Link: Just coach speak or is there a real chance Hurts may not be the starter at OU? - Page 3
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    BamaNation Hall of Fame TideMan09's Avatar

Re: Just coach speak or is there a real chance Hurts may not be the starter at OU?

Quote Originally Posted by DogPatch View Post
    Jalen is a great competitor, but I wouldn't go that far.
    I respect your opinion, but, have to agree to disagree..Cause his record as our starer says otherwise..You won't find another QB with the kinda leadership & experience Jalen has from playing at Bama in the SEC under the coaching of Coach Saban..JMO

BamaNation Hall of Fame BamaMoon's Avatar

Re: Just coach speak or is there a real chance Hurts may not be the starter at OU?

Wait, I thought we were debating who would have the better passing numbers between Tua and Jalen just a few days ago and now some are thinking Jalen won't start this year at OU???

Seriously, I think a lot of the hopes for Jalen are based on a few great throws in the comeback against Georgia (like the 3rd down throw for a first down across the middle to Irv Smith Jr. I read an article in USA Today a few days ago highlighting that one play as "proof" he's better. And maybe it is.

But the real answer to the question if Hurts will start is if he's really the QB we saw against Georgia last year OR the QB we saw against Georgia a year earlier in the first half.
    Last edited by BamaMoon; July 17th, 2019 at 08:44 AM.

BamaNation First Team

I love Jalen, but I'll just put it out there that what one can do when other teams get a quarter look at you doesn't necessarily project to what you can do when they get a full look. The knock on Jalen has never really been that he lacks ability, but that he tends to be readable, especially by elite defenses.

BamaNation Hall of Fame deliveryman35's Avatar

Coach speak.
    "Football is a hard game. These spread coaches forget that. Until good defenses remind them." Gene Stallings

BamaNation Hall of Fame

Quote Originally Posted by Bamabuzzard View Post
    My guess it's just coach speak. But CLR says Hurts has to "win the job first" when fielding questions from the media at Big 12 media day.

https://www.espn.com/college-footbal...top-qb-job-yet
    OK got Hurts to have a shot at the National Championship.
    It would not make sense to have Jalen on the bench.
    IMO: That was to build a fire under OKs #2 QB.

Big-12 All American owenfieldreams's Avatar

Hurts is the odds on favorite to start in our home opener vs UH. Riley is just doing and saying what any HC would say under such circumstances. It should be noted that OU's QB room is not bereft of talent. Tanner Mordecai was the 1st team 6-A all-state QB at Waco Midway. Schaeffer was the starting QB for the 2-A Texas state champion, Canadian. He is a walk-on but not without talent. Finally, there's Spencer Rattler, the MVP of his Elite 11 class. The #1 rated pro-style QB in the country coming out of Pennacle H.S. in Arizona. At 6'2" and 198 lbs he is as fast as Hurts but with an accurate cannon for an arm and he plays with a swagger much like Mayfield. He committed in June of 2017 and has had out playbook since then. The smart money is he gets in 4 games but RS's but if Hurts under performs or gets hurt, it would surprise no one if Rattler took over. We've had this happen before where young untested QB's were forced into action and excelled...Jimmy Harris, Jamaille Holliway, Steve Davis, Landry Jones all took over after the starter was injured or in Davis' case after the starter was declared ineligible. It looks like we won't take a QB in this class and we already have q commitment for 2021, the #1 rated QB from Georgia who's name escapes me. I think all Sooner fans want and expect Hurts to start.

I think there is a chance that he loses out but I doubt it.
    Last edited by Chipeace; July 21st, 2019 at 04:48 PM. Reason: Typo

Quote Originally Posted by stlimprov View Post
    I love Jalen, but I'll just put it out there that what one can do when other teams get a quarter look at you doesn't necessarily project to what you can do when they get a full look. The knock on Jalen has never really been that he lacks ability, but that he tends to be readable, especially by elite defenses.
    He will not have to worry about elite defenses in the Big 12...lol

BamaNation Hall of Fame bamacon's Avatar

I saw Rattler twice and he isnt Baker or Tua. He has mega possibility but he had a good bit of work to do imo. My guess is that is precisely why CLR reached out and got JH. I think hed really benefit from getting into a bunch of games like Tua did and take over the helm next season. He did get it early so he may be making those strides already.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BamaNation Third Team

Quote Originally Posted by JustNeedMe81 View Post
    He said same thing about Murrary last year.
    ..and Baker Mayfield before that.

Quote Originally Posted by bamacon View Post
    I saw Rattler twice and he isn’t Baker or Tua. He has mega possibility but he had a good bit of work to do imo. My guess is that is precisely why CLR reached out and got JH. I think he’d really benefit from getting into a bunch of games like Tua did and take over the helm next season. He did get it early so he may be making those strides already.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Thanks for the insight...
    "The cure for boredom is curiosity. There is no cure for curiosity. - Ellen Parr"

'If today were the last day of my life, would I want to do what I am about to do today?' - Steve Jobs

I would rather live my life as if there is a god and die to find out there isn't, than live my life as if there isn't and die to find out there is. Albert Camus

"When Fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross." - Sinclair Lewis

BamaNation Third Team

Quote Originally Posted by BamaMoon View Post
    Wait, I thought we were debating who would have the better passing numbers between Tua and Jalen just a few days ago and now some are thinking Jalen won't start this year at OU???

Seriously, I think a lot of the hopes for Jalen are based on a few great throws in the comeback against Georgia (like the 3rd down throw for a first down across the middle to Irv Smith Jr. I read an article in USA Today a few days ago highlighting that one play as "proof" he's better. And maybe it is.

But the real answer to the question if Hurts will start is if he's really the QB we saw against Georgia last year OR the QB we saw against Georgia a year earlier in the first half.
    or the Tua who threw the touchdown after the 19 yard sack, after throwing an interception on a called running play.....or the Tua who threw the pick six against Clemson and who really just really didn't get it done last year against really good competition. You can't seem to admit that. I'm a newbie, but you seem to be obsessed with Tua and incredibly anti-Jalen. Coach Saban has said that Tua needs to improve and stop trying to win the game by himself. I agree with him.
    Last edited by Imdone; July 22nd, 2019 at 08:13 PM.

BamaNation Hall of Fame

Imdone basically nailed the crux of Tua's personal development goals for 2019: he's gotta pick his spots better for when to extend plays both to protect his body and to avoid critical errors against higher quality opponents. Additionally he's gotta show he can execute traditional offense at a high level. By what I've seen we pretty much ran the RPO half or more of our pass games in 2018.

But this topic is about Jalen Hurts who I think will start every game for OU baring injury.
    I owe it to the people to have a signature...so here goes nothing!