2021 Prospect: 4* QB Drake Maye Commits to North Carolina

JustNeedMe81

Hall of Fame
Sep 30, 2011
Huntsville, Al
It is amazing that I see Saban in suits and tie when he is recruiting and I never see assistant coaches dressing up, especially when they are with Coach. Interesting isn't it?

I don't expect Maye to be part of the class... Kid is good but we'll be fine whatever happens.

TiderJack

Hall of Fame
Jul 9, 2010
Inverness, AL
It is amazing that I see Saban in suits and tie when he is recruiting and I never see assistant coaches dressing up, especially when they are with Coach. Interesting isn't it?

I don't expect Maye to be part of the class... Kid is good but we'll be fine whatever happens.
Yep, if Bryce Young is who we think he is he will probably back out. Would love to have him but this is the way QB recruits think now.

CrimsonEyeshade

Hall of Fame
Nov 6, 2007
Maye has said he wants to compete against the best. If he redshirts, he would be Young's backup for one year -- if Bryce turns out to be a three-year player.

That said, the Tar Heel folks up here are still hoping to flip him, and let him play two sports.

Yep, if Bryce Young is who we think he is he will probably back out. Would love to have him but this is the way QB recruits think now.

CB4

Hall of Fame
Aug 8, 2011
Birmingham, AL
I heard Tom Luginbill say recently that teams need to sign the best available quarterback they can sign each year, and in some cases two quarterbacks (depending on depth). With the transfer portal and the NCAA passing out waivers like coupons, there is little incentive for players to stay and compete. Let them compete for the job each and every year and let the “chips fall where they may”, especially at quarterback.

If one or more gets upset because they aren’t the starter and want to seek opportunities elsewhere, so be it. Let them go.

Reactions: TiderJack

TiderJack

Hall of Fame
Jul 9, 2010
Inverness, AL
I heard Tom Luginbill say recently that teams need to sign the best available quarterback they can sign each year, and in some cases two quarterbacks (depending on depth). With the transfer portal and the NCAA passing out waivers like coupons, there is little incentive for players to stay and compete. Let them compete for the job each and every year and let the “chips fall where they may”, especially at quarterback.

If one or more gets upset because they aren’t the starter and want to seek opportunities elsewhere, so be it. Let them go.
Agreed. Hopefully we get Maye on campus to compete for the job and like you say let the chips fall where they may.

Ole Man Dan

Hall of Fame
Apr 21, 2008
Gadsden, Al.
Yes...this would have been the one negative to Tua coming back...but now it shouldn't be a problem. It would be nice is Bryce is what we think he could be to have Maye redshirt and put another/extra year of eligibility between the two.

Have we ever had a two way player in basketball and football??? I don't recall one in the last 40 years and that's about as far back as I can go with B-ball.
I haven't been a basketball guy, since Wimp left.
It's nice when we win, but as a football guy, we better win.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
Young, when it looked like Tua might stay, was still excited about the competition.

Maye - not as excited about competing.

Good luck at UNC. :rolleyes:

RollTide_HTTR

Hall of Fame
Feb 22, 2017
I'm not even a little upset. He might be good but his height was worrying especially since people think he might still grow a good bit

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.