Link: Just coach speak or is there a real chance Hurts may not be the starter at OU?

Tider6972

BamaNation Citizen
Sep 21, 2000
Montgomery, Al USA
Hurts is the odds on favorite to start in our home opener vs UH. Riley is just doing and saying what any HC would say under such circumstances. It should be noted that OU's QB room is not bereft of talent. Tanner Mordecai was the 1st team 6-A all-state QB at Waco Midway. Schaeffer was the starting QB for the 2-A Texas state champion, Canadian. He is a walk-on but not without talent. Finally, there's Spencer Rattler, the MVP of his Elite 11 class. The #1 rated pro-style QB in the country coming out of Pennacle H.S. in Arizona. At 6'2" and 198 lbs he is as fast as Hurts but with an accurate cannon for an arm and he plays with a swagger much like Mayfield. He committed in June of 2017 and has had out playbook since then. The smart money is he gets in 4 games but RS's but if Hurts under performs or gets hurt, it would surprise no one if Rattler took over. We've had this happen before where young untested QB's were forced into action and excelled...Jimmy Harris, Jamaille Holliway, Steve Davis, Landry Jones all took over after the starter was injured or in Davis' case after the starter was declared ineligible. It looks like we won't take a QB in this class and we already have q commitment for 2021, the #1 rated QB from Georgia who's name escapes me. I think all Sooner fans want and expect Hurts to start.
First, Awesome username!! Recognizing the amazing, Top Tier history of Oklahoma, one of only 2 or 3 elite teams in the history of college football.

This board is totally all in for Tua, most already proclaiming him Bama's best of all Time! LMAO

But Saban played Jalen for good reason: He's a hell of a QB. I won't get a second from anyone on this board, but I am as sure as a fan can be:Hurts would compete for Bama's starting job if he were still here - and assuming one N. Saban got a vote.

He'll compete at OU, and I will be pulling for him to be one of your all-time greats - I am convinced he's done enough to be a Bama All Timer.

RTR and Boomer Sooner

Last edited:

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
He'll compete at OU, and I will be pulling for him to be one of your all-time greats - I am convinced he's done enough to be a Bama All Timer.

RTR and Boomer Sooner
I think he starts and does well and I think you are correct. He was very well-liked and respected but he cemented his legacy in the come from behind win against Georgia. If you look up "class" in the dictionary it'll have Jalen Hurts picture beside it.

tusks_n_raider

Hall of Fame
May 13, 2009
Mobile, AL
First, Awesome username!! Recognizing the amazing, Top Tier history of Oklahoma, one of only 2 or 3 elite teams in the history of college football.

This board is totally all in for Tua, most already proclaiming him Bama's best of all Time! LMAO

But Saban played Jalen for good reason: He's a hell of a QB. I won't get a second from anyone on this board, but I am as sure as a fan can be:Hurts would compete for Bama's starting job if he were still here - and assuming one N. Saban got a vote.

RTR and Boomer Sooner

We are 'All-In' because he IS the best. What's so gut busting humorous about that??

He just set the NCAA Record for QB rating in his 1st year starting against SEC defenses and was at 85% Health or less for much of the season.

I know he looked great dropping 318 yards and 4 TD's on Oklahoma at a 89% (24 for 27) clip.

CNS played Jalen in 2017 because of his extreme loyalty to players that have earned a place in his 'Circle of Trust'.

Tua has been better than Jalen from the moment he stepped on campus.

Jalen is a Hell of a competitor, leader, and athlete but he's still a major work in progress as a passing QB.

Jalen would complete for the Backup QB role if he was still here. He's nowhere near as good as Tua and that's why he's at Oklahoma. HE KNOWS he couldn't beat Tua out for the job.

Having said all that Jalen is still one of my favorite All-Time Alabama players and I wish him nothing but success as an individual.

But let's pump the brakes on the Jalen at OU vs. Tua at UA narrative.

I can already see how it's going to play out.

Context won't be a part of the story. Jalen *might* eat up Big12 defenses because they are hot garbage in a burning dumpster. Meanwhile Tua will be playing against stout SEC defenses.

It's not a 1 to 1 comparison but *IF* somehow Jalen has better passing stats people will be proclaiming he's better by just looking at the numerical stats in a vacuum.

This season is going to be extremely tiresome wrt comparisons between the two.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012

RTR and Boomer Sooner
I was and still am a huge fan of Jalen Hurts. Tua is a better QB. Tua was a better QB when he was in High School. Jalen would likely have won a few national championships if he had played the game for a coach like Saban or Meyer about 10 years ago, but defenses have figured out how to stop a mobile QB who takes to long to make passing decisions. Recent examples include Jalen, JT Barrett and Kelly Bryant. They all played on great teams - championship caliber teams, they all destroyed weaker competition, but none could beat a superior defense.

All that said, Tua played so poorly against Clemson because they baited him into some bad decisions early in the game and he lost his confidence. He simply didn't trust his eyes anymore. And against Clemson's defense, that reduced him into one of these QBs. Tua cannot let that happen again. He needs to be better coached, and he needs to believe in himself, even after he makes a poor play.

But when Tua and Jalen are both playing at a high level, Tua is better - far better.

colbysullivan

Hall of Fame
Dec 12, 2007
Gulf Breeze, FL

RTR and Boomer Sooner
I’m not sure what rock you’ve been living under but Tua IS the best Bama QB of all time.

Tide Rev

All-American
Mar 22, 2000
Ocean Springs, MS
I don’t have a favorite dog in this hunt but I believe you wait and proclaim the best QB of all time after a career is over. For example, if Tua (God forbid) gets a Prothro type of injury in the 1st game this season and never takes another snap, can you still honestly proclaim him the best of all time? Just my 2 cents.

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
I was and still am a huge fan of Jalen Hurts. Tua is a better QB.

But when Tua and Jalen are both playing at a high level, Tua is better - far better.
Good post but thought I'd highlight your first and last statement. I've never understood why admitting these things are true makes you a Jalen hater. No matter how good you are there is almost someone else who is better.

But just a few days ago I did something I've never done before. I looked up OU's schedule in order to plan to catch as many OU games on TV as possible.

Hoping he shows out and wins every game unless, of course, we meet them in the postseason.

tusks_n_raider

Hall of Fame
May 13, 2009
Mobile, AL
I don’t have a favorite dog in this hunt but I believe you wait and proclaim the best QB of all time after a career is over. For example, if Tua (God forbid) gets a Prothro type of injury in the 1st game this season and never takes another snap, can you still honestly proclaim him the best of all time? Just my 2 cents.

He just broke.... no... SHATTERED the UA Single Season Passing records and AGAIN.... He set the NCAA Record for QBR.

He should have a Heisman Trophy right now but got jobbed out of it.

Oh and he has an MVP CFP NCG performance on his resume too leading the comeback against UGA down by 13 fresh off the bench having not seen live game action in over a month.....

That was capped off by arguably one of the greatest if not THE greatest single play in CFB History.....The 'Dime in Overtime'.

A freaking Head/Eye fake Safety freezing WALK OFF Laser Throw to win a National Championship.

So.... 'YES'.... If he never takes a single snap for us again.... He's the Best QB to EVER put on a Crimson Jersey.

The Ols

Hall of Fame
Jul 8, 2012
Cumming,Ga.
So we're 40 days away and we have new LSWho and OU posters stirring the pot...Before you get all froggy on me, If I went on an OU board with a fake Sooner name and started picking apart their QB (who just set the ALL TIME PASSER RATING RECORD) I'd be banned...Welcome to the board, but remember it's a Bama board, and Jalen's in Norman because Tua BEAT HIM OUT for the job!...and LMAO too...RTR!!!

RTR and Boomer Sooner

Last edited:

KrAzY3

Hall of Fame
Jan 18, 2006
kraizy.art
CNS played Jalen in 2017 because of his extreme loyalty to players that have earned a place in his 'Circle of Trust'.
This is probably the biggest bit of misinformation I've seen repeated over and over on this forum.

No, that isn't why Jalen played in 2017. He played because he was the best man for the job.

I also heard things like Alabama would have gone undefeated with Tua that year, so on so forth (incessant blaming of Saban for not playing Tua). Well Alabama didn't go undefeated with Tua last year did they? No, in fact they needed Jalen to save them from one loss, and then they still had another loss. This was with a more seasoned Tua mind you...

I've said since the Georgia game that Tua should be the starter, but anyone who can't see by now that Hurts played because he brought other things to the table is willfully ignorant.

RollTide_HTTR

Hall of Fame
Feb 22, 2017
This is probably the biggest bit of misinformation I've seen repeated over and over on this forum.

No, that isn't why Jalen played in 2017. He played because he was the best man for the job.

I also heard things like Alabama would have gone undefeated with Tua that year, so on so forth (incessant blaming of Saban for not playing Tua). Well Alabama didn't go undefeated with Tua last year did they? No, in fact they needed Jalen to save them from one loss, and then they still had another loss. This was with a more seasoned Tua mind you...

I've said since the Georgia game that Tua should be the starter, but anyone who can't see by now that Hurts played because he brought other things to the table is willfully ignorant.

I really don't want to rehash this argument but can't there be a middle ground here. Jalen played because hes a good QB and had more experience. But its also plausible/likely Tua was already better than him and could have started and won at least as many games as Jalen did.

AlexanderFan

Hall of Fame
Jul 23, 2004
Birmingham
Definitely coach speak.

Sent from my iPhone Xs Max using Tapatalk Pro
He said that so Rattler doesn’t enter the transfer portal before he gets moved in. Jalen will beat him out and Riley might play Rattler to keep him satisfied (might even play him in game 5 to burn his shirt) which could ultimately pay dividends for next year.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TrampLineman

Hall of Fame
Jul 21, 2010
Alabama

The only problem I had was Coach Saban keeping Hurts in against the barn. It was painfully obvious Jalen couldn't move the offense that day. Hurts had the same amount of carries than Harris, Scarbrough and Jacobs had TOGETHER. Jalen was 12 for 22 with only 112 yards passing. Bo and Damien both averaged more than 7.7 yards per carry and both only had 6 a piece. Only had the ball just shy of 24 minutes as well. Other than that Hurts just simply had more experience and was the better option but by the Iron Bowl Tua had enough playing time to pay off as we seen in the Georgia game.

Last edited:

KrAzY3

Hall of Fame
Jan 18, 2006
kraizy.art
I really don't want to rehash this argument but can't there be a middle ground here.
Of course there's some middle ground, and I would point out one thing. I haven't made a single post here saying what if Hurts played instead of Tua. This is the closest I've come to that, so I'm not here to push some pro-Hurts over Tua narrative. The point is Hurts played not because of some sort of favoritism or misplaced loyalty, he played for a valid reason. He also was pulled on the Georgia game for a reason and I've never had a problem with that either, in fact I argued for it before it happened.

I think the thing that had to be acknowledged here is that winning requires a great many variables to go the right way, but there's not only one combination of them for success. Clearly Tua is a better passer (and I argued adamantly that he deserved the Heisman), but it's also clear Hurts is in fact better at some other things at this stage in their development, one of which might simply be staying healthy. After the past couple Georgia games I'd hope we can all see it isn't necessarily a matter of "better" at one thing, or an easy choice. Generally speaking, I think Saban had made the correct choices in this situation, especially considering he lacks the benefit of hindsight.

Last edited:

Tider6972

BamaNation Citizen
Sep 21, 2000
Montgomery, Al USA
Of course there's some middle ground, and I would point out one thing. I haven't made a single post here saying what if Hurts played instead of Tua. This is the closest I've come to that, so I'm not here to push some pro-Hurts over Tua narrative. The point is Hurts played not because of some sort of favoritism or misplaced loyalty, he played for a valid reason. He also was pulled on the Georgia game for a reason and I've never had a problem with that either, in fact I argued for it before it happened.

I think the thing that had to be acknowledged here is that winning requires a great many variables to go the right way, but there's not only one combination of them for success. Clearly Tua is a better passer (and I argued adamantly that he deserved the Heisman), but it's also clear Hurts is in fact better at some other things at this stage in their development, one of which might simply be staying healthy. After the past couple Georgia games I'd hope we can all see it isn't necessarily a matter of "better" at one thing, or an easy choice. Generally speaking, I think Saban had made the correct choices in this situation, especially considering he lacks the benefit of hindsight.
Just a Great post.
Facts.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012

Some of this is true, and some just is not. By the mid point in the season, pretty much everyone associated with the team said that Tua was the better QB and should be starting. The difference between the two late in 2017 was so stark that your receiving corps was in active revolt.

Had the circumstances not played out exactly as they did, Tua never sees the field against GA in the CFPCG. Let's say that GA does not score that TD late in the 1st half - Jalen remains under center because you would still have been close, even though your offense was HORRID and Jalen was playing like he was lost. Saban would have stuck by Jalen until it was too late - maybe even the entire game. The result would have been far worse than a loss. The dynasty would have ended that day. Tua would have left along with a whole bunch of other players, and I can't imagine the damage to recruiting.

Again, love Jalen, but Tua was better. Tua should have been elevated to starter sometime during the 2017 season because he was more capable. Tua offered Alabama the best chance to win.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.