SEC Media Day

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
Saban told Finebaum earlier today in an exchange on the SEC Network that it was the asst. coaches’ individual agendas after the LSU game last season that was mainly to blame for the team’s troubles late in the season. My question is, how does he keep that from happening this season and keep his staff focused on the here and now?
There has been some talk from folks in the REC that states that some of the speakers who were close to the situation said Saban last year pulled back a lot of his control over individual position coaches (Dline specifically) and it led to a lot of lapses in discipline.

They also said Saban is probably more motivated than he ever has been this year after the Clemson game.

JustNeedMe81

Hall of Fame
Sep 30, 2011
Huntsville, Al
There has been some talk from folks in the REC that states that some of the speakers who were close to the situation said Saban last year pulled back a lot of his control over individual position coaches (Dline specifically) and it led to a lot of lapses in discipline.

They also said Saban is probably more motivated than he ever has been this year after the Clemson game.
Delivery man and 81, that sounds about right... combine that with players who was focused on NFL... it was a perfect storm.

CoolBreeze

Hall of Fame
Sep 18, 2002
Hoover
Saban told Finebaum earlier today in an exchange on the SEC Network that it was the asst. coaches’ individual agendas after the LSU game last season that was mainly to blame for the team’s troubles late in the season. My question is, how does he keep that from happening this season and keep his staff focused on the here and now?
He has some familiar faces back on the staff that know the drill AND he'll be cracking the whip.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
And, if this is true, that would be two times he has lost control of members of his staff, costing Alabama a national championship both times. In the end, it all lands on his desk, and he knows it.

BamaInCummingGA

1st Team
Jun 8, 2017
Cumming, Ga
In my opinion, he hired the staff that he did specifcally to try to keep some continuity and because quite a few of the coaches he hired have a rep for being able to connect with the players and are known to be teachers as well as recruiters.
I think we'll see a more focused staff and group of players. That Clemson game stung and it will show this season.

BamaInCummingGA

1st Team
Jun 8, 2017
Cumming, Ga
And, if this is true, that would be two times he has lost control of members of his staff, costing Alabama a national championship both times. In the end, it all lands on his desk, and he knows it.
True, Big Tide, but there is only so much a head coach can do in controlling staff. Especially staff members who are already planning on moving on anyway. It was truly the perfect receipe for disaster when in bigger games came along,

Padreruf

Hall of Fame
Feb 12, 2001
Charleston, South Carolina
That one statement explained so much...we thought we could cakewalk through the playoffs and even the coaches got caught up in their own agendas. Full loyalty is rare...even with high salaries and 2 year guarantees.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
Going to guess the first time was Lane, and there was absolutely nothing Saban could have done to prevent that disaster.

This time around? Probably so. Still think the calendar needs to change because coaching hires make a big difference in these games.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
Going to guess the first time was Lane, and there was absolutely nothing Saban could have done to prevent that disaster.
I'm not blaming him for either, and what good does blame ever do anyone? But it was his responsibility. He continues to learn, just like the rest of us.

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
It was pretty clear that we had a much worse defensive staff last year. I don't think anyone realized just how much worse until Clemson got ahold of them with one foot out the door. Kirby took some heat but at least his unit made some stops in 2015.

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
Also, I was listening on SECN on my phone while working. Finebaum said some things that lead me to believe that Saban was earnest with rating Clemson above Alabama all year in 2018.

Also with regard to what I said earlier about transfer. I don't have a strong opinion on it but Saban's on-stage explanation was not a good one. "That's the way it has always been" is a debate 101 mistake: an appeal to tradition. What is the justification for making them sit for a year? I don't think he has a good answer so he opted for a logical fallacy. I think the honest answer parsing his words is that it is a punitive action for the player abrogating their four-year commitment to the school especially now that the schools usually offer four-year scholarships instead of yearly renewable scholarships. I think that is reasonable enough argument in a vacuum but it won't play in the media or with the recruits stated plainly so he didn't say it.

So perhaps the solution that makes everyone happy is to allow coaches to cut players again but also allow the players to leave without punitive action at any time too? I remember people being up in arms about cutting players a few years ago.

BayouBama75

All-SEC
Dec 7, 2001
Knoxville, TN
I was watching the interview live... What I took from it was that was always the way it was because if you don't have to sit and everyone gets wavers, then it is like college free agency and he doesn't think that is good for college football. No problems with the graduate transfers.

CrimsonEyeshade

Hall of Fame
Nov 6, 2007

Maybe my info is questionable, but I’ve been told Saban wanted Kiffin gone after year two but was talked out of following through with the firing by the agent he and a Kiffin shared.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.