All 14 SEC coaches return for 2019 Media Days. Who woulda thunk it?

BamaNation

Publisher and Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
Apr 9, 1999
Silicon Slopes
TideFans.com
Things move in cycles in the college football world. In some offseasons, there is a whirlwind of coaching turnover. Last year, there were numerous changes in the SEC, either with faces that were technically new although familiar to most fans...Not one of the 14 league schools made a change, and that should make 2019 interesting in and of itself.
https://www.tidesports.com/cecil-hu...-new-coaches-will-be-at-the-podium-this-year/

A rarity in the SEC - no new coaches this year, but several may be on the chopping block if they don't produce! Cecil Hurt posits that Jimbo Fisher, Gus Malzahn, Ed Orgeron and Will Muschamp (and possibly Jeremy Pruitt) may all be on a short leash and asks what are the odds that all 14 return for 2020?

4Q Basket Case

FB|BB Moderator
Staff member
Nov 8, 2004
Tuscaloosa
It's not often that I disagree with Cecil Hurt. But absent a Chizik-esque total meltdown, I just don't see Fisher, Orgeron or Pruitt being let go this year.

A&M has too much money in Fisher to fire him this soon. LSU fans love Orgeron if for no reason other than he hates Alabama as much as they do, and Pruitt is still re-building and has Fulmer's support (at least for now). This time next year, I might feel different, but that's the way I see it now.

Malzahn and Muschamp are different stories. They really are on a short leash.

For the record, I expect Muschamp out at the end of the year. His maniac schtick wears thin without big wins, which he hasn't delivered.

Malzahn, I just don't know. There's no logical reason to believe the barn will lose fewer than 4 games. But logic doesn't often hold when expectations for them are low and Malzahn's back is against the wall. In that situation, they have proven themselves extremely dangerous time and time again. And they catch both us and Georgia at home. Their start is crucial, including Oregon at a neutral site, at aTm, at Florida, and at LSU. We'll know where they are before the end of October.

GrayTide

Hall of Fame
Nov 15, 2005
Greenbow, Alabama
I believe that Malzahn, Muschamp, and Luke are all in the danger zone for next year. I agree with 4Q that Muschamp, barring wins over Alabama, Georgia, Florida and Clemson, will be in the unemployment line in December or sooner. I really believe Gus has to win 10 games and at least one of those wins has to be Georgia or Alabama (both at JHS). Luke is simply a placeholder until a better coach can be found, if not this year then next year for sure.

BamaNation

Staff member
Apr 9, 1999
Silicon Slopes
TideFans.com
I'm not sure that Cecil is saying that those guys WILL be fired with a subpar season but their AD will be asking (and answering) tough questions should they do so. I think this is doubly true for the awbies.

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
Fisher is in year 2 of 4-year leash. He's fine.

Coach O is in year 2 of a 3-year leash (imo).

Malzahn is on the short leash and will be canned if they don't have a 2013 or 2017 type season.

Muschamp is also on the short leash.

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
I don't think "economics" will keep a coach around but it may affect who they hire. See LSU hiring Orgeron after terminating Miles.

gtowntide

All-American
Mar 1, 2011
Memphis,TN.
I think the gus bus will go over a cliff unless they win 9+ games one of which must be UGA or Bama. I'm not sure about coach O but he needs to beat us also! IMO

Redwood Forrest

Hall of Fame
Sep 19, 2003
Boaz, AL USA
Fisher is safe. The others I am not sure about. Why would S Carolina hire Muschamp in the first place? If I can't figure that out then I certainly can't figure out when they would fire him. So I give Muschamp a free pass. LSU: Ditto.

Now that leaves Luke and Gus. Bye Bye boys.

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
I don't think "economics" will keep a coach around but it may affect who they hire. See LSU hiring Orgeron after terminating Miles.
The only reason Oeaux is at LSU is because the governor of Louisana told LSU there would be no money unless they hire Fisher, Herman, or some top rated coach. Alot of LSU's problems are directly linked to Louisana economic problems. I dont think Alabama or Auburn has the issues with the governor being an end all be all person on who they hire like it is with LSU.

From what Ive heard is that Gus probably needs 8-9 games to 100% make it to 2020. Ive also heard that the big Auburn big boosters (Jimmy rayne and co) are not as commited in paying that buy out that everyone originally thought. I would probably say barring an epic collapse, Gus surviving to 2020 is very likely.

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
With good reason, an Alabama governor who dictates who the University of Alabama hires for head football coach will be looking for a new job if that hire doesn't produce before the next gubernatorial election.

I reckon there are enough Auburn fans out there for it to be much the same too.

LSUgrad2BamaDad

All-SEC
May 5, 2016
Destrehan, LA
The only reason Oeaux is at LSU is because the governor of Louisana told LSU there would be no money unless they hire Fisher, Herman, or some top rated coach. Alot of LSU's problems are directly linked to Louisana economic problems. I dont think Alabama or Auburn has the issues with the governor being an end all be all person on who they hire like it is with LSU.
This is not accurate. The governor at the time is the one who nixed the Jimbo here. Bad optics. We were laying off professors and cutting student merit funding (TOPS scholarship) and he didn’t want us paying a large buyout and a large salary, despite the fact that the funds for the football coach come from privately raised funds. Again, it just looks bad. The governor isn’t the end all be all for the football program.

Herman was never coming to LSU. We were simply a bargaining chip and he played it well.

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
This is not accurate. The governor at the time is the one who nixed the Jimbo here. Bad optics. We were laying off professors and cutting student merit funding (TOPS scholarship) and he didn’t want us paying a large buyout and a large salary, despite the fact that the funds for the football coach come from privately raised funds. Again, it just looks bad. The governor isn’t the end all be all for the football program.

Herman was never coming to LSU. We were simply a bargaining chip and he played it well.
The fact still remains that the governor of Louisiana has more pull and influence on the LSU football program than what Alabama’s governor has over Alabama and Auburn.

JustNeedMe81

Hall of Fame
Sep 30, 2011
Huntsville, Al
I don't think Fisher is on hot seat. If his team struggles this year, then next year his seat will be warm... I don't think he is going anywhere.

I think Gus, Luke and Will will be gone after the season is over. If that does happen, I would expect Pruitt to leave and take one of those jobs.... I'm not sure Pruitt is happy at Tennessee.

GrayTide

Hall of Fame
Nov 15, 2005
Greenbow, Alabama
I don't think Fisher is on hot seat. If his team struggles this year, then next year his seat will be warm... I don't think he is going anywhere.

I think Gus, Luke and Will will be gone after the season is over. If that does happen, I would expect Pruitt to leave and take one of those jobs.... I'm not sure Pruitt is happy at Tennessee.
I agree with you on Fisher, but Pruitt going to Ole Miss or USCe, IMO would be career suicide regardless of how he feels about Knoxville. As for auburn, I would hope not, but it is within the realm of possibility. He would be going head to head with CNS for every top recruit in Alabama, Georgia, Mississippi, and Florida. He could be a real problem at auburn.

JustNeedMe81

Hall of Fame
Sep 30, 2011
Huntsville, Al
I agree with you on Fisher, but Pruitt going to Ole Miss or USCe, IMO would be career suicide regardless of how he feels about Knoxville. As for auburn, I would hope not, but it is within the realm of possibility. He would be going head to head with CNS for every top recruit in Alabama, Georgia, Mississippi, and Florida. He could be a real problem at auburn.
Tennessee and Fulmer equal bad news. Pruitt may have taken the job to get his feet wet, and is probably looking to go somewhere... and if it does... I don't think SC is necessary a bad job, but it's hard to recruit kids there. Ole Miss has issues with booster. If he has to go outside SEC, I would imagine FSU or USC out west would be landing spot, but then again... who knows?

BamaNation

Staff member
Apr 9, 1999
Silicon Slopes
TideFans.com
Lest we forget how mediocre a coach Malzahn is... wikipedia reminds us what they're getting for $7mm / Year:

Auburn Tigers (Southeastern Conference) (2013–present)
2013Auburn12–27–1T–1st (Western)L BCS NCG[SUP]†[/SUP]22
2014Auburn8–54–4T–4th (Western)L Outback2322
2015Auburn7–62–67th (Western)W Birmingham
2016Auburn8–55–3T–2nd (Western)L Sugar[SUP]†[/SUP]2224
2017Auburn10–47–1T–1st (Western)L Peach[SUP]†[/SUP]1210
2018Auburn8–53–55th (Western)W Music City
2019Auburn0–00–0
Auburn:53–2728–20

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.