Link: Just coach speak or is there a real chance Hurts may not be the starter at OU?

WMack4Bama

Administrator
Staff member
Nov 7, 2008
Tuscaloosa, AL
He’s alive!!

You think Riley is walking the tightrope to have a good quarterback this year and give Rattler the chance to grow on the bench? It’s a dangerous play given how locker rooms can get divided, but it could give him a solid year at quarterback instead of facing growing pains as the season progresses.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I was about to give you a canned response and say that Jalen in OU's offense will be like Tua last season and playing only 2.5 qtrs a game and Rattler would be playing plenty. But then I went to look at their schedule. Whew.....I don't know.....Coach Riley will definitely want a seasoned QB who has played in many big games and hostile environments in there. Their schedule, at least on paper, looks very exciting to me. They should be favored in every game they play, but I see a handful of landmines

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
I was about to give you a canned response and say that Jalen in OU's offense will be like Tua last season and playing only 2.5 qtrs a game and Rattler would be playing plenty. But then I went to look at their schedule. Whew.....I don't know.....Coach Riley will definitely want a seasoned QB who has played in many big games and hostile environments in there. Their schedule, at least on paper, looks very exciting to me. They should be favored in every game they play, but I see a handful of landmines
At UCLA in week three could be very intriguing.

Mentioned in another thread that OU is replacing four of their OL from last year. That is pretty big for a true freshman QB, so Jalen would/should be able to handle it much better than Rattler.

TRU

All-SEC
Oct 3, 2000
Tampa, FL
Maybe Jalen can be a successful backup again this year and parlay that into a long and fruitful career as a backup QB in the NFL. Being a backup QB in the NFL is a sweet gig. And not everyone is cut out to be a starting QB. Just ask AJ...

TiderJack

Hall of Fame
Jul 9, 2010
Inverness, AL
At UCLA in week three could be very intriguing.

Mentioned in another thread that OU is replacing four of their OL from last year. That is pretty big for a true freshman QB, so Jalen would/should be able to handle it much better than Rattler.
Agreed. I think Jalen will be the starter all year, make all-conference (1st or 2nd) and have OU competing for the conference title and the play-off. Jalen's combined running/throwing skills will overwhelm Big 12 defenses.

bamacpa

All-American
Jul 19, 2006
I think Jalen has a big year in the Big 12. I think he progressed noticeably last year.

TitleWave

All-American
Dec 3, 2012
Politicking. That freshman QB coming in was under the impression that he would walk right into the job (this was before Jalen decided to transfer). Coach Riley just has to walk a tight rope here.
So long as Riley didn't throw it out there that Daunte Culpepper might have one more season of eligibility...

TideMan09

Hall of Fame
Jan 17, 2009
Anniston, Alabama
Jalen is a great competitor, but I wouldn't go that far.
I respect your opinion, but, have to agree to disagree..Cause his record as our starer says otherwise..You won't find another QB with the kinda leadership & experience Jalen has from playing at Bama in the SEC under the coaching of Coach Saban..JMO

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
Wait, I thought we were debating who would have the better passing numbers between Tua and Jalen just a few days ago and now some are thinking Jalen won't start this year at OU???

Seriously, I think a lot of the hopes for Jalen are based on a few great throws in the comeback against Georgia (like the 3rd down throw for a first down across the middle to Irv Smith Jr. I read an article in USA Today a few days ago highlighting that one play as "proof" he's better. And maybe it is.

But the real answer to the question if Hurts will start is if he's really the QB we saw against Georgia last year OR the QB we saw against Georgia a year earlier in the first half.

Last edited:

stlimprov

1st Team
Nov 9, 2005
Saint Louis, MO
I love Jalen, but I'll just put it out there that what one can do when other teams get a quarter look at you doesn't necessarily project to what you can do when they get a full look. The knock on Jalen has never really been that he lacks ability, but that he tends to be readable, especially by elite defenses.

Ole Man Dan

Hall of Fame
Apr 21, 2008
Gadsden, Al.

owenfieldreams

Big-12 All American
Sep 8, 2002
galveston tx. usa
delpapabud.com
Hurts is the odds on favorite to start in our home opener vs UH. Riley is just doing and saying what any HC would say under such circumstances. It should be noted that OU's QB room is not bereft of talent. Tanner Mordecai was the 1st team 6-A all-state QB at Waco Midway. Schaeffer was the starting QB for the 2-A Texas state champion, Canadian. He is a walk-on but not without talent. Finally, there's Spencer Rattler, the MVP of his Elite 11 class. The #1 rated pro-style QB in the country coming out of Pennacle H.S. in Arizona. At 6'2" and 198 lbs he is as fast as Hurts but with an accurate cannon for an arm and he plays with a swagger much like Mayfield. He committed in June of 2017 and has had out playbook since then. The smart money is he gets in 4 games but RS's but if Hurts under performs or gets hurt, it would surprise no one if Rattler took over. We've had this happen before where young untested QB's were forced into action and excelled...Jimmy Harris, Jamaille Holliway, Steve Davis, Landry Jones all took over after the starter was injured or in Davis' case after the starter was declared ineligible. It looks like we won't take a QB in this class and we already have q commitment for 2021, the #1 rated QB from Georgia who's name escapes me. I think all Sooner fans want and expect Hurts to start.

HMM

All-SEC
Sep 1, 2007
I love Jalen, but I'll just put it out there that what one can do when other teams get a quarter look at you doesn't necessarily project to what you can do when they get a full look. The knock on Jalen has never really been that he lacks ability, but that he tends to be readable, especially by elite defenses.
He will not have to worry about elite defenses in the Big 12...lol

bamacon

Hall of Fame
Apr 11, 2008
College Football's Mecca, Tuscaloosa
I saw Rattler twice and he isn’t Baker or Tua. He has mega possibility but he had a good bit of work to do imo. My guess is that is precisely why CLR reached out and got JH. I think he’d really benefit from getting into a bunch of games like Tua did and take over the helm next season. He did get it early so he may be making those strides already.

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
I saw Rattler twice and he isn’t Baker or Tua. He has mega possibility but he had a good bit of work to do imo. My guess is that is precisely why CLR reached out and got JH. I think he’d really benefit from getting into a bunch of games like Tua did and take over the helm next season. He did get it early so he may be making those strides already.

Thanks for the insight...

Imdone

BamaNation Citizen
Mar 18, 2019
Wait, I thought we were debating who would have the better passing numbers between Tua and Jalen just a few days ago and now some are thinking Jalen won't start this year at OU???

Seriously, I think a lot of the hopes for Jalen are based on a few great throws in the comeback against Georgia (like the 3rd down throw for a first down across the middle to Irv Smith Jr. I read an article in USA Today a few days ago highlighting that one play as "proof" he's better. And maybe it is.

But the real answer to the question if Hurts will start is if he's really the QB we saw against Georgia last year OR the QB we saw against Georgia a year earlier in the first half.
or the Tua who threw the touchdown after the 19 yard sack, after throwing an interception on a called running play.....or the Tua who threw the pick six against Clemson and who really just really didn't get it done last year against really good competition. You can't seem to admit that. I'm a newbie, but you seem to be obsessed with Tua and incredibly anti-Jalen. Coach Saban has said that Tua needs to improve and stop trying to win the game by himself. I agree with him.

Last edited:

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
Imdone basically nailed the crux of Tua's personal development goals for 2019: he's gotta pick his spots better for when to extend plays both to protect his body and to avoid critical errors against higher quality opponents. Additionally he's gotta show he can execute traditional offense at a high level. By what I've seen we pretty much ran the RPO half or more of our pass games in 2018.

But this topic is about Jalen Hurts who I think will start every game for OU baring injury.

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
I'm a newbie, but you seem to be obsessed with Tua and incredibly anti-Jalen. .
I think you presume too much. The fact I think Tua is really good doesn't mean I'm anti Jalen. And it doesn't mean I don't think Tua needs to improve.

That was an unfortunate misunderstanding during a good portion of 2017 on this board...and there was a pretty big debate as the season wore on.

But I'm looking forward to seeing him play for OU this year and I'm very much rooting for his success, just like I did at Bama.

BTW, new people are always welcome here, but one of the rules of this board is "It's not what you say but how you say it."

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.