: losing to UT, and then winning the bowl game. Almost two entirely different narratives there for Gus.
    It's the edge of the world
    And all of Western civilization
    The sun may rise in the East
    At least it settles in its final location
    It's understood that Hollywood
    Sells Californication - Red Hot Chili Peppers in Californication

Look at that dude go all Dareus on that colt...

Quote Originally Posted by bamamc1 View Post
    What record gets him out of there this year?
    He could hold on with 8-5 and a win over Bama. Their hatred is that bad...

FB|BB Moderator

Earle, I think he could be 7-6, so long as there's a win over us.

Goes like this: 6-5 headed into the Iron Bowl, which he somehow wins. In the process, he simultaneously destroys our NC chances, and is now 7-5.

But then loses the Shreveport or similar bowl game, for an EOY 7-6.

Another way: they're 5-6 going into the Iron Bowl. They pull the upset, and are now 6-6. They win the resulting loser bowl, and are similarly 7-6.

In either scenario, I think they keep him for the reasons you've already cited....essentially that they hate us more than they love their own team.

Assuming a win over us, for the barn to fire Malzahn, they'd have to enter the IB 4-7 or worse, and therefore not qualify for a bowl even with the upset. Even then, I'm not 100% sure they pull the trigger.

Conversely, with a loss to us, I'm not 100% sure 10-3 would save him. 9-4 almost assuredly wouldn't, again assuming one of the four was to us.

Bottom line: within a wide range of W-L record, Gus Malzahn's tenure comes down to whether they beat us this year.

Let them hate, so long as they fear -- and make stupid personnel decisions as a result of that fear.
    Last edited by 4Q Basket Case; July 10th, 2019 at 09:16 PM.
    You can't reason a man out of a position he didn't reason himself into.

BamaNation Hall of Fame DzynKingRTR's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by TIDE-HSV View Post
    He could hold on with 8-5 and a win over Bama. Their hatred is that bad...
    Quote Originally Posted by 4Q Basket Case View Post
    Earle, I think he could be 7-6, so long as there's a win over us.

Goes like this: 6-5 headed into the Iron Bowl, which he somehow wins. In the process, he simultaneously destroys our NC chances, and is now 7-5.

But then loses the Shreveport or similar bowl game, for an EOY 7-6.

Another way: they're 5-6 going into the Iron Bowl. They pull the They pull the upset, andRe now 6-6.

In that scenario, I think they keep him for the reasons you've already cited....essentially that they hate us more than they love their own team.
    I have heard some of their fans say they could go 1-11 and if that one win was over Alabama, they would be happy.
    Architects do it with models.

Roll Tide Roll