Question: How do you feel about the Running Backs this year?

editder

All-SEC
Nov 2, 2017
I don't think Alabama was well-served by D. Harris coming back last year. I like him a lot, and he was a well-spoken guy. Also, some have said that he was a leader, which probably had some intangible value that I concede I may not have been fully aware of.

But he kept better players off the field. We would be in better shape going into this year if Najee had gotten Jacobs' carries and B. Robinson had gotten Najee's carries last year.

CraigD

All-American
Aug 8, 2006
Columbus, GA
I don't think Alabama was well-served by D. Harris coming back last year. I like him a lot, and he was a well-spoken guy. Also, some have said that he was a leader, which probably had some intangible value that I concede I may not have been fully aware of.

But he kept better players off the field. We would be in better shape going into this year if Najee had gotten Jacobs' carries and B. Robinson had gotten Najee's carries last year.
Interesting thoughts. I don’t think I disagree at all, either.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

CrimSonami

All-American
Jul 17, 2011
Ardmore, AL; too close to 10erC

Interesting. But to a layman like me the offense didn't equally promote that style of play. Damien Harris was the servicable stabilizer of the group. Hopefully the offense will be more balanced from the get go this year and we won't struggle against good teams who have the horses on defense to challenge our passing game.

UAH

All-American
Nov 27, 2017
Interesting. But to a layman like me the offense didn't equally promote that style of play. Damien Harris was the servicable stabilizer of the group. Hopefully the offense will be more balanced from the get go this year and we won't struggle against good teams who have the horses on defense to challenge our passing game.
How do we think CNS would respond to a question of "would the team have been better off had Damien Harris not remained for his senior season."? He was after all one of the highest recruited backs in the nation out of high school and was drafted by the New England Patriots! Running backs do a lot more than run with the football and Damien was the best in those situations. Unfortunately the offensive scheme did not lend itself to an explosive run game and it showed up big time against equally talented opponents. It appears to me that is a coaching rather than player issue.

WMack4Bama

Administrator
Staff member
Nov 7, 2008
Tuscaloosa, AL

When he said he was coming back, I said at the time that he had nothing to gain by coming back in terms of draft positioning. Just one more year of punishment on his body without getting paid for it. And as you might imagine, I held my breath and thought of this very thing when he got KOed running up the sideline vs The Citadel. So while you're looking at it as the team not being well-served, I don't think HE was well served by coming back. It is what it is at this point though.

Relayer

Hall of Fame
Mar 25, 2001

You are saying that Najee and B. Robinson were the "better players" that were kept off the field and I just can't agree with that.

mlh

All-American
Apr 28, 2004
The OL is the critical factor. We have a stable of very talented backs. But the big uglies up front have to give them somewhere to run. If they do that, all of our backs will be hard to stop.

editder

All-SEC
Nov 2, 2017
You are saying that Najee and B. Robinson were the "better players" that were kept off the field and I just can't agree with that.
I was talking about Jacobs and Najee. Haven't seen enough of B. Robinson yet, but he looks like he has good potential from what I have seen.

TiderJack

Hall of Fame
Jul 9, 2010
Inverness, AL
When he said he was coming back, I said at the time that he had nothing to gain by coming back in terms of draft positioning. Just one more year of punishment on his body without getting paid for it. And as you might imagine, I held my breath and thought of this very thing when he got KOed running up the sideline vs The Citadel. So while you're looking at it as the team not being well-served, I don't think HE was well served by coming back. It is what it is at this point though.
Being team captain on one of the best teams of all time and enjoying college life is not a bad thing. It's not always about what was best in the long run and TBH he did not carry the ball much his entire career. I think he made the right decision in every facet.

CrimSonami

All-American
Jul 17, 2011
Ardmore, AL; too close to 10erC
Damien Harris was criminally underused during his time at Bama. He’s way better than people realize.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Yes and No IMO.

D Harris running style reminds a great deal of Mark Ingram but his services without the ball were just as valuable, if not more, than with the ball. That's why he was the captain. Not because he was flashy and set records.

Relayer

Hall of Fame
Mar 25, 2001
Being team captain on one of the best teams of all time and enjoying college life is not a bad thing. It's not always about what was best in the long run and TBH he did not carry the ball much his entire career. I think he made the right decision in every facet.
Agree. Damien was such a fine young man and one of the best player representatives Bama has had in a long time. He obviously loved playing here and I think both he and the team were well-served by his return last season. He should have plenty of opportunity to make money going forward.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.