Rece Davis: "I'm good with it" (transfer portal) - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    BamaNation Hall of Fame GrayTide's Avatar

Re: Rece Davis: "I'm good with it" (transfer portal)

Quote Originally Posted by WMack4Bama View Post
    I like that, but I think the kid should still have all of his eligibility left when he can play. It's early and I haven't had my coffee, so I may be foggy. But as it has been, when a kid transfers doesn't the year they sit count as 1? If so, I think that should be tweaked. Let's say, in this case, Justin Fields transferred after his freshman year. If he has to sit one year, fine. But when he can play, he has his full allotment of 3 years remaining. That seems fair to me.

One size doesn't fit all. One athlete may transfer bc of playing time. One athlete may transfer bc of a family health problem. The latter shouldn't be "punished" in my opinion.
    I totally agree with this, but you may likely see an increase in the number of family health related issues from those players transferring.
    "My momma always said you got to put the past behind you before you can move on." Forrest Gump

"The past is never dead. It's not even past." William Faulkner

Publisher, TideFans.com &
    Benevolent Dictator

agree with WMACK with these caveats... if a kid wants to transfer, so be it. Let them. I just don't like that they can play immediately. I think REGARDLESS OF THE REASON OF THE TRANSFER (unless you have a degree in hand already) that you should have to sit 1 year. That's tough but that's life. If this were implemented, then there's no inequality and randomness like there is now (no appeals process would be necessary, no judgement required, etc.) Just 1 year sitting if you transfer but you don't lose any years of eligibility for that. Also, make it that you have 6 years to play 4 and eliminate the medical redshirt nonsense.

Consequences may make some of these kids who are never happy and jump around multiple times rethink their hopscotching!

Where ever there's BBQ, Crawfish & Football

Yep, completely agree. Sitting out a year is "punishment" enough. To then take away a year of eligibility is just over kill. Or, give the players an option. Sit out a year and keep full eligibility, or choose to play immediately and lose a year of eligibility. You know kids these days are all about options and choices. LOL!

Quote Originally Posted by WMack4Bama View Post
    I like that, but I think the kid should still have all of his eligibility left when he can play. It's early and I haven't had my coffee, so I may be foggy. But as it has been, when a kid transfers doesn't the year they sit count as 1? If so, I think that should be tweaked. Let's say, in this case, Justin Fields transferred after his freshman year. If he has to sit one year, fine. But when he can play, he has his full allotment of 3 years remaining. That seems fair to me.

One size doesn't fit all. One athlete may transfer bc of playing time. One athlete may transfer bc of a family health problem. The latter shouldn't be "punished" in my opinion.
    Last edited by Bamabuzzard; July 16th, 2019 at 09:56 AM.
    The existence of God isn't determined in the thoughts of man. God exists, no matter what man thinks.

"It cost a lot of money to look this cheap."-Dolly Parton.

"If you ever want to know how good your barbecue is start charging for it"-Myron Mixon

BamaNation Hall of Fame colbysullivan's Avatar

The player can still use a redshirt for the sit-year. If Justin Fields was forced to sit a year, he would have redshirted and still had 3 years of eligibility after that.