2021 Prospect: 4* QB Drake Maye Commits to North Carolina

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
First, I keep seing "if Tua stays another year" and I think why??? Why would he turn down being a high first round pick (maybe #1)??? He's not coming back, y'all.

The other "observation" is I think EVERYTHING has changed in CNS's mind regarding the recruiting of QBs. He made a huge jump going with Jalen and now that he's seen what a "gifted" passing QB can do surrounded by Bama talent (think 4 first-round receivers) on the field at the same time and we are not going back to guys like GMac and AJ.

The future is we are going to be an elite offensive team and "good enough" on defense to win NCs. This is what I truly believe we'll see the final few years of CNS at Bama. No, Bryce Young will not be Tua, but he's also not GMac or AJ either and he's more like the former than the latter.

CrimsonEyeshade

Hall of Fame
Nov 6, 2007
UNC is unlikely with a freshman starter returning. Clemson already has their guy in this year’s incoming class. Word up here is that his parents were more bothered about the Young signing than the kid is. So we’ll see.

BAMAVILLE

Moderator (FB,BB,REC)
Staff member
Jan 9, 2014
UNC is unlikely with a freshman starter returning. Clemson already has their guy in this year’s incoming class. Word up here is that his parents were more bothered about the Young signing than the kid is. So we’ll see.
He was alluding to his decision may change if Tua comes back. Hoping he sticks with the Tide regardless

gymcoach

1st Team
Dec 6, 2006
That is puzzling.

I could see second guessing with Young coming in this year. But Tua coming back shouldn’t affect him. Maye is a 2021 prospect. Even if Tua comes back, he is out the door after next season.
My guess is he is looking at the fact that if Tua were to come back then Bryce might redshirt. Bryce would be a redshirt freshman and he would be a true freshman. At best there would only be one year between the two. If Bryce were to start or back up next year and most likely not redshirt, assuming he beat Lia out for the back up roll, then he could come in and redshirt putting two years between he and Bryce. Thus either possibly starting his Redshirt sophomore year or redshirt junior year depending on if Bryce turned pro as a junior. Realistically though Bryce could turn pro after his redshirt sophomore year. Just my assumption on his thoughts.

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
My guess is he is looking at the fact that if Tua were to come back then Bryce might redshirt. Bryce would be a redshirt freshman and he would be a true freshman. At best there would only be one year between the two. If Bryce were to start or back up next year and most likely not redshirt, assuming he beat Lia out for the back up roll, then he could come in and redshirt putting two years between he and Bryce. Thus either possibly starting his Redshirt sophomore year or redshirt junior year depending on if Bryce turned pro as a junior. Realistically though Bryce could turn pro after his redshirt sophomore year. Just my assumption on his thoughts.
Yes...this would have been the one negative to Tua coming back...but now it shouldn't be a problem. It would be nice is Bryce is what we think he could be to have Maye redshirt and put another/extra year of eligibility between the two.

If he's half the basketball player his brother was Oats better start whispering in his ear lol
Have we ever had a two way player in basketball and football??? I don't recall one in the last 40 years and that's about as far back as I can go with B-ball.

Padreruf

Hall of Fame
Feb 12, 2001
Charleston, South Carolina
I can remember several in baseball and football...or baseball and basketball...but none in football and basketball...may have been a couple in the 1960's when we used the BBall team to stock football players.

jambama1

All-American
Aug 1, 2005
Tuscaloosa
I agree...I can see him going to UNC, especially if they have sucess
the only thing that makes me believe he sticks is Young wouldn't take over until August (Saban will have a QB battle just like previous years) so most of the Qbs will be committed. Maye if he is having second thoughts will come in spring

Dnelly_7RTR

Scout Team
Dec 9, 2019
I hope he has that Mac jones mentality just come in and compete. But the QB position is always drama filled.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.