Texas regent still says Nick Saban was coming in 2013 - Page 5
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345
Results 53 to 62 of 62
  1. #53
    FB|BB Moderator
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Burbs of Birmingham, AL
    Posts
    4,826

    Re: Texas regent still says Nick Saban was coming in 2013

    Quote Originally Posted by DzynKingRTR View Post
    I have heard some of their fans say they could go 1-11 and if that one win was over Alabama, they would be happy.
    My point exactly.

    We lose to the barn in 2017, and are happy to trade that for a National Championship.

    A large portion of their fans would, however, trade a championship of any description for a win over us.

    Until they change that mindset at the program level, they will forever be where they are.

    I don't expect that to happen in my lifetime.
    Last edited by 4Q Basket Case; July 10th, 2019 at 09:58 PM.
    You can't reason a man out of a position he didn't reason himself into.

  2. #54
    BamaNation All-American ccc2259's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Lower Alabama
    Posts
    2,427

    Re: Texas regent still says Nick Saban was coming in 2013

    Do I think Sexton had a conversation with UT similar to that in the story? Yep.

    Do I think CNS wanted to go to UT? Nope.

    Agents doing what agents do.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "Bryant can take his'n and beat your'n, and then he can turn around and take your'n and beat his'n." -- Houston Oiler head coach Bum Phillips, a former player under Coach Bryant

  3. #55
    BamaNation Hall of Fame
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Gadsden, Al.
    Posts
    6,095

    Re: Texas regent still says Nick Saban was coming in 2013

    Was that when Mrs.Terri bought a $10,000,000 house there?
    Matthew McConaughey said thanks...
    The Longhorns were all excited and wanted to believe...

  4. #56
    BamaNation Hall of Fame 81usaf92's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Sylacauga,AL
    Posts
    11,235
    Thread Starter

    Re: Texas regent still says Nick Saban was coming in 2013

    FWIW I do think CNS was looking to move on from Alabama, but I think the realization that Texas wasnít going to be as easy to get the BOT, alumni, and boosters in line probably resulted in him telling bill to up his pay and he would stay. I just think Texas just canít come to grips that it was rejected.

  5. #57
    BamaNation Hall of Fame selmaborntidefan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2000
    Location
    Dallas, TX
    Posts
    19,758

    Re: Texas regent still says Nick Saban was coming in 2013

    Quote Originally Posted by TIDE-HSV View Post
    Well, you start out with the premise that enough money will buy anyone. It's untrue, but they believe it. Next, Franchione left Bama for TAMU over money (he didn't) and UT has even more money than TAMU, and, presto, they have more money than Saban could resist. This also turned out to be false. Working conditions matter...
    Oh, yeah, I know.

    But try pointing that out.


    They really thought - and I'm deadly serious here - they really thought they were in a bidding war with Kansas. I finally got my labor buddy who is smart about a lot of things to see what I saying when I simply retorted, "The question isn't whether your school has substantially more money; the question is, 'What annual salary are you going to pay Saban that Alabama can't match? Because we both know you're not forking over $100 million a year for a coach.'"

    That dude that posted that whole long post as Jesus Shuttlesworth on the UT board.....a few of their smart fans were even telling him that several of the things he listed were going to cause Texas major problems with the NCAA if they were true.

    But.....that's all water over the dam now. Ancient history, just like a relevant Ole Miss.
    My New Year's resolution for 2019 is this year I'm not going to drink anymore. I'm not going to drink any less, either.

    I was married for 25 years, but if I'd killed her on the honeymoon, I'd have been out in less than 20.

    Butch Jones has richly earned his title, The Archbishop of Talentbury

    After reading all the horrible things drinking will do to you....I gave up reading.

  6. #58
    BamaNation Hall of Fame
    Join Date
    Jul 2001
    Location
    cullman, al, usa
    Posts
    5,585

    Re: Texas regent still says Nick Saban was coming in 2013

    Quote Originally Posted by bamabill123 View Post
    Let me get this straight, saban wanted to go to texas but Big Mac brown said no and that was that? Horse Hockey. If saban wanted to come, you can bet your last dollar , the regents would have made it happen. See ya Mac, you've been great but you gotta go.
    Think about the Auburn coaches in this situation. I assume many of them knew where the bodies were buried, so to speak, so they got a lot of extra money just to go away quietly. Maybe Mack Brown knew where the bodies were buried and wasn't willing to go away quietly so they were forced to "respect" his wishes.

  7. #59
    BamaNation Hall of Fame 81usaf92's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Sylacauga,AL
    Posts
    11,235
    Thread Starter

    Re: Texas regent still says Nick Saban was coming in 2013

    Quote Originally Posted by selmaborntidefan View Post
    Oh, yeah, I know.

    But try pointing that out.


    They really thought - and I'm deadly serious here - they really thought they were in a bidding war with Kansas. I finally got my labor buddy who is smart about a lot of things to see what I saying when I simply retorted, "The question isn't whether your school has substantially more money; the question is, 'What annual salary are you going to pay Saban that Alabama can't match? Because we both know you're not forking over $100 million a year for a coach.'"

    That dude that posted that whole long post as Jesus Shuttlesworth on the UT board.....a few of their smart fans were even telling him that several of the things he listed were going to cause Texas major problems with the NCAA if they were true.

    But.....that's all water over the dam now. Ancient history, just like a relevant Ole Miss.
    I was told by several aTm alums that if you take out Florida then aTm has more money than the whole SEC combined. They also said the main reason they left the Big XII was because Texas wasnít fairly distributing the money from LHN and the Big XII money. If Texas makes way more than aTm, and either of those two above statements are correct then Texas wouldíve been able to afford Saban for what many of their yahoos claimed they offered. Basically it tells me either they didnít offer it or Saban turned them down... perhaps a little of both.

  8. #60
    BamaNation Hall of Fame BamaMoon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    Plano, TX
    Posts
    11,798

    Re: Texas regent still says Nick Saban was coming in 2013

    Quote Originally Posted by 81usaf92 View Post
    I was told by several aTm alums that if you take out Florida then aTm has more money than the whole SEC combined. They also said the main reason they left the Big XII was because Texas wasn’t fairly distributing the money from LHN and the Big XII money. If Texas makes way more than aTm, and either of those two above statements are correct then Texas would’ve been able to afford Saban for what many of their yahoos claimed they offered. Basically it tells me either they didn’t offer it or Saban turned them down... perhaps a little of both.
    The Big 12 doesn't have equal sharing. UT and OU are the top dogs. I'm sure that had something to do with the Aggies bolting to the SEC, where Vandy gets the same check Bama gets every year.

  9. #61
    BamaNation Hall of Fame selmaborntidefan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2000
    Location
    Dallas, TX
    Posts
    19,758

    Re: Texas regent still says Nick Saban was coming in 2013

    Quote Originally Posted by 81usaf92 View Post
    I was told by several aTm alums that if you take out Florida then aTm has more money than the whole SEC combined. They also said the main reason they left the Big XII was because Texas wasn’t fairly distributing the money from LHN and the Big XII money. If Texas makes way more than aTm, and either of those two above statements are correct then Texas would’ve been able to afford Saban for what many of their yahoos claimed they offered. Basically it tells me either they didn’t offer it or Saban turned them down... perhaps a little of both.

    The question is not whether Texas could have paid Saban $10M a year. Nobody debates that.

    The question is whether Alabama could have paid Saban $10 M a year in a bidding war - and we no doubt could have.

    Money was never going to be the issue one way or the other - but your Aggie friends reinforce that idea.

    IIRC - and I won't pretend I do since I was in med school at the time and VERY busy with other things - I believe our contract offer for Fran was something like $2.2 million, and he signed with them for only maybe a fraction more. That insinuated to the Texas JR Ewing brains that we couldn't even match them in a bidding war. But, of course, the Fran thing was NEVER about money.

    They carry a stereotype of Alabama as maybe one step above Jethro Bodine if that.

    Texas fans here still insist that when Franchione came to ATM, he only did it because "he really wanted to come to Texas and we wouldn't hire him."

    I mean.....where does that mentality arise?


    But if you told these folks there are plenty of people who DO NOT have any desire whatsoever to come to Texas, they insist you're wrong. As noted above, Gary Barnett would have rather stayed with Northwestern than go to Texas. Butch Davis preferred staying on probation riddled Miami to coming to Texas. And in 2013, they went down to the B list and got Charlie Strong.

    WILL MUSCHAMP preferred to flop in Florida than to stay in Texas, even though he was "the head coach in waiting."

    The EVIDENCE shows there's a lot of people not exactly enthralled with the idea of Texas and their money. But good luck getting an admission from those egomaniacs.
    My New Year's resolution for 2019 is this year I'm not going to drink anymore. I'm not going to drink any less, either.

    I was married for 25 years, but if I'd killed her on the honeymoon, I'd have been out in less than 20.

    Butch Jones has richly earned his title, The Archbishop of Talentbury

    After reading all the horrible things drinking will do to you....I gave up reading.

  10. #62
    BamaNation Hall of Fame CoastGhost's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    North Carolina
    Posts
    5,574

    Re: Texas regent still says Nick Saban was coming in 2013

    Yeah, and Germany was going to win WWII, depending on who you asked ...

Bookmarks

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

TideFansStore.com Bama Gear