2021 Prospect: 4* QB Drake Maye Commits to North Carolina

BirminghamBAMA

1st Team
Dec 29, 2013
I think Bama will keep him, even with Bryce Young committing.........…...maybe others can offer some insight, but he is a competitor
He will be back in Tuscaloosa this weekend, and has been a frequent visitor. Yes, 2021 is a long ways away in the recruiting world, but he has been solid so far. Also, a recruiting source of mine ran into him a few weeks ago, and Drake mentioned that he believes you only need one or two years to be a successful starter at Bama to be a high draft pick. He believes with himself and Bryce Young in the fold....that they will attract some of Saban's top classes.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
"For now" makes sense. If Young wins the starting job next year and plays lights out then Maye will not sign with Alabama. Next year will decide the issue, and Maye understands that. He wants to play at Alabama, not be the backup.

CrimsonEyeshade

Hall of Fame
Nov 6, 2007
Agreed. Word up here in North Carolina is that his parents were more upset by Young’s commitment than their son. Others schools from the SEC and ACC are continuing to
recruit him, however.

I’m with BIG: Bryce’s level of success upon arrival will have a big impact on Maye’s final choice.

"For now" makes sense. If Young wins the starting job next year and plays lights out then Maye will not sign with Alabama. Next year will decide the issue, and Maye understands that. He wants to play at Alabama, not be the backup.

Last edited:

Evil Crimson Dragon

Hall of Fame
Feb 4, 2018
Marietta, GA
Agreed. Word up here in North Carolina is that his parents were more upset by Young’s commitment than their son. Others schools from the SEC and ACC are continuing to
recruit him, however.

I’m with BIG: Bryce’s level of success upon arrival will be pivotal on Maye’s final choice.
Hopefully Bama can keep him...………........I sure would, but if they are gonna lose one, I'm not sure I could choose......……..both are excellent QBs

As to Bryce winning the starting job, it will be interesting to see how he does against Taulia, Paul Tyson and Mac......…..........we shall see

Last edited:

Saban4Ever

All-American
Sep 27, 2016
Cobb County GA
I hope Bama can keep both Bryce Young and Drake Maye but it will be interesting to see what happens.

If a miracle happens and Tua stays another year, I see some transfers and maybe Drake Maye not signing with Bama.

I like Mac Jones as a person but don't think he is the answer after Tua.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
This is why it's hard to get excited about guys committing any time before the spring of their junior year.

TiderJack

Hall of Fame
Jul 9, 2010
Inverness, AL
This is why it's hard to get excited about guys committing any time before the spring of their junior year.
Agreed. And then once you get them actually signed if they don't win the starting job they transfer. The new age QB is a different breed and that is why you have to try to recruit and sign a highly rated QB every class due to certain attrition.

Ledsteplin

Hall of Fame
Nov 20, 2013
Florence, Alabama
I hope Bama can keep both Bryce Young and Drake Maye but it will be interesting to see what happens.

If a miracle happens and Tua stays another year, I see some transfers and maybe Drake Maye not signing with Bama.

I don't think any of them are the answer to Tua. How often have you seen Mac play with the first team offense? Mac is a good quarterback, who's been stuck behind the likes of Heisman hopefuls Tua and Jalen.

NoNC4Tubs

Hall of Fame
Nov 13, 2010

Even if Tua stayed an extra year, he would still be gone before Drake ever got here...

AlexanderFan

Hall of Fame
Jul 23, 2004
Birmingham
I don't think any of them are the answer to Tua. How often have you seen Mac play with the first team offense? Mac is a good quarterback, who's been stuck behind the likes of Heisman hopefuls Tua and Jalen.
Right. I think you sign a solid guy who’s a definite team player every year to be your emergency guy in case your diva you sign every other year bails or doesn’t pan out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Padreruf

Hall of Fame
Feb 12, 2001
Charleston, South Carolina
I hope he comes...but I really feel for whomever is the starter post-Tua. Talk about a tough legacy to follow!!! He can be better than most and still fall far short of what people expect. Whoever it is needs to be as mentally tough as he is physically gifted....

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.