Question: What will it take for Bama to win another NC this year?

daddybama1

BamaNation Citizen
Nov 10, 2018
Not sure why this got you going...all i really said is that they would be "hard to beat"...not impossible to beat. Yes, Tue is generational also...but i still would pick TL over him if I was a GM. A few weeks ago I spoke one on one with a top 10 pick in the 1st round QB...he played a long time in the NFL...i asked him about TL and Tua...he said Tua will be a long time starter and a very good NFL QB (he said like Russell Wilson)...TL is a HOF john elway type! From his view point there is a difference. Reminder...the question asked on here was "what would keep us from winning another NC? i just answered the question: If TL keeps maturing and because CU also has great talent around him...they will present a problem. That is a very reasonable response with facts to back it up...the facts are we got stomped by them. Then folks want to act like it was a fluke...my response to that is simple "okay"...i aint going to argue within the echo chamber of Bama football. #rolltide

Tua looked generational against better teams..Our WR corps is the best in the country...We have three NFL RBs, and a better line. I could keep going...WE will be hard to beat as well, and we actually play in the toughest (BY FAR) conference in the country. One more time...Clemson's two toughest games of the year are against SEC opponents. We'll have to earn it while they coast to another ACC Championship game against a .500 team...Thanks for getting me going right out of the box...How's the water in the lake???

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
Not sure why this got you going...

That is a very reasonable response with facts to back it up...the facts are we got stomped by them. Then folks want to act like it was a fluke...my response to that is simple "okay"...i aint going to argue within the echo chamber of Bama football. #rolltide
But the issue is that despite TL being very good (as I admitted) we had some "flukey" bad plays and they had some "flukey" good plays -- sometimes on the same play. At any rate, give them their due, but my point is that we didn't play as bad as it seemed. Go watch the game again and noticed how we moved the ball at ease the whole game but, unlike most of the year, we just struggled to score. Yeah, makes it look awful on the scoreboard, but they were not that much better than us and I contend TL won't enjoy those same "breaks" next time.

tusks_n_raider

Hall of Fame
May 13, 2009
Mobile, AL
Actually TL is as close to superman as they come as a QB...not just real good...generational...don't ask me...just look at what every NFL scout and coach and GM is saying...even other great NFL QB's are saying the same thing. This guy was only 18 last year. If he just moves forward at a very average rate and stays healthy, we and everyone else is in trouble. Look, I wish it were not so, but I aint going to be delusional and just deny what is crystal clear. And although I think we have the best WR core in the country and the 2nd best QB in the country...Clempson has 2 1st round picks at WR and probably a 1st round RB...If TL is healthy and maturing ...they will be hard to beat.

Tua faced MUCH tougher competition all year long grinding it out in the SEC and he still had a NCAA Record Breaking 199.4 QBR (1st) and averaged 11.2 YPA (2nd) in his 1st year starting.

TL by comparison had a QBR of 157.6 (12th) and averaged 8.3 YPA (20th)

He's good.... really really good... and yes they beat us head to head.... but he's not a better QB than Tua.

I mean give me a break. There's a reason 'Tanking for Tua' is buzzing around the NFL.

Tide&True

All-American
Sep 24, 2004
Murfreesboro, TN
Talking about Tua and TL comparisons...when healthy I’d take Tua because he has wheels too. I think the main difference last year was TL had great protection from his line.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

cindym

All-SEC
Oct 14, 2009
saraland, al
Something I hope we get back to this year is sending LB’s and DB’s on a blitz from time to time. We need that ball-hawking defense back.

Decleating LT in the title game would do my soul good.

Yes, and you throw in that our best pass
Rushers were on the sideline makes for a long night which is what we got, i remember times in the nc game we would manage alittle pressure and TL didnt handle it very well we just couldnt do it consistently enough to get off the field on 3rd downs :(

DzynKingRTR

TideFans Legend
Dec 17, 2003
Vinings, ga., usa
Actually TL is as close to superman as they come as a QB...not just real good...generational...don't ask me...just look at what every NFL scout and coach and GM is saying...even other great NFL QB's are saying the same thing. This guy was only 18 last year. If he just moves forward at a very average rate and stays healthy, we and everyone else is in trouble. Look, I wish it were not so, but I aint going to be delusional and just deny what is crystal clear. And although i think we have the best WR core in the country and the 2nd best QB in the country...Clempson has 2 1st round picks at WR and probably a 1st round RB...If TL is healthy and maturing ...they will be hard to beat.
Don't know if I would put much stock into what NFL scouts, coaches, and GMs are saying. They are hardly ever right.

CajunCrimson

Moderator (FB,BB) and Vinyl Enthusiast
Staff member
Mar 13, 2001
Breaux Bridge, La
Clemson won because their long term DC outcoached our OC and our QB

That wasn’t a loss due to Clemson out talenting us. It was because they knew where Tua was thinking as he thought it.

I’m guessing TL has a soph slump. A big one.

4Q Basket Case

FB|BB Moderator
Staff member
Nov 8, 2004
Tuscaloosa

That wasn’t a loss due to Clemson out talenting us. It was because they knew where Tua was thinking as he thought it.

I hope you’re right about the sophomore slump.

But I’m also curious....why do you expect that?

daddybama1

BamaNation Citizen
Nov 10, 2018
Though I have love my Tide since as early as I can remember...this is why most everyone else pulls against us. The excuses a lot of our fans make when we do get beat. "flukey here and flukey there"...not as bad as the score seems...there were not that much better than us...if we could have only held them on 3rd down...we had more talent...we were tired from our SEC schedule...we lost the bama factor...we played in the heat vs. OU...they had the easy game vs. ND...we always lose all of our coaches and clempson does not...TL will have a slump in 2019...man the list goes on and on! Booger Mcfarland said it best recently: "I've been listening to your show, Paul, and I kind've been a little disappointed," McFarland said. "OK, and here's why: Everyone seems to seems to say that when Alabama loses that the kids aren't focused. 'OK, Mack Wilson is worried about being the Butkus (Award winner for best linebacker in the country). These players are concerned with their individual accolades.' How about just saying Clemson was a better team, and they got beat? That's the one thing that people that call in to your show don't just say.

I am convinced that Clempson and us will be in the playoffs again and we surely can beat them...no doubt there...but our biggest obstacle will be a healthy and maturing TLaw. #bookitdano #rolltideroll

But the issue is that despite TL being very good (as I admitted) we had some "flukey" bad plays and they had some "flukey" good plays -- sometimes on the same play. At any rate, give them their due, but my point is that we didn't play as bad as it seemed. Go watch the game again and noticed how we moved the ball at ease the whole game but, unlike most of the year, we just struggled to score. Yeah, makes it look awful on the scoreboard, but they were not that much better than us and I contend TL won't enjoy those same "breaks" next time.

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
Though I have love my Tide since as early as I can remember...this is why most everyone else pulls against us.
The reason everyone else pulls against us is because we usually beat everybody we play...not because of what we say when we lose.

You quote "Booger" as your confirmation??? A former LSU player???

And for the record, I'm not trying to convince a Clemson fan or LSU fan that our game against Clemson was not our best, I'm saying this to an "Alabama fan" who doesn't want to admit that game was filled with untypical Bama play and several good breaks for Clemson. If I'm talking to a Clemson fan, like I did at Disney a few weeks after the game, I say "Y'all played a great game, Congrats." It's really a compliment to Clemson that they were the one team good enough to totally exploit our obvious tendencies and mistakes in that game. But to act like we didn't make it pretty easy for them at times is failing to see the game in perspective.

You just seem to protest a little too much IMO and that doesn't seem to sit well with your self professed "I...love my Tide..." statement.

Last edited:

The Ols

Hall of Fame
Jul 8, 2012
Cumming,Ga.
Still waiting to hear how the water is in the lake???
Though I have love my Tide since as early as I can remember...this is why most everyone else pulls against us. The excuses a lot of our fans make when we do get beat. "flukey here and flukey there"...not as bad as the score seems...there were not that much better than us...if we could have only held them on 3rd down...we had more talent...we were tired from our SEC schedule...we lost the bama factor...we played in the heat vs. OU...they had the easy game vs. ND...we always lose all of our coaches and clempson does not...TL will have a slump in 2019...man the list goes on and on! Booger Mcfarland said it best recently: "I've been listening to your show, Paul, and I kind've been a little disappointed," McFarland said. "OK, and here's why: Everyone seems to seems to say that when Alabama loses that the kids aren't focused. 'OK, Mack Wilson is worried about being the Butkus (Award winner for best linebacker in the country). These players are concerned with their individual accolades.' How about just saying Clemson was a better team, and they got beat? That's the one thing that people that call in to your show don't just say.

I am convinced that Clempson and us will be in the playoffs again and we surely can beat them...no doubt there...but our biggest obstacle will be a healthy and maturing TLaw. #bookitdano #rolltideroll

allybama2009

1st Team
Jan 1, 2009
Conway, SC

Tough to have a slumo when you plac in the ACC. I do agree with the outcoaching part. Rtr

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

JustNeedMe81

Hall of Fame
Sep 30, 2011
Huntsville, Al
We lost to Clemson because we did not make adjustments on Defense and playcalling. We didn't have platoon system. We didn't have the depth for that because we did not develop the depth at all. now with new coaches on staff this year, I expect lot of things addressed with Defense and Offfense.

To get to SEC Championship and Playoff, we must be more consistent on Defense and make sure Tua stay healthy. On top of that, Mac, Tauila and Paul must be ready to play if necessary. Also, Here's hoping that Tua learned his lesson on understanding when to check down to RB and TE if the play isn't there. Do that, and we will be fine.

GrayTide

Hall of Fame
Nov 15, 2005
Greenbow, Alabama
We lost to Clemson because we did not make adjustments on Defense and playcalling. We didn't have platoon system. We didn't have the depth for that because we did not develop the depth at all., I expect lot of things addressed with Defense and Offfense.

To get to SEC Championship and Playoff, we must be more consistent on Defense and make sure Tua stay healthy. On top of that, Mac, Tauila and Paul must be ready to play if necessary. Also, Here's hoping that Tua learned his lesson on understanding when to check down to RB and TE if the play isn't there. Do that, and we will be fine.
Everything you mentioned, highlighted above, would be classified as being out-coached. That is why CNS unloaded or let go of 6 assistants. If you assume that when two teams of equal talent play and one wins in a close game, then it could just be mental mistakes made or a favorable or unfavorable break, when you get blown out it is on the coaching staff. We got blown out regardless of excuses from our fans which is always the case.

daddybama1

BamaNation Citizen
Nov 10, 2018
You are correct about why folks pull against us (we beat everyone)...I should have said that many of the excuses we use when we do lose just adds fuel to the fire. And i can appreciate your response being different to a CU fan! My protesting to much seems to be you doubting my being a die-hard Bama fan??? If i read that wrong, forgive me. Either way, I have no need to defend myself...I KNOW who i pull for...so maybe i'm just simple minded since I played D1 ball and worked in both high level D1 and Pro football...when a team beats you by a bunch my response is just that...we got whipped. #rtr

The reason everyone else pulls against us is because we usually beat everybody we play...not because of what we say when we lose.

You quote "Booger" as your confirmation??? A former LSU player???

And for the record, I'm not trying to convince a Clemson fan or LSU fan that our game against Clemson was not our best, I'm saying this to an "Alabama fan" who doesn't want to admit that game was filled with untypical Bama play and several good breaks for Clemson. If I'm talking to a Clemson fan, like I did at Disney a few weeks after the game, I say "Y'all played a great game, Congrats." It's really a compliment to Clemson that they were the one team good enough to totally exploit our obvious tendencies and mistakes in that game. But to act like we didn't make it pretty easy for them at times is failing to see the game in perspective.

You just seem to protest a little too much IMO and that doesn't seem to sit well with your self professed "I...love my Tide..." statement.

dWarriors88

All-American
Jan 4, 2009
Tulsa, OK
I think the most key factor, and most overlooked one at that is that we have to score more than the other team.. in every game.

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
You are correct about why folks pull against us (we beat everyone)...I should have said that many of the excuses we use when we do lose just adds fuel to the fire. And i can appreciate your response being different to a CU fan! My protesting to much seems to be you doubting my being a die-hard Bama fan??? If i read that wrong, forgive me. Either way, I have no need to defend myself...I KNOW who i pull for...so maybe i'm just simple minded since I played D1 ball and worked in both high level D1 and Pro football...when a team beats you by a bunch my response is just that...we got whipped. #rtr
Fair enough...RTR! But I think we are kinda talking past each other. I don't deny "we got whipped" if you're looking at the scoreboard. ND got whipped in the 2012 BCS game too according to the scoreboard. All I'm saying is we were much more in the game than the score suggested with several stalled drives in their end that amounted to nothing and them getting 14 points after two Tua INTs. It might not matter to you, but since you played it would seem you'd recognize that we didn't get whipped on the field as badly as the score indicates and that next time I don't think Clemson will have it nearly as easily, if in fact we were to meet them again.

Last years two teams in a 10 game match could end 5-5 maybe...us and ND in 2012 would have us winning every game out of 10.

FWIW: here's the stats for the game. I know the score is the final deciding factor but if you look at game stats you don't see evidence for us getting whipped.
https://www.espn.com/college-football/matchup?gameId=401032087

Just for good measure here are the AL vs. ND stats which ended with a remarkably similar score. Keep in mind almost every bit of ND offense stats came after we were up 35-0 and the game was over.

https://www.espn.com/college-football/game?gameId=330070333

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
I'd like to add one anecdotal thought. IIRC, Like almost everyone on this board, I too felt like we were just totally dominated in this game shortly after it ended. It felt like we never were even in it, despite leading in the second quarter.

But as I often do in the dead of the summer, I sometimes go back and watch games and I decided to watch the NC game again recently. This time, without the nervousness of the real-time or the anger of the post game, I watched more objectively and decided, based on our how we moved the ball against them, our uncharacteristically poor execution and some fortunate breaks and acrobatic plays they made, that we didn't get man-handled nearly as bad as I thought.

So my recent comments are based on having watched the game recently. I don't think I'm trying to reconstruct history as much as I'm just looking at the evidence that suggests the scoreboard, while it is all that matters, didn't tell the full story on that game.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.