Duke-Bama tickets for the price of a rack of Dreamland ribs - Page 2
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Re: Duke-Bama tickets for the price of a rack of Dreamland ribs

Quote Originally Posted by 81usaf92 View Post
    1)Backing out of it would’ve costed Alabama tons of money and we would’ve probably had someone like Kent St or Kansas in a home game that you still wouldn’t be happy about.

2) Alabama had 0 influence on the opponent. I’ve explained this many times to you but you don’t seem to get it. The Chick-fil-A kickoff game gives priority to the SEC and ACC and both determine who gets a slot in a given year. Duke just won the blessing of the ACC to take the 2020 game because they whined about UNC going to that game.

So it’s not as simple as you seem to think. There is a reason why Alabama has preferred Dallas in the past couple of years over Atlanta and the debacles of 2013 and 2020 are big reasons why. Point is Duke chose Alabama not the other way around.
    If you stop and think about it, if some of our own fans can't seem to understand why we are playing this game, the rest of the nation surely doesn't. No wonder the rest of the country piles on when it comes to our "weak" schedule.
    Last edited by Con; July 13th, 2019 at 08:17 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Con View Post
    If you stop and think about it, if some of our own fans can seem to understand why we are playing this game, the rest of the nation surely doesn't. No wonder the rest of the country piles on when it comes to our "weak" schedule.
    Not sure why anyone gives a crap what the 'rest of the nation' thinks. Screw 'em all and Roll Tide.
    Oderint dum metuant - Lucius Accius

Quote Originally Posted by B1GTide View Post
    Not sure when lower ticket prices became a problem for the fans. These lower ticket prices may actually get me to attend the game. I was planning to be in MS for the game, but for that price I might go out of my way.

You don't have many more years left on the Saban train. Enjoy every game, no matter the opponent.
    Seriously, people complain about ticket prices being too much and one reason they donít attend games. Well, hereís your chance...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "I don't know what class is but I can tell when one has it, you can tell from a mile away"
    -- Coach Bryant

"We always talk about playing 60 minutes but this is a 60-10 game: the 60 minutes of the game and the 10 minutes in the locker room after the game that you remember for the rest of your life."
    -- Nick Saban day after beating Clemson

BamaNation All-American

Not sure when lower ticket prices became a problem for the fans. These lower ticket prices may actually get me to attend the game. I was planning to be in MS for the game, but for that price I might go out of my way.

You don't have many more years left on the Saban train. Enjoy every game, no matter the opponent.

they will be even cheaper the week of the game..and of course you have the great stadium food prices. easy decision for me to attend that one considering what i have paid for big games in the past. plus, the little one loves the extra festivities before the game starts.

Publisher, TideFans.com &
    Benevolent Dictator

Not sure when lower ticket prices became a problem for the fans.
    Obviously it's not about the ticket prices per se but of what it is an indicator - lack of overall interest in this game. Certainly as prices go down, they'll be snapped up and given the game is in our backyard, I'll most likely be in attendance.

My point is articulating that we're probably toward the end of the "play it and they'll come" era. 4K, streaming, ridiculous chaos before, during, and after games, etc etc. all play a part in this. Add that to the fact nobody (aside from some of our own fans) wants to see us play multiple out of conference games where we're 30+ favorites (which we will be for all of these games this year).

Just seems confirmation of my prior thoughts of the Power 5+1 breaking away from the current NCAA structure and leaving it to implode on itself. (and yes, I realize Duke is part of the P5+1 )
    Last edited by BamaNation; July 13th, 2019 at 09:31 AM.

BamaNation Second Team

With all due respect to the opinions being bantered around on the subject of scheduling...itís quite telling of the human condition when so many people canít be happy unless we are complaining about something.

We complain and petition for a schedule filled with games against top-quality apponents.....but when we get that schedule, and our team reaches the final run of the season, weíre disappointed that weíre beat-down more than the team we now have to face who had the easy schedule, and we complain about it.

We complain and gripe about the high cost of a ticket to see our beloved Crimson Tide play.....but when we get an opportunity to see them play in Atlanta for under $30, we complain that itís an indicator of the ďlack of interestĒ in the game, instead of an opportunity to afford something which we had previously opined over not being able to afford.

Iím half-a-century old, now...and have had to practice hard at developing a ďglass-half-fullĒ outlook on life...which wasnít my natural tendency during the first 50...but I can assure you all that I am enjoying life more now, than I did then. I still get caught in the old mindset sometimes, but for the most part, that guy is not welcome any longer...and when he does show up, I show him the door and send him on his way. Lifeís too short...especially when the first 50 is in the rearview mirror. I just wish that I would have made this adjustment years ago...but better late than never.

joel

BamaNation Hall of Fame 81usaf92's Avatar

Its why I have a huge problem with couch potatoes complaining about "who isn't there, and what those who are should do". You could have $5 tickets for the Tennessee game and still only have 80% full. The fact is technology has killed attendance and enhanced the ability to complain.
    "Aut viam inveniam aut faciam."

Hannibal

Publisher, TideFans.com &
    Benevolent Dictator

Quote Originally Posted by BearFoot View Post
    With all due respect to the opinions being bantered around on the subject of scheduling...it’s quite telling of the human condition when so many people can’t be happy unless we are complaining about something.

We complain and petition for a schedule filled with games against top-quality apponents.....but when we get that schedule, and our team reaches the final run of the season, we’re disappointed that we’re beat-down more than the team we now have to face who had the easy schedule, and we complain about it.

We complain and gripe about the high cost of a ticket to see our beloved Crimson Tide play.....but when we get an opportunity to see them play in Atlanta for under $30, we complain that it’s an indicator of the “lack of interest” in the game, instead of an opportunity to afford something which we had previously opined over not being able to afford.

I’m half-a-century old, now...and have had to practice hard at developing a “glass-half-full” outlook on life...which wasn’t my natural tendency during the first 50...but I can assure you all that I am enjoying life more now, than I did then. I still get caught in the old mindset sometimes, but for the most part, that guy is not welcome any longer...and when he does show up, I show him the door and send him on his way. Life’s too short...especially when the first 50 is in the rearview mirror. I just wish that I would have made this adjustment years ago...but better late than never.

joel
    I think anyone who sees what I posted and thinks I'm "complaining" about Alabama really misses my point by a wide margin.

I'm a business guy. I look at the economics of things - especially as it relates to sustainable football scheduling for "real" D1 football teams (P5+1). My point is not about actually seeing the game live & in person, it's about the bigger picture of what this means for scheduling games like this in the future. Supply/demand and all that. I'm not even really complaining about much other than P5+1 teams scheduling games (neutral and home) - or in this case agreeing to what turns out to be sub-par games - where the attendance is < full capacity or close to it. Sure Duke is a P5 team but this is akin to Clemson having to play Vandy in the same game. Nobody truly wants to see that unless you like expecting to see an on-field massacre.

I think this game's ticket selloff means most want quality opponents in these games. I love college football and want as much as I can get - so long as it's not against the dregs. Duke could beat us, who knows. Unless they surprise everyone the rest of the season, beating them probably does less than zero for us other than give us an "easy" game to start with assuming we're ready to play. I would also surmise that having Duke as game #1 rather than an FSU, UCLA, USC, UTx etc type team makes it harder to focus. But what do I know ?
    Last edited by BamaNation; July 13th, 2019 at 11:14 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by BamaNation View Post
    I think anyone who sees what I posted and thinks I'm "complaining" about Alabama really misses my point by a wide margin.

I'm a business guy. I look at the economics of things - especially as it relates to sustainable football scheduling for "real" D1 football teams (P5+1). My point is not about actually seeing the game live & in person, it's about the bigger picture of what this means for scheduling games like this in the future. Supply/demand and all that. I'm not even really complaining about much other than P5+1 teams scheduling games (neutral and home) where the attendance is < full capacity or close to it. Sure Duke is a P5 team but this is akin to Clemson having to play Vandy in the same game. Nobody truly wants to see that unless you like expecting to see an on-field massacre.

I think this game's ticket selloff means most want quality opponents in these games. I love college football and want as much as I can get - so long as it's not against the dregs. Duke could beat us, who knows. Unless they surprise everyone the rest of the season, beating them probably does less than zero for us other than give us an "easy" game to start with assuming we're ready to play. I would also surmise that having Duke as game #1 rather than an FSU, UCLA, USC, UTx etc type team makes it harder to focus. But what do I know ?
    I think we all agree with what youíre saying. These tickets are so cheap solely because of the opponent, though. Prices wonít be this low next year against USC or 2021 against Miami.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "I don't know what class is but I can tell when one has it, you can tell from a mile away"
    -- Coach Bryant

"We always talk about playing 60 minutes but this is a 60-10 game: the 60 minutes of the game and the 10 minutes in the locker room after the game that you remember for the rest of your life."
    -- Nick Saban day after beating Clemson

BamaNation Hall of Fame 81usaf92's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by BamaNation View Post

I'm a business guy. I look at the economics of things - especially as it relates to sustainable football scheduling for "real" D1 football teams (P5+1). My point is not about actually seeing the game live & in person, it's about the bigger picture of what this means for scheduling games like this in the future. Supply/demand and all that. I'm not even really complaining about much other than P5+1 teams scheduling games (neutral and home) where the attendance is < full capacity or close to it. Sure Duke is a P5 team but this is akin to Clemson having to play Vandy in the same game. Nobody truly wants to see that unless you like to see an on-field massacre.

I think this game's ticket selloff means most want quality opponents in these games. I love college football and want as much as I can get - so long as it's not against the dregs. Duke could beat us, who knows. Unless they surprise everyone the rest of the season, beating them probably does less than zero for us.
    Most of us are more referring to the fans like deliveryman who seem to think 1) Alabama picked Duke to open up, 2) its easy to get out of these games, and 3) entertainment during the season is based on schedules instead of championship runs. We've had several threads about the Duke game in the past 6 months and much of that is starting to seep over here. But Ill address more to your point below

1978 Schedule Lovers: I get it, but at some point we have to accept that our road to a national championship is way harder even without the OOC scheduling than every other contender. In 2017 we nearly lost a championship due to playing FSU in an Atlanta brawl. I would argue that out of all CNS's championship seasons that was by far his most challenging even without FSU. But FSU took an already brutal schedule and made it the most improbable championship ever. I get that the 1978 schedule looks beautiful, but ask Notre Dame how their epic travel schedule feels and how bare their trophy case has been for the past 30 years

Real opponents= real attendance: I go to every home game and I can tell you there are 20-30k empty seats every game to include the LSU, Auburn, and Tennessee games. Ive gotten into an IB with a 50 yard line seat for $5 from a scalper. It tells you that the demand to go to college football games isn't there regardless.
    "Aut viam inveniam aut faciam."

Hannibal

I think Bama will steamroll Duke, but how quickly people forget the 2006 game when Bama trailed 14-10 at the half and squeaked out a 30-14 win.

Even if Bama got to choose the opponent, there really aren't enough good teams to make each week a 'good' game, by some standards.

In my world, anytime you can comfortably beat a P5 team, I'm happy. 63-0 the half is ideal.
    Oderint dum metuant - Lucius Accius

BamaNation All-American bamamc1's Avatar

Iím just excited that weíll be playing soon. One of my favorite games of the CNS era was iní08 when we hammered Clemson in this game and we got a glimpse of things to come with Julio, Mark Ingram and company. I agree with Big, letís enjoy this while we can. RTR

BamaNation All-American Mystical's Avatar

Should have at least got a Basketball game out of this deal against Duke.
    WHERE EVER YOU GO, YOU TAKE YOURSELF WITH YOU