Goodman: Alabama football needs hard slap in the face

RTR2u

Hall of Fame
Nov 30, 2013
Georgia
Who knows? Maybe CNS will change something about the coaching situation for them to stay longer much like Dabo has. Y'all know how he adapts to everything that comes along.

4Q Basket Case

FB|BB Moderator
Staff member
Nov 8, 2004
Tuscaloosa
See, this is why I am more trusting of Coach Saban than these writers. They need to be careful, but that’s not gonna happen.

Sent from my iPhone Xs Max using Tapatalk Pro
I would trust a used car salesman running for political office more than I trust what once passed for journalists.

These guys are clickbait trolls (I could think of a number of more appropriate descriptors that we'd get me banned) with the egos of divas and the morals / ethics of alleycats.

I've never dealt with a meth dealer, but I think I might trust one more than today's heirs to Edward R. Murrow and Walter Cronkite.

I know...I know...I shouldn't talk about alleycats and meth dealers that way.

bamaga

Hall of Fame
Apr 29, 2002
JAWJA
Waaaaaaay to much attention has been given to this line of thinking, just clickbait. Seems like the CFB world is tired of the old bully, and getting in a few jabs while they can! Anyone that knows anything about football knows why the game turned like it did!

I can’t wait until the season begins

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
Forget his horrible attempt at attention seeking. Let’s talk about the horrible grammar by a paid journalist.

And yes, I know some of you feel the media is horrible because it killed your dog, but that’s beside the point hurt.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
https://www.al.com/alabamafootball/2019/07/alabama-football-needs-a-cold-hard-slap-in-the-face.html

Bring it on media. I love this stuff. Can't get enough. I'm fired up and ready to go ... right now !

(my 48 yr old worn out knees might keep me from moving fast, but I'm fired up and ready!)

I just hope our players are understanding of what everyone is saying about them and respond to the manhood challenges ... or, if we are to believe the typical coach-speak nonsense that the team isn't paying attention to media, that CNS or Scott Cochran are distilling it down for them :D
His attempt to make it seem that Saban was throwing the players under the bus is despicable. Saban never said anything about the players being selfish. That was Goodman. I happened to catch Saban's interview on Finebaum's show immediately after he was on. Saban said something about each person being concerned with his own future and Finebaum immediately jumped on assuming he was speaking of the players. Saban said "no, the coaches." One thing I've observed over the years and that is that the players will mirror the coaches' attitudes. The worst was during the Dubose years, when coaches were wandering around with cellphones plastered to their ears, rather than coaching. IOW, if the coaches check out, then some of the players will also...

bvandegraff

All-American
Mar 13, 2014
Albuquerque, NM
I said this on a different board as well, but Goodman holds the Kevin Scarbinsky Memorial Chair in Hot Take Bama Trolling, and as such deserves no attention whatsoever. At least KS could construct a sentence in the English language. JG's only goal is to raise the ire of Bama fans, because most of the major sports media find that a quick way to rack up indignant clicks. I recall his one and only appearance on Finebaum in which PF exposed him as a fraud in about 90 seconds. Do what I do and ignore his columns - just not worth reading.

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
Forget his horrible attempt at attention seeking. Let’s talk about the horrible grammar by a paid journalist.

And yes, I know some of you feel the media is horrible because it killed your dog, but that’s beside the point hurt.

No, the media is horrible because they're horrible.

There is today literally no such thing as press objectivity on any subject anywhere.
And it's nothing new.

Press: OJ's lawyers are "the Dream Team", the best defense team money can buy
Reality: subtract F Lee Bailey from that team and they'd lost about 80% of their cases (Shapiro's specialty was plea bargaining).

Press: 1995 Nebraska is the greatest college football team of all-time
Reality: They weren't even the best Nebraska team of all-time or of the 1990s.

Neither of the above statements are expressed as matters of opinion and both have contrary evidence easily available to the open mind. (The latter IS an opinion, but rarely ever is it framed as such).

TideEngineer08

TideFans Legend
Jun 9, 2009
Beautiful Cullman, AL
I was under the impression we got the hard slap in the face back in January.

If journalists are lower than meth dealers, then sports journalists are lower still.

***Obvious exceptions are people like Cecil Hurt and JessN.

BamaInCummingGA

1st Team
Jun 8, 2017
Cumming, Ga
I agree that sometimes you need a kick in the butt whether or not that means a loss or a "bad" win or whatever to revitalize you as a group of players/staff.
Myself, I am enjoying all the Clemson hype. For that matter hype ANYONE but US. There is very little else that will galvanize a team/staff like being disrespected like this. People will say this is a different team as we have lost players from last season and something like this won't affect this team. Well, I would disagree as there are plenty of players who were on the team (starters) last season having to lick their wounds from that butt kicking. This motivates upperclassmen to be leaders and removes any possible remnant of any sense of entitlement that may have existed in the team last year.
Let them talk. Matter of fact encourage all of it you can...………..

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
Clemson deserves all the attention they’re getting. What Dabo steadily built up there is something that deserves respect. We haven’t taken a beating that bad since Nick Saban’s 2003 LSU team practically shut us out at home.

UAH

All-American
Nov 27, 2017
Clemson deserves all the attention they’re getting. What Dabo steadily built up there is something that deserves respect. We haven’t taken a beating that bad since Nick Saban’s 2003 LSU team practically shut us out at home.
I don't disagree with you and believe that several of these coaches/teams... Clemson, Oklahoma, Georgia, LSU, Florida will be difficult competition for Bama during CNS final seasons. I do believe however that Clemson is so advantaged playing in the ACC compared to being required to play through an SEC season and advance to the playoffs through the SEC championship game.

Con

Hall of Fame
Dec 19, 2006
Northern Hemisphere
I don't disagree with you and believe that several of these coaches/teams... Clemson, Oklahoma, Georgia, LSU, Florida will be difficult competition for Bama during CNS final seasons. I do believe however that Clemson is so advantaged playing in the ACC compared to being required to play through an SEC season and advance to the playoffs through the SEC championship game.
You know I was watching the 2010 championship game vs. Texas last night and I started thinking about when was the last time we played a championship game when we were totally healthy? Maybe the Notre Dame game? Look how well we played in that one vs. the others.

Our games may have been blow outs last year by the wear and tear on the bodies of the sec grind seems to get us by seasons end.

Tider6972

BamaNation Citizen
Sep 21, 2000
Montgomery, Al USA
I was thinking they might stay within 3 scores. After all these articles, Duke might get a beat down of epic proportions.
ha.
I hope no one else thinks like that.

Taking a total a$$ whipping, TOTAL DOMINATION by a national power, a team that has Proven to be the only team on Bama's level, out on a hapless Duke? ...would only prove us chickens.

We were whipped: from the start of game preparations (Ha! didn't look like we did any prep! ) to the end of that thorough whipping, we were Dominated.

Saban knew it, knew why, and made swift and thorough changes: coaching staff? Gone ... as well as player adjustments, some of them gone, some he hopes to salvage on a short leash.

I have confidence that under CNS we will not let those mistakes happen again.

Ever.

Last edited:

bamacon

Hall of Fame
Apr 11, 2008
College Football's Mecca, Tuscaloosa
I remember the threads early on in the year and preseason about the weaknesses of the team last year. So many posters here know football and it was said over and over how perilous success of a championship caliber could be last year. I didn’t think Bama would win the SEC much less another NCG. I think after what they lost in the draft and the injuries to Diggs and JAD that it was way too much to overcome. I’d say they exceeded expectations by a ton. The coaching staff was also a big question mark and we saw how bad position coaching could rear its ugly head. Clemson was a better team last year in every way. Their team was just like when Jonathan Allen and company decided to play their senior season. Imagine if Bama’s draft players had all come back!

I think this season Bama has a MUCH better chance of getting through the Playoff and being in a much more capable team to challenge Clemson. Clemson is the team to beat. Also, I’d still rather play them on the first playoff game.

Articles like this are written by Coach make no mistake. He’s baiting the writers to give him this ammunition for the year. I love it! It’s brilliant!

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
I'm not going to go back and look up the URLs, but Clemson outperformed their norms in many ways and we underperformed ours. The game was really closer than the stats or much perception. Saban and Dabo are both aware of that. Here's one I had handy:

Footballoutsiders

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.