Duke-Bama tickets for the price of a rack of Dreamland ribs

BamaNation

Publisher and Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
Apr 9, 1999
Silicon Slopes
TideFans.com
As of Thursday afternoon, tickets were as cheap as $26 before fees on one resale site with hundreds less than $30.
https://www.al.com/alabamafootball/2019/07/what-alabama-football-should-fix-in-2019.html

Lots of upper deck seats for <$75. Lower bowl non-endzone are still 300-450.

At this rate, fans may get paid to attend.

I'm thinking this is the beginning of the end for terrible OOC matchups. Bama is a 30+ point favorite.

Nobody wants to see these games, spend the money on a trip to ATL (or T-town for that matter), experience parking chaos, hostage pricing on food, etc. We're done with it.

Last edited:

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
It’s athletic dept scheduled this game.

Are you disagreeing with the premise of this thread? If so, I’d like to hear your response.
How many times does it have to be said? Alabama didn’t schedule the game against Duke. They signed a contract for two games; the second of which was against an undecided opponent.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

deliveryman35

Hall of Fame
Jul 26, 2003
Gadsden, AL
How many times does it have to be said? Alabama didn’t schedule the game against Duke. They signed a contract for two games; the second of which was against an undecided opponent.

And the university had no recourse or ability to influence who the opponent was? Then back out of the game.

Alabama has no business playing Duke. Period.

lowend

All-SEC
Feb 20, 2005
It was a good thing for the program (though not the fans) when we started this, but everything has a season. I'm sure it's getting harder to get teams to sign up for an almost guaranteed beatdown to start the season. Not to mention the extra costs of the post-season games. I know we have a couple more neutral site games coming up, but I hope we're still good when we start the home & home series that have been scheduled.

4Q Basket Case

FB|BB Moderator
Staff member
Nov 8, 2004
Tuscaloosa
BamaNation, our benevolent dictator, made the right point. Fans will vote with their wallets on this game.
Mrs. Basket Case and I have paid well over market, for substandard seats, several times over. We may have fallen off a turnip truck, but that didn't happen yesterday.

We'll still go to the game, but we'll buy an infinitely better ticket at a much lower price the week before the game. One can be played only so many times. Coming from a donor to the University and the Athletic Department, both deserve this.

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
And the university had no recourse or ability to influence who the opponent was? Then back out of the game.

Alabama has no business playing Duke. Period.
1)Backing out of it would’ve costed Alabama tons of money and we would’ve probably had someone like Kent St or Kansas in a home game that you still wouldn’t be happy about.

2) Alabama had 0 influence on the opponent. I’ve explained this many times to you but you don’t seem to get it. The Chick-fil-A kickoff game gives priority to the SEC and ACC and both determine who gets a slot in a given year. Duke just won the blessing of the ACC to take the 2020 game because they whined about UNC going to that game.

So it’s not as simple as you seem to think. There is a reason why Alabama has preferred Dallas in the past couple of years over Atlanta and the debacles of 2013 and 2020 are big reasons why. Point is Duke chose Alabama not the other way around.

Last edited:

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
Not sure when lower ticket prices became a problem for the fans. These lower ticket prices may actually get me to attend the game. I was planning to be in MS for the game, but for that price I might go out of my way.

You don't have many more years left on the Saban train. Enjoy every game, no matter the opponent.

Con

Hall of Fame
Dec 19, 2006
Northern Hemisphere
1)Backing out of it would’ve costed Alabama tons of money and we would’ve probably had someone like Kent St or Kansas in a home game that you still wouldn’t be happy about.

2) Alabama had 0 influence on the opponent. I’ve explained this many times to you but you don’t seem to get it. The Chick-fil-A kickoff game gives priority to the SEC and ACC and both determine who gets a slot in a given year. Duke just won the blessing of the ACC to take the 2020 game because they whined about UNC going to that game.

So it’s not as simple as you seem to think. There is a reason why Alabama has preferred Dallas in the past couple of years over Atlanta and the debacles of 2013 and 2020 are big reasons why. Point is Duke chose Alabama not the other way around.
If you stop and think about it, if some of our own fans can't seem to understand why we are playing this game, the rest of the nation surely doesn't. No wonder the rest of the country piles on when it comes to our "weak" schedule.

Last edited:

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net
If you stop and think about it, if some of our own fans can seem to understand why we are playing this game, the rest of the nation surely doesn't. No wonder the rest of the country piles on when it comes to our "weak" schedule.
Not sure why anyone gives a crap what the 'rest of the nation' thinks. Screw 'em all and Roll Tide.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
Not sure when lower ticket prices became a problem for the fans. These lower ticket prices may actually get me to attend the game. I was planning to be in MS for the game, but for that price I might go out of my way.

You don't have many more years left on the Saban train. Enjoy every game, no matter the opponent.
Seriously, people complain about ticket prices being too much and one reason they don’t attend games. Well, here’s your chance...

gamersfuel

All-American
Jan 20, 2008
Auburn/near a cow pasture

they will be even cheaper the week of the game..and of course you have the great stadium food prices. easy decision for me to attend that one considering what i have paid for big games in the past. plus, the little one loves the extra festivities before the game starts.

BamaNation

Publisher and Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
Apr 9, 1999
Silicon Slopes
TideFans.com
Not sure when lower ticket prices became a problem for the fans.
Obviously it's not about the ticket prices per se but of what it is an indicator - lack of overall interest in this game. Certainly as prices go down, they'll be snapped up and given the game is in our backyard, I'll most likely be in attendance.

My point is articulating that we're probably toward the end of the "play it and they'll come" era. 4K, streaming, ridiculous chaos before, during, and after games, etc etc. all play a part in this. Add that to the fact nobody (aside from some of our own fans) wants to see us play multiple out of conference games where we're 30+ favorites (which we will be for all of these games this year).

Just seems confirmation of my prior thoughts of the Power 5+1 breaking away from the current NCAA structure and leaving it to implode on itself. (and yes, I realize Duke is part of the P5+1 :D )

Last edited:

BearFoot

All-SEC
Mar 12, 2017
Fairhope, Alabama
With all due respect to the opinions being bantered around on the subject of scheduling...it’s quite telling of the human condition when so many people can’t be happy unless we are complaining about something.

We complain and petition for a schedule filled with games against top-quality apponents.....but when we get that schedule, and our team reaches the final run of the season, we’re disappointed that we’re beat-down more than the team we now have to face who had the easy schedule, and we complain about it.

We complain and gripe about the high cost of a ticket to see our beloved Crimson Tide play.....but when we get an opportunity to see them play in Atlanta for under $30, we complain that it’s an indicator of the “lack of interest” in the game, instead of an opportunity to afford something which we had previously opined over not being able to afford.

I’m half-a-century old, now...and have had to practice hard at developing a “glass-half-full” outlook on life...which wasn’t my natural tendency during the first 50...but I can assure you all that I am enjoying life more now, than I did then. I still get caught in the old mindset sometimes, but for the most part, that guy is not welcome any longer...and when he does show up, I show him the door and send him on his way. Life’s too short...especially when the first 50 is in the rearview mirror. I just wish that I would have made this adjustment years ago...but better late than never.

joel

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama

Its why I have a huge problem with couch potatoes complaining about "who isn't there, and what those who are should do". You could have $5 tickets for the Tennessee game and still only have 80% full. The fact is technology has killed attendance and enhanced the ability to complain.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.