Link: ESPN Article: Tua "Learned many lessons from loss to Clemson".

tusks_n_raider

Hall of Fame
May 13, 2009
Mobile, AL
I think I've about reached my threshold of tolerance for people poor mouthing our starting QB.

It's like he gets NO CREDIT for playing 2/3rds of the season at less than 100%..... he was probably 85% or less most of the time and STILL LIT teams UP.

Was he the same after the knee injury stated vs Arkansas??? NO... he wasn't. He lost almost all of his lateral agility that allows him to buy time and extend plays.

If he did anything wrong it would be him having trouble adjusting to the injury, knee brace etc. He kept trying to make 100% Healthy Tua plays at 85%. He pressed and started doing things out of the norm.

Yes he loves the BIG play..... but go back and watch the 1st 6 games and you'll see him making plenty of checkdowns. He only went away from that after the knee issue started.

I mean look..... these are his stats from Missouri forward where to varying degrees he was banged up.... and NOT MISSING PLAYING TIME.... HE PLAYED THROUGH THE INJURIES....:

169 of 254 (67% Comp) for 2,471 yards 25 TD's and 6 INT's

That's a 9 game stretch of 85% or less Tua..... and if those were his ONLY passing stats he would have still been 10th in Alabama All-Time single Passing yards and 4th (FOURTH) in Passing TD's.

You could even look at it like this.... His November QBR was 178.32 and his Dec/Jan QBR was 158.57

If he had a season long QBR of 178.32 he would have been 2ND in QBR only behind Kyler Murray.

If he had a season long QBR of 158.57 he would have been 9TH in the country.

Is this message getting through??

His WORST PLAY is still Top 10 QB level play....

Some people around here need to get a grip on things with some proper perspective.

Tua's not perfect.... but he's the best QB we have EVER had and he played his GUTS out for us last year and it would nice if people would get off his back criticizing and nitpicking.

PA Tide Fan

All-American
Dec 11, 2014
Lancaster, PA
I assume what Tua learned is tricks Clemson uses to disguise their coverage, but I don't blame Tua for the loss. After his first INT we did come back and get the lead and it's not his fault Clemson scored 30 unanswered points after that. Poor execution in the red zone from bad play calling and/or poor blocking is what sunk us.

bamamc1

Hall of Fame
Oct 24, 2011
Haleyville, AL
CNS was correct in his review of the staff last year: Locksley, gone, Gaddis (sip) gone, Enos gone, Tosh (thank God) gone, Clemson played Pitt and ND What do you think they were getting ready for?

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
I assume what Tua learned is tricks Clemson uses to disguise their coverage, but I don't blame Tua for the loss. After his first INT we did come back and get the lead and it's not his fault Clemson scored 30 unanswered points after that. Poor execution in the red zone from bad play calling and/or poor blocking is what sunk us.
We had to be tipping off what we were doing in some ways. To Clemson's credit, they figured it out. But it's a mystery to me how we ran the ball down their throats at times (especially between the 20's) but when we needed to run it near the RZ they stopped us in our tracks. I don't know if we got predictable or lazy in our play calling or if their RZ defense was just that much better than our RZ offense. But I do know this: it was our failure to be able to produce points after moving the ball easily that sunk us in that game.

bamamc1

Hall of Fame
Oct 24, 2011
Haleyville, AL
I think I've about reached my threshold of tolerance for people poor mouthing our starting QB.

It's like he gets NO CREDIT for playing 2/3rds of the season at less than 100%..... he was probably 85% or less most of the time and STILL LIT teams UP.

Was he the same after the knee injury stated vs Arkansas??? NO... he wasn't. He lost almost all of his lateral agility that allows him to buy time and extend plays.

If he did anything wrong it would be him having trouble adjusting to the injury, knee brace etc. He kept trying to make 100% Healthy Tua plays at 85%. He pressed and started doing things out of the norm.

Yes he loves the BIG play..... but go back and watch the 1st 6 games and you'll see him making plenty of checkdowns. He only went away from that after the knee issue started.

I mean look..... these are his stats from Missouri forward where to varying degrees he was banged up.... and NOT MISSING PLAYING TIME.... HE PLAYED THROUGH THE INJURIES....:

169 of 254 (67% Comp) for 2,471 yards 25 TD's and 6 INT's

That's a 9 game stretch of 85% or less Tua..... and if those were his ONLY passing stats he would have still been 10th in Alabama All-Time single Passing yards and 4th (FOURTH) in Passing TD's.

You could even look at it like this.... His November QBR was 178.32 and his Dec/Jan QBR was 158.57

If he had a season long QBR of 178.32 he would have been 2ND in QBR only behind Kyler Murray.

If he had a season long QBR of 158.57 he would have been 9TH in the country.

Is this message getting through??

His WORST PLAY is still Top 10 QB level play....

Some people around here need to get a grip on things with some proper perspective.

Tua's not perfect.... but he's the best QB we have EVER had and he played his GUTS out for us last year and it would nice if people would get off his back criticizing and nitpicking.
Great post. If we had taken care of the ball a little better in the title game I think things would have been a lot closer. We were only out gained by 52 yards. I think we'll be fine this year.

RollTide1224

All-American
Feb 18, 2008
Spartanburg, SC
We had to be tipping off what we were doing in some ways. To Clemson's credit, they figured it out. But it's a mystery to me how we ran the ball down their throats at times (especially between the 20's) but when we needed to run it near the RZ they stopped us in our tracks. I don't know if we got predictable or lazy in our play calling or if their RZ defense was just that much better than our RZ offense. But I do know this: it was our failure to be able to produce points after moving the ball easily that sunk us in that game.
I think Clemson's plan was to play the pass first and the run 2nd. They probably doubted our commitment to running the ball with TUA and our WR. Once we got in the redzone their talent at DL and the condensed field was able to stop us. We didn't really have our standard blow you off the line O line or your typical Saban running back.

I also think Clemson learned to stop trying to run the ball on Alabama. Most teams just bang their head against the wall trying to run on us and then the game is over before they realize they can't do it. Clemson just accepted they weren't going to be able to do it until later in the game once we were gassed.

I give kudos to their coaching staff. They definitely learned lessons from the last few games.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.