Link: Doing it bigger ... doing it harder ... doing it TOGETHER ...

imauafan

All-American
Mar 3, 2004
Huntsville, AL
It was blatantly obvious for the past few years that our guys had no muscle definition. The photos show more physical development in one off-season than I've seen in a long time, perhaps ever, at UA with the basketball program. I'm not sure we've ever had a coach that emphasized off-season S&C as they should have.

teamplayer

Hall of Fame
Jul 31, 2001
cullman, al, usa
Herb Jones has NBA athletic ability. If he improves his ball handling and shooting, he will have a chance for some big paydays. It can be done. I remember Sprewell being just an athlete who could defend, rebound, and dunk one year, and then the next year he had added a three point shot. He was having a great NBA career until he seemed to lose his mind.

CajunCrimson

Moderator (FB,BB) and Vinyl Enthusiast
Staff member
Mar 13, 2001
Breaux Bridge, La
Herb Jones has NBA athletic ability. If he improves his ball handling and shooting, he will have a chance for some big paydays. It can be done. I remember Sprewell being just an athlete who could defend, rebound, and dunk one year, and then the next year he had added a three point shot. He was having a great NBA career until he seemed to lose his mind.
I like Jones, but he's NOT Sprewell.....unfortunately, not even close. He is likely a lot smarter, but his energy level is WAY low..... he has more of a Kevin Durant style, without the jump shot.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
For comparison's sake, here's Reese shooting a FT last year. Can tell he's different than he was this past season.

I like Jones, but he's NOT Sprewell.....unfortunately, not even close. He is likely a lot smarter, but his energy level is WAY low..... he has more of a Kevin Durant style, without the jump shot.
Completely missed the analogy, CC. He wasn't saying Herb is Sprewell. He was saying Sprewell improved his game over the summer by added a jumper and he's hoping Herbert does the same.

BAMAVILLE

Moderator (FB,BB,REC)
Staff member
Jan 9, 2014
True ... him becoming a explosive player with a consistent jumper can only help his stock

TiderJack

Hall of Fame
Jul 9, 2010
Inverness, AL
For comparison's sake, here's Reese shooting a FT last year. Can tell he's different than he was this past season.
Alex and it looks quite a few others are going through the body transformation we see a lot of our football players go through. We are not going to run out of gas or get pushed around this year. If we can shoot it consistently this team will be dangerous.

CoolBreeze

Hall of Fame
Sep 18, 2002
Hoover
All I can say is that I love all the buzz Oats has created in Bama Hoops. Heck, I'm buzzin around this board just about every day these days. Really look forward to the season to start and I haven't felt that way in quite a long time.

teamplayer

Hall of Fame
Jul 31, 2001
cullman, al, usa
I wasn't comparing their styles as much as demonstrating how players can make drastic changes from one year to the next. Spre could handle the ball pretty well and only needed small improvement there, but his shooting improved dramatically from one year to the next. Herb almost looked paralyzed with the ball in his hands because he was almost as likely to pass to the other team as throw up a brick. He has great athletic ability, but he has a lot of work to do, in my opinion. I hope he puts in the time and shows the improvement.

day-day

Hall of Fame
Jan 2, 2005
Bartlett, TN (Memphis area)
I wasn't comparing their styles as much as demonstrating how players can make drastic changes from one year to the next. Spre could handle the ball pretty well and only needed small improvement there, but his shooting improved dramatically from one year to the next. Herb almost looked paralyzed with the ball in his hands because he was almost as likely to pass to the other team as throw up a brick. He has great athletic ability, but he has a lot of work to do, in my opinion. I hope he puts in the time and shows the improvement.
Also, while Sprewell started basketball relatively late in life, he entered Alabama as a junior with junior college experience. Jones will hopefully make the same leap this year and next. Like Jones, Sprewell played tough defense; he was on All-SEC defense.

Last edited:

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.