Duke-Bama tickets for the price of a rack of Dreamland ribs

BamaNation

Publisher and Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
Apr 9, 1999
Silicon Slopes
TideFans.com
With all due respect to the opinions being bantered around on the subject of scheduling...it’s quite telling of the human condition when so many people can’t be happy unless we are complaining about something.

We complain and petition for a schedule filled with games against top-quality apponents.....but when we get that schedule, and our team reaches the final run of the season, we’re disappointed that we’re beat-down more than the team we now have to face who had the easy schedule, and we complain about it.

We complain and gripe about the high cost of a ticket to see our beloved Crimson Tide play.....but when we get an opportunity to see them play in Atlanta for under $30, we complain that it’s an indicator of the “lack of interest” in the game, instead of an opportunity to afford something which we had previously opined over not being able to afford.

I’m half-a-century old, now...and have had to practice hard at developing a “glass-half-full” outlook on life...which wasn’t my natural tendency during the first 50...but I can assure you all that I am enjoying life more now, than I did then. I still get caught in the old mindset sometimes, but for the most part, that guy is not welcome any longer...and when he does show up, I show him the door and send him on his way. Life’s too short...especially when the first 50 is in the rearview mirror. I just wish that I would have made this adjustment years ago...but better late than never.

joel
I think anyone who sees what I posted and thinks I'm "complaining" about Alabama really misses my point by a wide margin.

I'm a business guy. I look at the economics of things - especially as it relates to sustainable football scheduling for "real" D1 football teams (P5+1). My point is not about actually seeing the game live & in person, it's about the bigger picture of what this means for scheduling games like this in the future. Supply/demand and all that. I'm not even really complaining about much other than P5+1 teams scheduling games (neutral and home) - or in this case agreeing to what turns out to be sub-par games - where the attendance is < full capacity or close to it. Sure Duke is a P5 team but this is akin to Clemson having to play Vandy in the same game. Nobody truly wants to see that unless you like expecting to see an on-field massacre.

I think this game's ticket selloff means most want quality opponents in these games. I love college football and want as much as I can get - so long as it's not against the dregs. Duke could beat us, who knows. Unless they surprise everyone the rest of the season, beating them probably does less than zero for us other than give us an "easy" game to start with assuming we're ready to play. I would also surmise that having Duke as game #1 rather than an FSU, UCLA, USC, UTx etc type team makes it harder to focus. But what do I know ;) ?

Last edited:

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
I think anyone who sees what I posted and thinks I'm "complaining" about Alabama really misses my point by a wide margin.

I'm a business guy. I look at the economics of things - especially as it relates to sustainable football scheduling for "real" D1 football teams (P5+1). My point is not about actually seeing the game live & in person, it's about the bigger picture of what this means for scheduling games like this in the future. Supply/demand and all that. I'm not even really complaining about much other than P5+1 teams scheduling games (neutral and home) where the attendance is < full capacity or close to it. Sure Duke is a P5 team but this is akin to Clemson having to play Vandy in the same game. Nobody truly wants to see that unless you like expecting to see an on-field massacre.

I think this game's ticket selloff means most want quality opponents in these games. I love college football and want as much as I can get - so long as it's not against the dregs. Duke could beat us, who knows. Unless they surprise everyone the rest of the season, beating them probably does less than zero for us other than give us an "easy" game to start with assuming we're ready to play. I would also surmise that having Duke as game #1 rather than an FSU, UCLA, USC, UTx etc type team makes it harder to focus. But what do I know ;) ?
I think we all agree with what you’re saying. These tickets are so cheap solely because of the opponent, though. Prices won’t be this low next year against USC or 2021 against Miami.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama

I'm a business guy. I look at the economics of things - especially as it relates to sustainable football scheduling for "real" D1 football teams (P5+1). My point is not about actually seeing the game live & in person, it's about the bigger picture of what this means for scheduling games like this in the future. Supply/demand and all that. I'm not even really complaining about much other than P5+1 teams scheduling games (neutral and home) where the attendance is < full capacity or close to it. Sure Duke is a P5 team but this is akin to Clemson having to play Vandy in the same game. Nobody truly wants to see that unless you like to see an on-field massacre.

I think this game's ticket selloff means most want quality opponents in these games. I love college football and want as much as I can get - so long as it's not against the dregs. Duke could beat us, who knows. Unless they surprise everyone the rest of the season, beating them probably does less than zero for us.
Most of us are more referring to the fans like deliveryman who seem to think 1) Alabama picked Duke to open up, 2) its easy to get out of these games, and 3) entertainment during the season is based on schedules instead of championship runs. We've had several threads about the Duke game in the past 6 months and much of that is starting to seep over here. But Ill address more to your point below

1978 Schedule Lovers: I get it, but at some point we have to accept that our road to a national championship is way harder even without the OOC scheduling than every other contender. In 2017 we nearly lost a championship due to playing FSU in an Atlanta brawl. I would argue that out of all CNS's championship seasons that was by far his most challenging even without FSU. But FSU took an already brutal schedule and made it the most improbable championship ever. I get that the 1978 schedule looks beautiful, but ask Notre Dame how their epic travel schedule feels and how bare their trophy case has been for the past 30 years

Real opponents= real attendance: I go to every home game and I can tell you there are 20-30k empty seats every game to include the LSU, Auburn, and Tennessee games. Ive gotten into an IB with a 50 yard line seat for $5 from a scalper. It tells you that the demand to go to college football games isn't there regardless.

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net
I think Bama will steamroll Duke, but how quickly people forget the 2006 game when Bama trailed 14-10 at the half and squeaked out a 30-14 win.

Even if Bama got to choose the opponent, there really aren't enough good teams to make each week a 'good' game, by some standards.

In my world, anytime you can comfortably beat a P5 team, I'm happy. 63-0 the half is ideal.

bamamc1

Hall of Fame
Oct 24, 2011
Haleyville, AL
I’m just excited that we’ll be playing soon. One of my favorite games of the CNS era was in’08 when we hammered Clemson in this game and we got a glimpse of things to come with Julio, Mark Ingram and company. I agree with Big, let’s enjoy this while we can. RTR

deliveryman35

Hall of Fame
Jul 26, 2003
Gadsden, AL
Most of us are more referring to the fans like deliveryman who seem to think 1) Alabama picked Duke to open up, 2) its easy to get out of these games, and 3) entertainment during the season is based on schedules instead of championship runs. We've had several threads about the Duke game in the past 6 months and much of that is starting to seep over here. But Ill address more to your point below

1978 Schedule Lovers: I get it, but at some point we have to accept that our road to a national championship is way harder even without the OOC scheduling than every other contender. In 2017 we nearly lost a championship due to playing FSU in an Atlanta brawl. I would argue that out of all CNS's championship seasons that was by far his most challenging even without FSU. But FSU took an already brutal schedule and made it the most improbable championship ever. I get that the 1978 schedule looks beautiful, but ask Notre Dame how their epic travel schedule feels and how bare their trophy case has been for the past 30 years

Real opponents= real attendance: I go to every home game and I can tell you there are 20-30k empty seats every game to include the LSU, Auburn, and Tennessee games. Ive gotten into an IB with a 50 yard line seat for $5 from a scalper. It tells you that the demand to go to college football games isn't there regardless.
I actually agree with you probably 95% of the time, but I didn’t say that and you know it. You are intentionally misrepresenting what I said.

Yes, Alabama does not technically control who their opponent is in this game. But to suggest —especially years in advance—that they could not exert their influence in determining the quality of opponent OR afford to back out altogether is absurd. I realize it’s difficult to find top shelf opponents to play us, AND that our future OOC schedules done under current AD leadership are looking great, but trying to sell all of us on the idea that a Duke in a prime season opener spot was the BEST that we could do for this season is a dog that won’t hunt—and that will be borne out by paid attendance at this game.

Bama Nation brought this subject up— I just agreed with him. Our fans deserve better than this matchup, and you appear to be cavalierly dismissing that by basically telling all of us to get in line and shut up.

Last edited:

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
I actually agree with you probably 95% of the time, but I didn’t say that and you know it. You are intentionally misrepresenting what I said.

Yes, Alabama does not technically control who their opponent is in this game. But to suggest —especially years in advance—that they could not exert their influence in determining the quality of opponent OR afford to back out altogether is absurd. I realize it’s difficult to find top shelf opponents to play us, AND that our future OOC schedules done under current AD leadership are looking great, but trying to sell all of us on the idea that a Duke in a prime season opener spot was the BEST that we could do for this season is a dog that won’t hunt.

Bama Nation brought this subject up— I just agreed with him. Our fans deserve better than this matchup, and you appear to be cavalierly dismissing that by basically telling all of us to get in line and shut up.
You just can’t understand it seems. Alabama has for the most part been treated well with the Chick-fil-A kickoff with (Clemson, VT1, and WVU) and probably took in good faith that the ACC wouldn’t screw them over by allowing Duke or some lower team to play us. The ACC approaches that kickoff game differently than the SEC. Have you ever wondered why Vandy, Missouri, and Kentucky don’t get invites but GT, UNC, and NCSU do? It’s because the ACC allows it to be open for anyone that wishes for it, but the SEC only allows money makers. Alabama signed a huge deal to get FSU and part of that deal was to have 2019 as a TBA opponent. Alabama would be paying out the butt to get out of it, and would probably get stuck with a lesser opponent than Duke had we done it.

Never did I say I liked the matchup, only that it’s Bama football and I’ll watch it all the same and that I understand why the matchup was there. Sure Alabama could’ve gotten a better matchup, but it would’ve been at the expense of losing a chance to play FSU. I bet you were all for that crowbar game that nearly costed us a championship, but you wouldn’t have gotten that matchup without Duke. Alabama since then has mostly made H&H deals, and hard deals with the Chick-fil-A Kickoff to ensure it doesn’t happen again.

Last edited:

deliveryman35

Hall of Fame
Jul 26, 2003
Gadsden, AL
You just can’t understand it seems. Alabama has for the most part been treated well with the Chick-fil-A kickoff with (Clemson, VT1, and WVU) and probably took in good faith that the ACC wouldn’t screw them over by allowing Duke or some lower team to play us. The ACC approaches that kickoff game differently than the SEC. Have you ever wondered why Vandy, Missouri, and Kentucky don’t get invites but GT, UNC, and NCSU do? It’s because the ACC allows it to be open for anyone that wishes for it, but the SEC only allows money makers. Alabama signed a huge deal to get FSU and part of that deal was to have 2019 as a TBA opponent. Alabama would be paying out the butt to get out of it, and would probably get stuck with a lesser opponent than Duke had we done it.

Never did I say I liked the matchup, only that it’s Bama football and I’ll watch it all the same and that I understand why the matchup was there. Sure Alabama could’ve gotten a better matchup, but it would’ve been at the expense of losing a chance to play FSU. I bet you were all for that crowbar game that nearly costed us a championship, but you wouldn’t have gotten that matchup without Duke. Alabama since then has mostly made H&H deals, and hard deals with the Chick-fil-A Kickoff to ensure it doesn’t happen again.
You bet I was all-in on the FSU game. We should get that kind of premier early season opponent every year. Those type of games help define the season and help us determine how good we really are. The Duke game will tell us nothing but how many touchdowns and first downs our two and three deep players can get.

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
You bet I was all-in on the FSU game. We should get that kind of premier early season opponent every year. Those type of games help define the season and help us determine how good we really are. The Duke game will tell us nothing but how many touchdowns and first downs our two and three deep players can get.
Without the “unknown opponent” clause in the deal, we don’t get FSU. So we gambled on the second game and lost, but we got FSU. I just think you don’t understand or just refuse to accept how things work. It’s not as simple as picking up the phone and saying “ Hey Texas we want to play you next year”. There are so much financial and marketing things attached to these things. Alabama basically didn’t want to pay the insane amount of money to get out of the contract like USC did in 2013 when they were scheduled to play us in Atlanta.

As for the FSU game “defining our season”... it nearly destroyed our season. The reason we lost to Auburn had a lot to do with the FSU game.

But here is another issue I have with the “we will beat them by a million tds so its not worth it” argument . Name 10 teams in the country in which we couldn’t just name our score. I can only get to 5, but the point is that no one we pick for a P5 outside Clemson or Oklahoma could stay within 28 points to us on paper either. For these opening games we usually donkey punch everyone we play.

92tide

TideFans Legend
May 9, 2000
East Point, Ga, USA
Its why I have a huge problem with couch potatoes complaining about "who isn't there, and what those who are should do". You could have $5 tickets for the Tennessee game and still only have 80% full. The fact is technology has killed attendance and enhanced the ability to complain.
technology has done its part for sure, but i have found attending the games in person, regardless of the opponent, to just not be that much fun anymore.

ALA2262

All-American
Aug 4, 2007
Cumming, GA

I'm a business guy. I look at the economics of things - especially as it relates to sustainable football scheduling for "real" D1 football teams (P5+1). My point is not about actually seeing the game live & in person, it's about the bigger picture of what this means for scheduling games like this in the future. Supply/demand and all that. I'm not even really complaining about much other than P5+1 teams scheduling games (neutral and home) - or in this case agreeing to what turns out to be sub-par games - where the attendance is < full capacity or close to it. Sure Duke is a P5 team but this is akin to Clemson having to play Vandy in the same game. Nobody truly wants to see that unless you like expecting to see an on-field massacre.

One need only to look at Bama's future OOC scheduling and see that they are no longer looking to schedule neutral site games. Not to say that they won't but it is obvious they have moved on and away from them.

2019 - Duke (Atlanta)
2020 - USC (Dallas)
2021 - Miami (Atlanta)
2022 - @ Texas
2023 - Texas
2024 -
2025 -
2026 - @ West VA
2027 - West VA
2028 - @ Notre Dame
2029 - Notre Dame
2030 -
2031 -
2032 - @ Oklahoma
2033 - Oklahoma

ALA2262

All-American
Aug 4, 2007
Cumming, GA
Kudos to Duke. If you had all OOC P5 coaches in a room and asked them who wanted to play Bama, you could probably count on one hand the number of hands raised. Duke raised their hand!

CajunCrimson

Moderator (FB,BB) and Vinyl Enthusiast
Staff member
Mar 13, 2001
Breaux Bridge, La
https://www.al.com/alabamafootball/2019/07/what-alabama-football-should-fix-in-2019.html

Lots of upper deck seats for <$75. Lower bowl non-endzone are still 300-450.

At this rate, fans may get paid to attend.

I'm thinking this is the beginning of the end for terrible OOC matchups. Bama is a 30+ point favorite.

Nobody wants to see these games, spend the money on a trip to ATL (or T-town for that matter), experience parking chaos, hostage pricing on food, etc. We're done with it.
But how are you going to pay all the players if they don't charge so much ;)

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
technology has done its part for sure, but i have found attending the games in person, regardless of the opponent, to just not be that much fun anymore.
Yeah that’s true too. If I didn’t have some other motivations of going to the games then I probably would only attend the road games I hadn’t been to , the playoff if we make it, and 1 or 2 home games. Nothing beats no lines at the bathroom, whatever food you want, and nice TV. I think the university’s greed , being subject to Alabama weather, having to be in Tuscaloosa all day, and the praying that I’m not going to have to sit with donkey fans during the game has really taken my excitement of going to games down a little over the years.

Last edited:

92tide

TideFans Legend
May 9, 2000
East Point, Ga, USA
Yeah that’s true too. If I didn’t have some other motivations of going to the games then I probably would only attend the road games I hadn’t been to , the playoff if we make it, and 1 or 2 home games. Nothing beats no lines at the bathroom, whatever food you want, and nice TV. I think the university’s greed , being subject to Alabama weather, having to be in Tuscaloosa all day, and the praying that I’m going to have to sit with donkey fans during the game has really taken my excitement of going to games down a little over the years.
the final straw for me was the horrible flow of the game in the stadium due to all of the commercial breaks.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.