"The Defense Will Be Weak....Because Of Inexperience" - A Look Back At 1979 - Page 2
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Re: "The Defense Will Be Weak....Because Of Inexperience" - A Look Back At 1979

tl;dr

Did Krazy hack Selma?

J/K, A+.

Good read.
    Oderint dum metuant - Lucius Accius

1979 was the year after I graduated from Bama. This brings back so many memories. Great job as always, Selma!

Heard it from a friend who, heard it from a friend who, heard it from another that you weren't messing' around!!! Awesome!!!
    Lou Holth... on TideFans.com

[QUOTE=selmaborntidefan;3423290]WHAT ABOUT THE REST OF THE SEC?

The big news concerned the pending departure of long-time LSU head coach Charles McClendon, who entered the 1979 season as the lamest of lame ducks. A few days after the 1978 loss to Alabama, McClendon – who a year earlier had had two years lopped off the end of his contract to set him up for the inevitable dismissal – was seemingly fired by one LSU AD (Carl Maddox) on the way out and then retained for one last year by the new AD, former LSU national championship winning coach Paul Dietzel. In a move that could only happen at LSU, Dietzel basically said that they wanted McClendon gone, but he was being retained for the last year of his contract because LSU was getting “bad publicity” over their handling of one of the SEC’s most successful coaches NOT named Paul Bryant. To this day, in fact, McClendon is the winningest coach in the history of LSU.

I alway have suspected that a couple of factors in Deitzel's decision to give McClendon the additional year as head coach were that McClendon was one of his assistant's when he, Deitzel, coached at LSU and that he had recommended McClendon to be head coach when he left for Army, and also that McClendon was the recently elected president of the Football Coaches Association.

A story that old Cholly Mc liked to tell was about the game against Alabama in Mobile opening the 1958 season. Deitzel had been an assistant coach at Kentucky under Bryant and McClendon had played for Bryant there. Both liked Bryant and knew that the Bama squad was thin in both numbers and talent and had discussed "taking it easy on the Old Man", but during warm-ups Bryant walked up and threw his arms around their shoulders and told them to "take it easy boys, it's just a game". According to Cholly Mc when Bryant walked away they looked at each other and any thoughts of taking it easy were gone because "we realized that the ol' SoB planned to win!".

BamaNation Hall of Fame selmaborntidefan's Avatar

[QUOTE=bama61;3423392]
    Quote Originally Posted by selmaborntidefan View Post
    WHAT ABOUT THE REST OF THE SEC?

The big news concerned the pending departure of long-time LSU head coach Charles McClendon, who entered the 1979 season as the lamest of lame ducks. A few days after the 1978 loss to Alabama, McClendon – who a year earlier had had two years lopped off the end of his contract to set him up for the inevitable dismissal – was seemingly fired by one LSU AD (Carl Maddox) on the way out and then retained for one last year by the new AD, former LSU national championship winning coach Paul Dietzel. In a move that could only happen at LSU, Dietzel basically said that they wanted McClendon gone, but he was being retained for the last year of his contract because LSU was getting “bad publicity” over their handling of one of the SEC’s most successful coaches NOT named Paul Bryant. To this day, in fact, McClendon is the winningest coach in the history of LSU.

I alway have suspected that a couple of factors in Deitzel's decision to give McClendon the additional year as head coach were that McClendon was one of his assistant's when he, Deitzel, coached at LSU and that he had recommended McClendon to be head coach when he left for Army, and also that McClendon was the recently elected president of the Football Coaches Association.

A story that old Cholly Mc liked to tell was about the game against Alabama in Mobile opening the 1958 season. Deitzel had been an assistant coach at Kentucky under Bryant and McClendon had played for Bryant there. Both liked Bryant and knew that the Bama squad was thin in both numbers and talent and had discussed "taking it easy on the Old Man", but during warm-ups Bryant walked up and threw his arms around their shoulders and told them to "take it easy boys, it's just a game". According to Cholly Mc when Bryant walked away they looked at each other and any thoughts of taking it easy were gone because "we realized that the ol' SoB planned to win!".

I figured as much looking at it. I also thought it was kind of weird that the AD fires Mac and then goes to MSU. Makes you wonder if he wasn't planning on bringing Mac to MSU.
    My New Year's resolution for 2019 is this year I'm not going to drink anymore. I'm not going to drink any less, either.

I was married for 25 years, but if I'd killed her on the honeymoon, I'd have been out in less than 20.

Butch Jones has richly earned his title, The Archbishop of Talentbury

After reading all the horrible things drinking will do to you....I gave up reading.

Selma, Thanks for a great summary of the '79 season and championship. I was living in Arkansas at the time and remember the LSU game well. Had to park in a Little Rock parking lot to get the game o he radio and it was a nail biter. I also remember the drama about how the AP would vote.

I had a bet that Bama would win a least one of the polls and won it. Most of my Arkansas friends shared the view that Bama would not win the vote due to the reasons you have cited so well.

Great job!
    "May the Tide Be with You"

BamaNation Scout Team

My first Alabama game in person was the opener at Georgia Tech. I remember being impressed that Alabama had over half of the then 60,000 seat stadium which was filled.
    I recall EJ Junior scoring the first TD,a harbinger of a great defensive year. I had started pulling for Alabama after the 1977 raw deal and was determined for them to finally win a unanimous national championship. I didn’t make it to any other games and ABC limited each team to only 5 appearances in a two year period,but believe it or not a Greenville,SC station carried the Bear Bryant show. I was able to pick up the radio broadcast of the LSU game on AM radio (WWL 870)
    I think Shealy was the perfect wishbone QB. I’ll post more as I have time. I’m very glad to see this thread.

Super Moderator NationalTitles17's Avatar

Why don't you write a book? Or become a sports announcer? You'd have to do radio though.

Seriously, great job.
    Roll Tide Roll!!!

The TideFan formerly known as NationalTitles16, NationalTitles15, NationalTitles14, NationalTitles13, and NationalTitles12.

Andalusia, Alabama via Pensacola, Florida United States

Wow what a read.

Sent from my iPhone Xs Max using Tapatalk Pro

Sorry, but this is what came to mind on TideFans.com:

George: I like sports. I could do something in sports.

Jerry: Uh-huh. Uh-huh. In what capacity?
    George: You know, like the general manager of a baseball team or something.
    Jerry: Yeah. Well, that - that could be tough to get.
    George: Well, it doesn't even have to be the general manager. Maybe I could be like, an announcer. Like a colour man. You know how I always make those interesting comments during the game.
    Jerry: Yeah. Yeah. You make good comments.
    George: What about that?
    Jerry: Well, they tend to give those jobs to ex-ballplayers and people that are, you know, in broadcasting.
    George: Well, that's really not fair.

Quote Originally Posted by NationalTitles17 View Post
    Why don't you write a book? Or become a sports announcer? You'd have to do radio though.

Seriously, great job.

[QUOTE=selmaborntidefan;3423396]
    Quote Originally Posted by bama61 View Post

I figured as much looking at it. I also thought it was kind of weird that the AD fires Mac and then goes to MSU. Makes you wonder if he wasn't planning on bringing Mac to MSU.
    Never thought about it, but that certainly seems to be a possibility, especially since, as you pointed out, Cholly Mc is still LSU's most winning coach. In point in fact, his biggest problem was his record against Bama (2-14) and Ole Miss (4-7-1), otherwise his record against the balance of the conference was pretty good (54-20-2).

Super Moderator NationalTitles17's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by The Ols View Post
    Sorry, but this is what came to mind on TideFans.com:

George: I like sports. I could do something in sports.

Jerry: Uh-huh. Uh-huh. In what capacity?
    George: You know, like the general manager of a baseball team or something.
    Jerry: Yeah. Well, that - that could be tough to get.
    George: Well, it doesn't even have to be the general manager. Maybe I could be like, an announcer. Like a colour man. You know how I always make those interesting comments during the game.
    Jerry: Yeah. Yeah. You make good comments.
    George: What about that?
    Jerry: Well, they tend to give those jobs to ex-ballplayers and people that are, you know, in broadcasting.
    George: Well, that's really not fair.
    Bill is a walking encyclopedia. He'd do great as a sports writer, book or otherwise. He'd also add some interesting history from time to time. And I bet he'd be at least as good as Beth Mowen. No seriously, he'd be way better than her.
    Roll Tide Roll!!!

The TideFan formerly known as NationalTitles16, NationalTitles15, NationalTitles14, NationalTitles13, and NationalTitles12.

I remember listening to John Forney and Doug Layton that Saturday night game in Baton Rouge and how sloppy the weather was. I also remember how completely relieved I was when we got out of there with a 3-0 victory.

I also seem to remember that the Miami game the following week was a late afternoon/early evening game. IIRC they brought portable lights in for the game.
    Last edited by CB4; July 14th, 2019 at 09:58 PM.