Link: ESPN Article: Tua "Learned many lessons from loss to Clemson".
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Where ever there's BBQ, Crawfish & Football

ESPN Article: Tua "Learned many lessons from loss to Clemson".

Pretty decent read. IMO, Saban hit it on the head by saying Tua needs to improve his decision making. Also, per the article, blowing everyone out in the regular season and not being challenged seemed to impact the players when they were truly challenged. In other words, they weren't battled tested.

https://www.espn.com/college-footbal...s-loss-clemson
    Last edited by Bamabuzzard; July 17th, 2019 at 02:22 PM.
    The existence of God isn't determined in the thoughts of man. God exists, no matter what man thinks.

"It cost a lot of money to look this cheap."-Dolly Parton.

"If you ever want to know how good your barbecue is start charging for it"-Myron Mixon

BamaNation Hall of Fame TideMan09's Avatar

Re: ESPN Article: Tua "Learned many lessons from loss to Clemson".

Exactly..It's human nature to feel invincinble when you run through all your opponents & then all of a sudden you play a team as good as you..And they punch you in the mouth from the get go..

BamaNation Hall of Fame JustNeedMe81's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Bamabuzzard View Post
    Pretty decent read. IMO, Saban hit it on the head by saying Tua needs to improve his decision making. Also, per the article, blowing everyone out in the regular season and not being challenged seemed to impact the players when they were truly challenged. In other words, they weren't battled tested.

https://www.espn.com/college-footbal...s-loss-clemson
    Kinda hard to be battle tested when we were that good.... but there was a moment or two where I wished our starters would play into late 3rd quarters... and get some experience playing in 3rd and 4th quarter.
    We are champions. We can prove it! *counting 15 championships*

Where ever there's BBQ, Crawfish & Football

Quote Originally Posted by JustNeedMe81 View Post
    Kinda hard to be battle tested when we were that good.... but there was a moment or two where I wished our starters would play into late 3rd quarters... and get some experience playing in 3rd and 4th quarter.
    I agree, but even that is a double edged sword. Could you imagine the Tuscaloosa media/message board meltdowns that would have occurred if Saban would have continued to play starters into the late 3rd possibly early 4th quarter during games that were already a massive blowouts and major injuries would have happened?

I think that is why people say it takes a lot of "luck" to win a championship. Hard work must be put in, no doubt. But things out of your control have to fall your way as well and all it takes for all that hard work (things in your control) to be nullified, is for enough of those things that you have no control over to not go your way.
    The existence of God isn't determined in the thoughts of man. God exists, no matter what man thinks.

"It cost a lot of money to look this cheap."-Dolly Parton.

"If you ever want to know how good your barbecue is start charging for it"-Myron Mixon

BamaNation Hall of Fame CajunCrimson's Avatar

Playing into the 3rd or 4th quarters wouldn't have gotten them "battle tested" -- it would have caused blowouts by even bigger margins, and Saban would have been accused of rubbing it in.

The only thing I think he could have done is to start his second string guys -- and then let the 1st stringers come in the second quarter, etc. But that's a bad idea, and you build no continuity.....

It's going to be a different year this year! I guarantee you, it won't happen again. Something different could happen - but it won't be complacency that hits us this year
    Doc Holliday: [to Johnny Ringo, after shooting him in a duel] You're no daisy! You're no daisy at all. Poor soul, you were just too high strung

BamaNation Hall of Fame B1GTide's Avatar

Glad that Tua is growing up. He has a bright future, but having a great arm is only part of the QB equation.

BamaNation Second Team

Quote Originally Posted by CajunCrimson View Post
    Playing into the 3rd or 4th quarters wouldn't have gotten them "battle tested" -- it would have caused blowouts by even bigger margins, and Saban would have been accused of rubbing it in.

The only thing I think he could have done is to start his second string guys -- and then let the 1st stringers come in the second quarter, etc. But that's a bad idea, and you build no continuity.....

It's going to be a different year this year! I guarantee you, it won't happen again. Something different could happen - but it won't be complacency that hits us this year
    Coach Bryant actually did that a lot, especially on defense. When he had some of those great defenses in the 70's he would put the twos and threes in first. If the other team got around our 40 he'd put the one's in who usually drove them back 20 yards.

BamaNation Hall of Fame BamaMoon's Avatar

Saw some Barners on Twitter revelling in Tua saying he's glad we didn't win so he could learn this lesson.

Man, their hate for Bama is at an all-time high to hate on a guy simply trying to make lemonade out of lemons.

BamaNation Hall of Fame B1GTide's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by BamaMoon View Post
    Saw some Barners on Twitter revelling in Tua saying he's glad we didn't win so he could learn this lesson.

Man, their hate for Bama is at an all-time high to hate on a guy simply trying to make lemonade out of lemons.
    To be fair, I thought the same thing when I heard him say that. Poor choice of words. I understand what he meant, but what he said was not smart at all.

BamaNation All-American

Quote Originally Posted by B1GTide View Post
    To be fair, I thought the same thing when I heard him say that. Poor choice of words. I understand what he meant, but what he said was not smart at all.
    He's honestly not very good in most interviews I've seen of him. Definitely a skill he needs to work on if he wants to lead an NFL franchise one day.

BamaNation Hall of Fame BamaMoon's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by B1GTide View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by RollTide_HTTR View Post
    He's honestly not very good in most interviews I've seen of him. Definitely a skill he needs to work on if he wants to lead an NFL franchise one day.
    I agree he could have used better words, but he's trying to do what CNS says "don't waste a failure." I know it's easy for me to give him the benefit of the doubt.

BamaNation All-American

Quote Originally Posted by CajunCrimson View Post

Agree, Cajun!

Mack Brown played his starters without giving his backups enough reps and it bit him in the butt when Colt went down...

BamaNation Hall of Fame CajunCrimson's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by RollTide_HTTR View Post
    He's a young dude.....on a 10 point scale, as far as interviews go.....for his age, experience, etc -- he's a solid 9/10. Maybe you were hoping he's be more like this quarterback?

Last edited by CajunCrimson; July 18th, 2019 at 02:06 PM.
    Doc Holliday: [to Johnny Ringo, after shooting him in a duel] You're no daisy! You're no daisy at all. Poor soul, you were just too high strung