News Article: SEC needs to evolve football scheduling amid athletic department budget cuts - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    BamaNation Hall of Fame B1GTide's Avatar

Re: SEC needs to evolve football scheduling amid athletic department budget cuts

Quote Originally Posted by selmaborntidefan View Post
    Methinks he's making the point that he could actually get the tickets for less than he was paying for them.
    That has also always been true. Join membership clubs to support your school, but they have always been the most expensive way to attend games. At least, in my lifetime, and I am in my 50s.

BamaNation Hall of Fame 81usaf92's Avatar

Re: SEC needs to evolve football scheduling amid athletic department budget cuts

Quote Originally Posted by B1GTide View Post
    That has also always been true. Join membership clubs to support your school, but they have always been the most expensive way to attend games. At least, in my lifetime, and I am in my 50s.
    The advantages of being a new Tide Pride ticket holder has died with the end of PPV games, online ticket brokers, and entertainment technology improving. The real advantage was to be able to go to every game at a more reasonable price without having to haggle with scalpers at the game or buy a PPV box to watch a game.

Basically a new Tide Prider is paying more to sit in a specific seat for 8 games and hoping in 20 years to be able to have enough points to make the cut for nose bleed seats at a Bowl game or SECCG at face value.

College football has always been about more than football for me. It is more than just entertainment, and more than a sport. I love all football, but college football is special. It is one of the ties that binds me to so many other things in my life. But I have changed, and the way that I watch the games has changed with me.

Going to the games is more fun for me than watching on TV. But as I get older I go to fewer games a year...,
    Last edited by Chipeace; July 17th, 2019 at 12:49 PM. Reason: Typio

BamaNation All-American Padreruf's Avatar

I had an under 40 friend who is a big sports fan say to me: "I would rather do something than sit and watch someone else do something." That's a big sentiment for a lot of young adults...
    "The greatest evil in the world is not 'not knowing;' it is not knowing that you do not know." Alfred North Whitehead

BamaNation Hall of Fame DzynKingRTR's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Padreruf View Post
    I had an under 40 friend who is a big sports fan say to me: "I would rather do something than sit and watch someone else do something." That's a big sentiment for a lot of young adults...
    I am 44 and I enjoy both doing something and watching others do stuff. I am guessing this person means "doing something" means looking at their instagram, twitter, facebook and other social media. Somehow that is "doing something" these days.
    Architects do it with models.

Roll Tide Roll

Where ever there's BBQ, Crawfish & Football

Quote Originally Posted by Padreruf View Post
    I've had to come to terms that my kids aren't interested in the same things that I was as a kid. Granted, a lot of things they are. But certain things that were "cool" to collect, do or watch during my childhood is boring to them. It's just cultural shifts from one generation to the next. Somethings stay popular from one generation to the next. Then other things don't. We maybe seeing the first generation of people who simply aren't as obsessed with the type entertainment that previous generations have been.
    The existence of God isn't determined in the thoughts of man. God exists, no matter what man thinks.

"It cost a lot of money to look this cheap."-Dolly Parton.

"If you ever want to know how good your barbecue is start charging for it"-Myron Mixon

Quote Originally Posted by Bamabuzzard View Post
    I've had to come to terms that my kids aren't interested in the same things that I was as a kid. Granted, a lot of things they are. But certain things that were "cool" to collect, do or watch during my childhood is boring to them. It's just cultural shifts from one generation to the next. Somethings stay popular from one generation to the next. Then other things don't. We maybe seeing the first generation of people who simply aren't as obsessed with the type entertainment that previous generations have been.
    Yeah, people age 40 grew up without smart phones and social media. My kids are the generation that is shifting the paradigm. They would rather go to the dentist than spend an entire day attending a sporting event.

BamaNation Second Team

Fortunately, my daughter still likes to go to a couple of games. Trying to get tix for the Duke game as well as SCe and Homecoming. But, the older I get and the more expensive it gets the less I'm inclined to go.

Same here...(I'm in Cumming, Ga. too!) I take each of my kids separately once a year and then go once a year for golf and LSU (or similar game in even years) with my college buddies...It's actually not a bad routine...RTR!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by BamaInCummingGA View Post
    Fortunately, my daughter still likes to go to a couple of games. Trying to get tix for the Duke game as well as SCe and Homecoming. But, the older I get and the more expensive it gets the less I'm inclined to go.