Link: Just coach speak or is there a real chance Hurts may not be the starter at OU?

PA Tide Fan

All-American
Dec 11, 2014
Lancaster, PA
I think Hurts will be the starter for game 1 but that doesn't mean he's the starter the whole season. OU is usually deep at QB so if Hurts struggles at all it won't take much for Riley to make a change. I'm not convinced he's going to be a prolific passer just because it's the Big 12.

TideMan09

Hall of Fame
Jan 17, 2009
Anniston, Alabama
If Hurts doesn't win the job & a younger less experienced QB beats him out..The Sooner's will be in the hunt for a NC, cause Hurts is one of the better QB's in the country, Oklahoma will have themselves a really really good QB on their hands..If Hurts doesn't win the job..

EnterBama

Scout Team
Oct 24, 2018
He will ride the pine for most of his senior season. Probably a lot more so than he would have had he stayed here.
Maybe Riley's a better QB coach with a better offense than anything we have but even in the Georgia game he held the ball a lot longer than he should have and wanted to run.

I think Georgia's defense was gassed which helped.

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
Unless he has an awful Fall, I imagine Hurts' worst case scenario is that he starts to begin the season.

WMack4Bama

Administrator
Staff member
Nov 7, 2008
Tuscaloosa, AL
Politicking. That freshman QB coming in was under the impression that he would walk right into the job (this was before Jalen decided to transfer). Coach Riley just has to walk a tight rope here.

TheRealPokeChop

Hall of Fame
Jul 7, 2010
Hueytown, Al
He does have a red shirt available and 4 games to use before its burned.

I think he wins the job, big 12 defenses will not be able to deal with him as a runner just has to br made official but who knows

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
Politicking. That freshman QB coming in was under the impression that he would walk right into the job (this was before Jalen decided to transfer). Coach Riley just has to walk a tight rope here.
True. I don't think Rattler is a Tua, although he probably thinks he is...

CrimsonNagus

Hall of Fame
Jun 6, 2007
Montgomery, Alabama, United States
We all know the knock on Hurts is his field vision and throwing. Honestly, Tua probably “beat” him out in 2017 but Saban was loyal. Hurts hasn’t earned that loyalty at OU so, if a younger QB beats him out then I wouldn’t be surprised at all if he doesn’t start.

Go Bama

Hall of Fame
Dec 6, 2009
16outa17essee
Well, I’m going to be shocked if he doesn’t start. He showed tremendous improvement last year and he will be even better under Riley. Be that as t may, every player has to win their spot.

GrayTide

Hall of Fame
Nov 15, 2005
Greenbow, Alabama
Apparently Rattler was one of the best QBs in the class of 2019. Unless Hurts is clearly head and shoulders above Rattler, then Riley has to decide on a one year player or OU's future. I would think he would go with the future QB. One of the down sides of transferring.

Bama9001

1st Team
Sep 26, 2017
I went and read some of the recaps from their spring practice and spring game. Observers had little doubt that Jalen had wrapped the job up, at least heading into the fall.

AlexanderFan

Hall of Fame
Jul 23, 2004
Birmingham
He’s alive!!

You think Riley is walking the tightrope to have a good quarterback this year and give Rattler the chance to grow on the bench? It’s a dangerous play given how locker rooms can get divided, but it could give him a solid year at quarterback instead of facing growing pains as the season progresses.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.