Link: Just coach speak or is there a real chance Hurts may not be the starter at OU?
Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast
    Where ever there's BBQ, Crawfish & Football

Just coach speak or is there a real chance Hurts may not be the starter at OU?

My guess it's just coach speak. But CLR says Hurts has to "win the job first" when fielding questions from the media at Big 12 media day.

https://www.espn.com/college-footbal...top-qb-job-yet
    The existence of God isn't determined in the thoughts of man. God exists, no matter what man thinks.

"It cost a lot of money to look this cheap."-Dolly Parton.

"If you ever want to know how good your barbecue is start charging for it"-Myron Mixon

BamaNation All-SEC

Re: Just coach speak or is there a real chance Hurts may not be the starter at OU?

Quote Originally Posted by Bamabuzzard View Post
    My guess it's just coach speak. But CLR says Hurts has to "win the job first" when fielding questions from the media at Big 12 media day.

https://www.espn.com/college-footbal...top-qb-job-yet
    That would be prudent to make him win the job...……………….and what happens if he doesn't win it?

BamaNation Hall of Fame TideEngineer08's Avatar

Re: Just coach speak or is there a real chance Hurts may not be the starter at OU?

Quote Originally Posted by Keeter View Post
    That would be prudent to make him win the job...……………….and what happens if he doesn't win it?
    He will ride the pine for most of his senior season. Probably a lot more so than he would have had he stayed here.

Rattler wins the Heisman? (Flying Elephants???LOL...)on TideFans.com
    Quote Originally Posted by Keeter View Post

I hope he wins the job but I won't be surprised if he doesn't. Depends on his field vision and decision making improvement.
    "It's not the will to win that matters - everyone has that.
    It's the will to prepare to win that matters."
    PAUL "BEAR" BRYANT

BamaNation All-American PA Tide Fan's Avatar

I think Hurts will be the starter for game 1 but that doesn't mean he's the starter the whole season. OU is usually deep at QB so if Hurts struggles at all it won't take much for Riley to make a change. I'm not convinced he's going to be a prolific passer just because it's the Big 12.

Quote Originally Posted by TideEngineer08 View Post
    He will ride the pine for most of his senior season. Probably a lot more so than he would have had he stayed here.
    And that would be a damned shame. He would have been more valuable here...
    "The cure for boredom is curiosity. There is no cure for curiosity. - Ellen Parr"

'If today were the last day of my life, would I want to do what I am about to do today?' - Steve Jobs

“I would rather live my life as if there is a god and die to find out there isn't, than live my life as if there isn't and die to find out there is.” Albert Camus

"When Fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross." - Sinclair Lewis

BamaNation Hall of Fame TideMan09's Avatar

If Hurts doesn't win the job & a younger less experienced QB beats him out..The Sooner's will be in the hunt for a NC, cause Hurts is one of the better QB's in the country, Oklahoma will have themselves a really really good QB on their hands..If Hurts doesn't win the job..

BamaNation Second Team

Quote Originally Posted by TideEngineer08 View Post
    Maybe Riley's a better QB coach with a better offense than anything we have but even in the Georgia game he held the ball a lot longer than he should have and wanted to run.

I think Georgia's defense was gassed which helped.

BamaNation Hall of Fame

Unless he has an awful Fall, I imagine Hurts' worst case scenario is that he starts to begin the season.
    I owe it to the people to have a signature...so here goes nothing!

Politicking. That freshman QB coming in was under the impression that he would walk right into the job (this was before Jalen decided to transfer). Coach Riley just has to walk a tight rope here.
    "I didn't come to Alabama to win 10 games a year and be a contender. I came here to win championships. Conference championships and national championships. I love it here because that's just not what I want, but what this fanbase expects."
    --Alabama Head Football Coach, Nick Saban

“Everyone is a genius. But if you judge a fish on it’s ability to climb a tree, it will spend it’s whole life believing it is stupid.” — Albert Einstein

BamaNation All-American TheRealPokeChop's Avatar

He does have a red shirt available and 4 games to use before its burned.

I think he wins the job, big 12 defenses will not be able to deal with him as a runner just has to br made official but who knows

BamaNation Second Team DogPatch's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by TideMan09 View Post
    cause Hurts is one of the better QB's in the country.
    Jalen is a great competitor, but I wouldn't go that far.