Jackie Sherrill Accepts Settlement Against NCAA - Rich Johanningmeier had a bad day

Jackie Sherrill Accepts Settlement Against NCAA - Rich Johanningmeier had a bad day

So, our old buddy Rich Johanningmeier must have had a really bad day in court Tuesday and Wednesday. Darn.

https://247sports.com/college/missis...26Q1hqfw5Y7sV4

BamaNation All-American

Re: Jackie Sherrill Accepts Settlement Against NCAA - Rich Johanningmeier had a bad d

Couldn’t happen to a nicer guy.......

BamaNation Second Team Tider6972's Avatar

Re: Jackie Sherrill Accepts Settlement Against NCAA - Rich Johanningmeier had a bad d

Quote Originally Posted by dayhiker View Post
    So, our old buddy Rich Johanningmeier must have had a really bad day in court Tuesday and Wednesday. Darn.

Great news; I am happy for Jackie, and pleased that he's "been vindicated".
    The NCAA proves, once again, to be incompetent in many of their endeavors.

I know Jackie is ready to put it behind him, 18 years of that kind of pressure is incomprehensible !

Rich Johanningmeier is a French shower bag and I'm so happy that even in retirement he continues to get embarrassed for both his lack of ethics and intelligence...
    Oderint dum metuant - Lucius Accius

BamaNation All-SEC

Rich was a loose cannon that damaged a lot of programs unjustly, and in the end inflicted serious and irreversible damage to his employer. Unfortunately, he personally has walked away from all of this undamaged except for his reputation. But what does a person like Rich care about reputation when he is still collecting his pension?

FB|BB Moderator

I see where the terms of the settlement are sealed, which isn’t at all unusual.

But for our legal eagles on the board: What about the transcript of testimony up to the point of settlement? Is that public record?

I’d love to read a blow-by-blow account of Johanneigmeier’s “devastating” day, as it happened in real time.
    You can't reason a man out of a position he didn't reason himself into.

BamaNation All-American

He richly deserves it...

BamaNation First Team Titans&Tide's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by 4Q Basket Case View Post
    I see where the terms of the settlement are sealed, which isn’t at all unusual.

But for our legal eagles on the board: What about the transcript of testimony up to the point of settlement? Is that public record?

I’d love to read a blow-by-blow account of Johanneigmeier’s “devastating” day, as it happened in real time.
    Looking in the comments for the linked article, there are some folks who were in the gallery during the proceedings that will be doing FOIA requests to get the transcripts released. Our odds of reading them seem to be pretty good.

It had to be a really bad look for NCAA to suddenly decide to settle after hearing what Johanningmeier had to say in his testimony, followed by what Jackie's rebuttal witnesses said in theirs...

BamaNation Hall of Fame selmaborntidefan's Avatar

Rich Jackhammer can be a jerk while Jackie Sherrill can still be a crooked coach at the same time. (This part seems to be lost on folks, esp in MS).

ATM was put on probation for violations during Sherrill's tenure as coach. In fact, the announcement was made the week before the infamous Hurricane Gilbert game. They were found guilty of 16 violations, including the dreaded LOIC. Jackie knowingly played Kevin Murray, a pretty good QB, despite knowing about his "substantial extra benefits."

Two months after the announcement, a former RB said he'd been paid hush money by Sherrill to keep quiet about the violations. Then, he retracted his claims and said it was a loan. The NCAA never bothered to find out (amazing, isn't it?).

So a guy is at a school for 7 years and gets them put on probation....leaves in the wake of said probation......goes to another school and after starting off pretty good and sinking all of a sudden fields some of the best teams in MSU history......and then gets hit with sanctions. But he had nothing to do with them? Hell, the only common thread in the violations is Jackie Sherrill himself.

Once you're at TWO SCHOOLS where violations occurred under YOUR OWN WATCH, let's not pretend Sherrill is some wronged innocent discovering sin in the church basement. He was either driving without touching the wheel or he was involved with it - and it doesn't matter how deep.

Incidentally, his excuse at ATM was he was "never directly linked" to the allegations. That's like saying Judas Iscariot was "never directly linked" to the crucifixion.

Jackhammer was a jerk and fine for Jackie. But the idea that Jackhammer ruined the reputation of a guy who left two schools in the wake of NCAA violations is laughably absurd. It's like saying Louis Freeh ruined Joe Paterno's reputation with his report.
    My New Year's resolution for 2019 is this year I'm not going to drink anymore. I'm not going to drink any less, either.

I was married for 25 years, but if I'd killed her on the honeymoon, I'd have been out in less than 20.

Butch Jones has richly earned his title, The Archbishop of Talentbury

After reading all the horrible things drinking will do to you....I gave up reading.

BamaNation First Team

The real issue is with Johanningmeier and his willingness to "work with" specific schools to use his weapons against other schools---- UT/Bama ring a bell? Same thing here. From 1925 until Jackie showed up Ole miss led the series 53-21-6. Since 1992, State leads 14-10 with two more Ole Miss wins vacated because of probation (and another probation trip for MSU tied directly to Ole Miss intervention). Agreed---Jackie was probably as dirty as anyone else and already had his reputation before he landed in Starkville. But the fact that Johanningmeier, as an NCAA investigator, denied knowing a female Ole Miss booster who supposedly was giving him information about violations ----and Sherrill promptly produced pictures of the two together on more than one occasion at Jackson, MS area hotels kinda sealed that deal. By the way, Ole Miss grad Bob Tyler was the one that got the real rivalry going when he went to State in the early 70's and kinda turned them around and began using Vaught's methods. Late 70s early 80s in Mississippi were like the late 80s early 90s in Alabama.

Quote Originally Posted by selmaborntidefan View Post
    Rich Jackhammer can be a jerk while Jackie Sherrill can still be a crooked coach at the same time. (This part seems to be lost on folks, esp in MS).

ATM was put on probation for violations during Sherrill's tenure as coach. In fact, the announcement was made the week before the infamous Hurricane Gilbert game. They were found guilty of 16 violations, including the dreaded LOIC. Jackie knowingly played Kevin Murray, a pretty good QB, despite knowing about his "substantial extra benefits."

Two months after the announcement, a former RB said he'd been paid hush money by Sherrill to keep quiet about the violations. Then, he retracted his claims and said it was a loan. The NCAA never bothered to find out (amazing, isn't it?).

So a guy is at a school for 7 years and gets them put on probation....leaves in the wake of said probation......goes to another school and after starting off pretty good and sinking all of a sudden fields some of the best teams in MSU history......and then gets hit with sanctions. But he had nothing to do with them? Hell, the only common thread in the violations is Jackie Sherrill himself.

Once you're at TWO SCHOOLS where violations occurred under YOUR OWN WATCH, let's not pretend Sherrill is some wronged innocent discovering sin in the church basement. He was either driving without touching the wheel or he was involved with it - and it doesn't matter how deep.

Incidentally, his excuse at ATM was he was "never directly linked" to the allegations. That's like saying Judas Iscariot was "never directly linked" to the crucifixion.

Jackhammer was a jerk and fine for Jackie. But the idea that Jackhammer ruined the reputation of a guy who left two schools in the wake of NCAA violations is laughably absurd. It's like saying Louis Freeh ruined Joe Paterno's reputation with his report.
    I haven't seen anyone here say boo about Sherrill. The point of the thread was our old buddy Rich.

BamaNation Second Team Tider6972's Avatar

I ave a hard time with 'guilt by implication, I prefer 'beyond a reasonable doubt ... just me I suppose.
    Last edited by Tider6972; July 19th, 2019 at 05:04 PM.

BamaNation Hall of Fame

That settlement was long over due.