Link: ESPN Article: Tua "Learned many lessons from loss to Clemson".

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004
Where ever there's BBQ, Bourbon & Football
Last edited:

TideMan09

Hall of Fame
Jan 17, 2009
Anniston, Alabama
Exactly..It's human nature to feel invincinble when you run through all your opponents & then all of a sudden you play a team as good as you..And they punch you in the mouth from the get go..

JustNeedMe81

Hall of Fame
Sep 30, 2011
Huntsville, Al
Pretty decent read. IMO, Saban hit it on the head by saying Tua needs to improve his decision making. Also, per the article, blowing everyone out in the regular season and not being challenged seemed to impact the players when they were truly challenged. In other words, they weren't battled tested.

https://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/27208703/tua-learned-many-lessons-loss-clemson
Kinda hard to be battle tested when we were that good.... but there was a moment or two where I wished our starters would play into late 3rd quarters... and get some experience playing in 3rd and 4th quarter.

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004
Where ever there's BBQ, Bourbon & Football
Kinda hard to be battle tested when we were that good.... but there was a moment or two where I wished our starters would play into late 3rd quarters... and get some experience playing in 3rd and 4th quarter.
I agree, but even that is a double edged sword. Could you imagine the Tuscaloosa media/message board meltdowns that would have occurred if Saban would have continued to play starters into the late 3rd possibly early 4th quarter during games that were already a massive blowouts and major injuries would have happened?

I think that is why people say it takes a lot of "luck" to win a championship. Hard work must be put in, no doubt. But things out of your control have to fall your way as well and all it takes for all that hard work (things in your control) to be nullified, is for enough of those things that you have no control over to not go your way.

CajunCrimson

Moderator (FB,BB) and Vinyl Enthusiast
Staff member
Mar 13, 2001
Breaux Bridge, La
Playing into the 3rd or 4th quarters wouldn't have gotten them "battle tested" -- it would have caused blowouts by even bigger margins, and Saban would have been accused of rubbing it in.

The only thing I think he could have done is to start his second string guys -- and then let the 1st stringers come in the second quarter, etc. But that's a bad idea, and you build no continuity.....

It's going to be a different year this year! I guarantee you, it won't happen again. Something different could happen - but it won't be complacency that hits us this year

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
Glad that Tua is growing up. He has a bright future, but having a great arm is only part of the QB equation.

EnterBama

Scout Team
Oct 24, 2018
Playing into the 3rd or 4th quarters wouldn't have gotten them "battle tested" -- it would have caused blowouts by even bigger margins, and Saban would have been accused of rubbing it in.

The only thing I think he could have done is to start his second string guys -- and then let the 1st stringers come in the second quarter, etc. But that's a bad idea, and you build no continuity.....

It's going to be a different year this year! I guarantee you, it won't happen again. Something different could happen - but it won't be complacency that hits us this year
Coach Bryant actually did that a lot, especially on defense. When he had some of those great defenses in the 70's he would put the twos and threes in first. If the other team got around our 40 he'd put the one's in who usually drove them back 20 yards.

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
Saw some Barners on Twitter revelling in Tua saying he's glad we didn't win so he could learn this lesson.

Man, their hate for Bama is at an all-time high to hate on a guy simply trying to make lemonade out of lemons.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
Saw some Barners on Twitter revelling in Tua saying he's glad we didn't win so he could learn this lesson.

Man, their hate for Bama is at an all-time high to hate on a guy simply trying to make lemonade out of lemons.
To be fair, I thought the same thing when I heard him say that. Poor choice of words. I understand what he meant, but what he said was not smart at all.

RollTide_HTTR

Hall of Fame
Feb 22, 2017
To be fair, I thought the same thing when I heard him say that. Poor choice of words. I understand what he meant, but what he said was not smart at all.
He's honestly not very good in most interviews I've seen of him. Definitely a skill he needs to work on if he wants to lead an NFL franchise one day.

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
He's honestly not very good in most interviews I've seen of him. Definitely a skill he needs to work on if he wants to lead an NFL franchise one day.
I agree he could have used better words, but he's trying to do what CNS says "don't waste a failure." I know it's easy for me to give him the benefit of the doubt.

NoNC4Tubs

Hall of Fame
Nov 13, 2010

Agree, Cajun!

Mack Brown played his starters without giving his backups enough reps and it bit him in the butt when Colt went down... :cool2:

CajunCrimson

Moderator (FB,BB) and Vinyl Enthusiast
Staff member
Mar 13, 2001
Breaux Bridge, La
He's a young dude.....on a 10 point scale, as far as interviews go.....for his age, experience, etc -- he's a solid 9/10. Maybe you were hoping he's be more like this quarterback?

Last edited:

RollTide_HTTR

Hall of Fame
Feb 22, 2017
He's a young dude.....on a 10 point scale, as far as interviews go.....for his age, experience, etc -- he's a solid 9/10. Maybe you were hoping he's be more like this quarterback?

I didn't mean it as a major criticism or anything. Just an observation. He's fine in interviews I suppose but he's no Damien Harris, Jonah Williams, Jonathan Allen, etc. Which is what is typically expected of quarterbacks especially 1st rounders who are going to be the face of a franchise. Not all fit the bill but it seems to be what is expected of them.

CrimsonForce

Hall of Fame
Dec 20, 2012
The biggest thing that will help Tua is the fact he's lost 15 lbs and hopefully fully healthy. I think everyone, including Bama fans, forgot how nimble and elusive he was in the pocket during his freshman year and last year before he got injured halfway through the season. The last half of the season he did not have the same lateral agility which the better defenses were able to exploit. I think most will be surprised how nimble he'll look again this year..

Ole Man Dan

Hall of Fame
Apr 21, 2008
Gadsden, Al.
Exactly..It's human nature to feel invincinble when you run through all your opponents & then all of a sudden you play a team as good as you..And they punch you in the mouth from the get go..
I hope one of the things Tua learned was a couple of 6 yard passes beats getting sacked and taking a beating. A couple of 6 yard passes and we move the chains and get 4 more attempts. We move the chains and we control the clock.

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net
If we are going to make it to the playoffs this season, he will have to have learned many lessons.
C'mon, man - it's one thing to suggest the defense has to improve, but Tua is coming off a historic season (not just at Bama).

If Tua plays like he did last season and the D steps up, Bama wins going away.

BamaInCummingGA

1st Team
Jun 8, 2017
Cumming, Ga
I cannot disagree with what you said, except if the IF happens.
You can't live on the What IFs. Any kind of injury can happen at any time and cause a team to stumble. Coaches and teams who coach and play according to What IFs generally don't win championships.
Tua played well last season and I would disagree the he has A LOT to learn. I really believe that a teak here and a tweak there to refine a couple of things and if we get beat it will be ourselves that do it.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.