News Article: SEC needs to evolve football scheduling amid athletic department budget cuts - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 14 to 23 of 23
  1. #14
    BamaNation Hall of Fame B1GTide's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    21,637

    Re: SEC needs to evolve football scheduling amid athletic department budget cuts

    Quote Originally Posted by selmaborntidefan View Post
    Methinks he's making the point that he could actually get the tickets for less than he was paying for them.
    That has also always been true. Join membership clubs to support your school, but they have always been the most expensive way to attend games. At least, in my lifetime, and I am in my 50s.

  2. #15
    BamaNation Hall of Fame 81usaf92's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Sylacauga,AL
    Posts
    11,260

    Re: SEC needs to evolve football scheduling amid athletic department budget cuts

    Quote Originally Posted by B1GTide View Post
    That has also always been true. Join membership clubs to support your school, but they have always been the most expensive way to attend games. At least, in my lifetime, and I am in my 50s.
    The advantages of being a new Tide Pride ticket holder has died with the end of PPV games, online ticket brokers, and entertainment technology improving. The real advantage was to be able to go to every game at a more reasonable price without having to haggle with scalpers at the game or buy a PPV box to watch a game.

    Basically a new Tide Prider is paying more to sit in a specific seat for 8 games and hoping in 20 years to be able to have enough points to make the cut for nose bleed seats at a Bowl game or SECCG at face value.

  3. #16
    BamaNation Hall of Fame B1GTide's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    21,637

    Re: SEC needs to evolve football scheduling amid athletic department budget cuts

    College football has always been about more than football for me. It is more than just entertainment, and more than a sport. I love all football, but college football is special. It is one of the ties that binds me to so many other things in my life. But I have changed, and the way that I watch the games has changed with me.

  4. #17
    BamaNation Third Team Chipeace's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Location
    Scott Depot, WV
    Posts
    14

    Re: SEC needs to evolve football scheduling amid athletic department budget cuts

    Going to the games is more fun for me than watching on TV. But as I get older I go to fewer games a year...,
    Last edited by Chipeace; July 17th, 2019 at 12:49 PM. Reason: Typio

  5. #18
    BamaNation All-American Padreruf's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2001
    Location
    Charleston, South Carolina
    Posts
    2,745

    Re: SEC needs to evolve football scheduling amid athletic department budget cuts

    I had an under 40 friend who is a big sports fan say to me: "I would rather do something than sit and watch someone else do something." That's a big sentiment for a lot of young adults...
    "The greatest evil in the world is not 'not knowing;' it is not knowing that you do not know." Alfred North Whitehead

  6. #19
    BamaNation Hall of Fame DzynKingRTR's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    Vinings, ga., usa
    Posts
    20,408

    Re: SEC needs to evolve football scheduling amid athletic department budget cuts

    Quote Originally Posted by Padreruf View Post
    I had an under 40 friend who is a big sports fan say to me: "I would rather do something than sit and watch someone else do something." That's a big sentiment for a lot of young adults...
    I am 44 and I enjoy both doing something and watching others do stuff. I am guessing this person means "doing something" means looking at their instagram, twitter, facebook and other social media. Somehow that is "doing something" these days.
    Architects do it with models.

    Roll Tide Roll

  7. #20
    FB Moderator Bamabuzzard's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    Where ever there's BBQ, Crawfish & Football
    Posts
    24,220

    Re: SEC needs to evolve football scheduling amid athletic department budget cuts

    Quote Originally Posted by Padreruf View Post
    I had an under 40 friend who is a big sports fan say to me: "I would rather do something than sit and watch someone else do something." That's a big sentiment for a lot of young adults...
    I've had to come to terms that my kids aren't interested in the same things that I was as a kid. Granted, a lot of things they are. But certain things that were "cool" to collect, do or watch during my childhood is boring to them. It's just cultural shifts from one generation to the next. Somethings stay popular from one generation to the next. Then other things don't. We maybe seeing the first generation of people who simply aren't as obsessed with the type entertainment that previous generations have been.
    The existence of God isn't determined in the thoughts of man. God exists, no matter what man thinks.

    "It cost a lot of money to look this cheap."-Dolly Parton.

    "If you ever want to know how good your barbecue is start charging for it"-Myron Mixon

  8. #21
    BamaNation Hall of Fame B1GTide's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    21,637

    Re: SEC needs to evolve football scheduling amid athletic department budget cuts

    Quote Originally Posted by Bamabuzzard View Post
    I've had to come to terms that my kids aren't interested in the same things that I was as a kid. Granted, a lot of things they are. But certain things that were "cool" to collect, do or watch during my childhood is boring to them. It's just cultural shifts from one generation to the next. Somethings stay popular from one generation to the next. Then other things don't. We maybe seeing the first generation of people who simply aren't as obsessed with the type entertainment that previous generations have been.
    Yeah, people age 40 grew up without smart phones and social media. My kids are the generation that is shifting the paradigm. They would rather go to the dentist than spend an entire day attending a sporting event.

  9. #22
    BamaNation Second Team
    Join Date
    Jun 2017
    Posts
    159

    Re: SEC needs to evolve football scheduling amid athletic department budget cuts

    Fortunately, my daughter still likes to go to a couple of games. Trying to get tix for the Duke game as well as SCe and Homecoming. But, the older I get and the more expensive it gets the less I'm inclined to go.

  10. #23
    BamaNation All-SEC The Ols's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Cumming,Ga.
    Posts
    1,285

    Re: SEC needs to evolve football scheduling amid athletic department budget cuts

    Same here...(I'm in Cumming, Ga. too!) I take each of my kids separately once a year and then go once a year for golf and LSU (or similar game in even years) with my college buddies...It's actually not a bad routine...RTR!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by BamaInCummingGA View Post
    Fortunately, my daughter still likes to go to a couple of games. Trying to get tix for the Duke game as well as SCe and Homecoming. But, the older I get and the more expensive it gets the less I'm inclined to go.

Bookmarks

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

TideFansStore.com Bama Gear