Texas regent still says Nick Saban was coming in 2013

bamabill123

Scout Team
Dec 9, 2018
Let me get this straight, saban wanted to go to texas but Big Mac brown said no and that was that? Horse Hockey. If saban wanted to come, you can bet your last dollar , the regents would have made it happen. See ya Mac, you've been great but you gotta go.

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
I can buy this.

In movie quote parlance, they made Gus an offer he couldn't refuse.
I think Gus will one day regret not moving back home. He would have received a hero welcome and the pressure there isn't as bad there as to win at Auburn.

His time at Auburn is limited unless CNS heads to the lake sooner than we expect.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
To be fair, I don’t think Gus and his agent played Auburn as much as the Auburn president did. From what I was told by some Auburn fans that have some connections is that Gus actually wanted to go to Arkansas, but Auburn threw him a deal that he just couldn’t refuse with a sane mind.

More or less Gus was gone even after the IB, but Auburn just couldn’t bare that a coach chose Arkansas over Auburn weeks after beat UGA and Alabama.
And with a lame duck AD, Leath was the only one that could make the decision (outside the BOT). Fans wouldn't have been very happy if he let Gus walk to Arkansas just after beating Georgia and Alabama in three weeks.

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
Oh definitely.

And the entire logic in Texas terms was to refer back to Franchione.

I never could figure this out.

I finally decided it was so illogical that it was a waste of my time to figure out.

:)
Well, you start out with the premise that enough money will buy anyone. It's untrue, but they believe it. Next, Franchione left Bama for TAMU over money (he didn't) and UT has even more money than TAMU, and, presto, they have more money than Saban could resist. This also turned out to be false. Working conditions matter...

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
And with a lame duck AD, Leath was the only one that could make the decision (outside the BOT). Fans wouldn't have been very happy if he let Gus walk to Arkansas just after beating Georgia and Alabama in three weeks.
And that's how "ticklish" it is for Gus. One or two wins/losses and it goes in two different directions for him.

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
And that's how "ticklish" it is for Gus. One or two wins/losses and it goes in two different directions for him.
It's a product of a school like AU which basically has a one-game season. Well, maybe two-game, since UGA is also at the top of their "must win" list...

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
3) Throw our arms around him and declare him, "the one we always wanted."
I really don't know why many Alabama fans fall for that stupid narrative to this day. Unless you want to say that Shula didn't dig us into a bigger hole or was a decent human being I don't know many positives of having him as a coach. But yet a good many Alabama fans still act like he was the only name that wanted the job or was the best coach that wanted the job just to say something positive about him

4Q Basket Case

FB|BB Moderator
Staff member
Nov 8, 2004
Tuscaloosa
Earle, I think he could be 7-6, so long as there's a win over us.

Goes like this: 6-5 headed into the Iron Bowl, which he somehow wins. In the process, he simultaneously destroys our NC chances, and is now 7-5.

But then loses the Shreveport or similar bowl game, for an EOY 7-6.

Another way: they're 5-6 going into the Iron Bowl. They pull the upset, and are now 6-6. They win the resulting loser bowl, and are similarly 7-6.

In either scenario, I think they keep him for the reasons you've already cited....essentially that they hate us more than they love their own team.

Assuming a win over us, for the barn to fire Malzahn, they'd have to enter the IB 4-7 or worse, and therefore not qualify for a bowl even with the upset. Even then, I'm not 100% sure they pull the trigger.

Conversely, with a loss to us, I'm not 100% sure 10-3 would save him. 9-4 almost assuredly wouldn't, again assuming one of the four was to us.

Bottom line: within a wide range of W-L record, Gus Malzahn's tenure comes down to whether they beat us this year.

Let them hate, so long as they fear -- and make stupid personnel decisions as a result of that fear.

Last edited:

DzynKingRTR

TideFans Legend
Dec 17, 2003
Vinings, ga., usa
He could hold on with 8-5 and a win over Bama. Their hatred is that bad...
Earle, I think he could be 7-6, so long as there's a win over us.

Goes like this: 6-5 headed into the Iron Bowl, which he somehow wins. In the process, he simultaneously destroys our NC chances, and is now 7-5.

But then loses the Shreveport or similar bowl game, for an EOY 7-6.

Another way: they're 5-6 going into the Iron Bowl. They pull the They pull the upset, andRe now 6-6.

In that scenario, I think they keep him for the reasons you've already cited....essentially that they hate us more than they love their own team.
I have heard some of their fans say they could go 1-11 and if that one win was over Alabama, they would be happy.

4Q Basket Case

FB|BB Moderator
Staff member
Nov 8, 2004
Tuscaloosa
I have heard some of their fans say they could go 1-11 and if that one win was over Alabama, they would be happy.
My point exactly.

We lose to the barn in 2017, and are happy to trade that for a National Championship.

A large portion of their fans would, however, trade a championship of any description for a win over us.

Until they change that mindset at the program level, they will forever be where they are.

I don't expect that to happen in my lifetime.

Last edited:

ccc2259

All-American
Oct 29, 2010
Lower Alabama
Do I think Sexton had a conversation with UT similar to that in the story? Yep.

Do I think CNS wanted to go to UT? Nope.

Agents doing what agents do.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ole Man Dan

Hall of Fame
Apr 21, 2008
Gadsden, Al.
Was that when Mrs.Terri bought a $10,000,000 house there?
Matthew McConaughey said thanks...
The Longhorns were all excited and wanted to believe...

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
FWIW I do think CNS was looking to move on from Alabama, but I think the realization that Texas wasn’t going to be as easy to get the BOT, alumni, and boosters in line probably resulted in him telling bill to up his pay and he would stay. I just think Texas just can’t come to grips that it was rejected.

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
Well, you start out with the premise that enough money will buy anyone. It's untrue, but they believe it. Next, Franchione left Bama for TAMU over money (he didn't) and UT has even more money than TAMU, and, presto, they have more money than Saban could resist. This also turned out to be false. Working conditions matter...
Oh, yeah, I know.

But try pointing that out.

They really thought - and I'm deadly serious here - they really thought they were in a bidding war with Kansas. I finally got my labor buddy who is smart about a lot of things to see what I saying when I simply retorted, "The question isn't whether your school has substantially more money; the question is, 'What annual salary are you going to pay Saban that Alabama can't match? Because we both know you're not forking over $100 million a year for a coach.'"

That dude that posted that whole long post as Jesus Shuttlesworth on the UT board.....a few of their smart fans were even telling him that several of the things he listed were going to cause Texas major problems with the NCAA if they were true.

But.....that's all water over the dam now. Ancient history, just like a relevant Ole Miss.

teamplayer

Hall of Fame
Jul 31, 2001
cullman, al, usa
Let me get this straight, saban wanted to go to texas but Big Mac brown said no and that was that? Horse Hockey. If saban wanted to come, you can bet your last dollar , the regents would have made it happen. See ya Mac, you've been great but you gotta go.
Think about the Auburn coaches in this situation. I assume many of them knew where the bodies were buried, so to speak, so they got a lot of extra money just to go away quietly. Maybe Mack Brown knew where the bodies were buried and wasn't willing to go away quietly so they were forced to "respect" his wishes.

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
Oh, yeah, I know.

But try pointing that out.

They really thought - and I'm deadly serious here - they really thought they were in a bidding war with Kansas. I finally got my labor buddy who is smart about a lot of things to see what I saying when I simply retorted, "The question isn't whether your school has substantially more money; the question is, 'What annual salary are you going to pay Saban that Alabama can't match? Because we both know you're not forking over $100 million a year for a coach.'"

That dude that posted that whole long post as Jesus Shuttlesworth on the UT board.....a few of their smart fans were even telling him that several of the things he listed were going to cause Texas major problems with the NCAA if they were true.

But.....that's all water over the dam now. Ancient history, just like a relevant Ole Miss.
I was told by several aTm alums that if you take out Florida then aTm has more money than the whole SEC combined. They also said the main reason they left the Big XII was because Texas wasn’t fairly distributing the money from LHN and the Big XII money. If Texas makes way more than aTm, and either of those two above statements are correct then Texas would’ve been able to afford Saban for what many of their yahoos claimed they offered. Basically it tells me either they didn’t offer it or Saban turned them down... perhaps a little of both.

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
I was told by several aTm alums that if you take out Florida then aTm has more money than the whole SEC combined. They also said the main reason they left the Big XII was because Texas wasn’t fairly distributing the money from LHN and the Big XII money. If Texas makes way more than aTm, and either of those two above statements are correct then Texas would’ve been able to afford Saban for what many of their yahoos claimed they offered. Basically it tells me either they didn’t offer it or Saban turned them down... perhaps a little of both.
The Big 12 doesn't have equal sharing. UT and OU are the top dogs. I'm sure that had something to do with the Aggies bolting to the SEC, where Vandy gets the same check Bama gets every year.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.