Apollo Astronauts - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Re: Apollo Astronauts

Anybody else think that Rusty Schweickart looks a little like Clint Eastwood sitting there?

They shot another rocket off tonight. Whole house shook including windows. LOUD sonic boom too!

Because of overcast weather - I couldn't see it from my front yard.
    ---------------

At 6:01 p.m. EDT, or 22:01 UTC, on Thursday, July 25, SpaceX launched its eighteenth Commercial Resupply Services mission (CRS-18) from Space Launch Complex 40 (SLC-40) at Cape Canaveral Air Force Station, Florida. Dragon separated from Falcon 9s second stage about nine minutes after liftoff. The Dragon spacecraft supporting the CRS-18 mission previously supported the CRS-6 mission in April 2015 and the CRS-13 mission in December 2017. Following stage separation, SpaceX recovered Falcon 9s first stage on Landing Zone 1 (LZ-1) at Cape Canaveral Air Force Station, Florida.
    -----------

(the action starts at about the 15 minute mark in the video below)

"Old dog - new tricks"

I won't physically attack someone over their political views, but I'll punch someone denying the Apollo missions. Buzz is my hero.
    Oderint dum metuant - Lucius Accius

BamaNation Hall of Fame Tidewater's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by crimsonaudio View Post
    I won't physically attack someone over their political views, but I'll punch someone denying the Apollo missions. Buzz is my hero.
    I don't know if it went to trial, but if I was on the jury, my decision would be, "What's the problem?"

For those interested, I highly recommend a podcast titled "Apollo 11: What We Saw" - it's sublime.

https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcas...w/id1471188269

Quote Originally Posted by Bazza View Post
    They shot another rocket off tonight. Whole house shook including windows. LOUD sonic boom too!

---------------

At 6:01 p.m. EDT, or 22:01 UTC, on Thursday, July 25, SpaceX launched its eighteenth Commercial Resupply Services mission (CRS-18) from Space Launch Complex 40 (SLC-40) at Cape Canaveral Air Force Station, Florida. Dragon separated from Falcon 9’s second stage about nine minutes after liftoff. The Dragon spacecraft supporting the CRS-18 mission previously supported the CRS-6 mission in April 2015 and the CRS-13 mission in December 2017. Following stage separation, SpaceX recovered Falcon 9’s first stage on Landing Zone 1 (LZ-1) at Cape Canaveral Air Force Station, Florida.
    -----------

I think it caught up and docked yesterday. I read an interesting article translated from the Russian recently. Basically, what it said was that the Kremlin had dropped the ball and the rise of private space exploration in the US had doomed the Russians, who'd chosen to stick with the Soyuz capsule, which hasn't been materially changed since the '60s. I didn't really realize it, but the Russian government has been making a killing off space tourists and supplying the ISS. Now, the Soyuz will end up only ferrying up Russian cosmonauts...
    "The cure for boredom is curiosity. There is no cure for curiosity. - Ellen Parr"

'If today were the last day of my life, would I want to do what I am about to do today?' - Steve Jobs

I would rather live my life as if there is a god and die to find out there isn't, than live my life as if there isn't and die to find out there is. Albert Camus

"When Fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross." - Sinclair Lewis

Quote Originally Posted by Bazza View Post

---------------

At 6:01 p.m. EDT, or 22:01 UTC, on Thursday, July 25, SpaceX launched its eighteenth Commercial Resupply Services mission (CRS-18) from Space Launch Complex 40 (SLC-40) at Cape Canaveral Air Force Station, Florida. Dragon separated from Falcon 9’s second stage about nine minutes after liftoff. The Dragon spacecraft supporting the CRS-18 mission previously supported the CRS-6 mission in April 2015 and the CRS-13 mission in December 2017. Following stage separation, SpaceX recovered Falcon 9’s first stage on Landing Zone 1 (LZ-1) at Cape Canaveral Air Force Station, Florida.
    -----------

I don't know why, but the returning of the stage 1 rocket is amazing to me. The engineers who designed and built that thing must be amazing.
    Economically, it makes sense. If an airline used planes once and then threw them away, air travel would be really expensive, so reusing a rocket makes sense. Technically, though, this seems enormously difficult to me.

The Russian space program is also reeling from the planned US-built replacement of the RD180, which is the primary motor for the Atlas launch system. With no more sales to ULA at ~$25 million each, they're feeling the pinch.

The privatization of the US space industry will crush the Russian space industry. I'm torn on this, as they've done some really interesting things over the years - smart rocket scientists. But it couldn't happen to a nicer country...

Quote Originally Posted by Tidewater View Post
    Economically, it makes sense. If an airline used planes once and then threw them away, air travel would be really expensive, so reusing a rocket makes sense. Technically, though, this seems enormously difficult to me.
    Yup - Falcon 9 is already the least expensive lift system - by far - at $4,000/kg to LEO. The next closest is the Atlas V 500 which costs $10,000/kg to LEO.

Elon says the ultimate goal for SpaceX is to hit the $500/lb ($1,100/kg) mark.

Quote Originally Posted by crimsonaudio View Post
    Yup - Falcon 9 is already the least expensive lift system - by far - at $4,000/kg to LEO. The next closest is the Atlas V 500 which costs $10,000/kg to LEO.

Elon says the ultimate goal for SpaceX is to hit the $500/lb ($1,100/kg) mark.
    I just watched a Nova episode on PBS about the Age of the Rockets, about privatization of the space industry. Some very creative scientists out there. (Space-X, Blue Origin, Virgin). Gonna be interesting.

Quote Originally Posted by Tidewater View Post
    I just watched a Nova episode on PBS about the Age of the Rockets, about privatization of the space industry. Some very creative scientists out there. (Space-X, Blue Origin, Virgin). Gonna be interesting.
    Some of the finest documentaries I've ever watched were by NOVA.

Agree on the booster landings.....just incredible. Heck, I keep expecting them to topple over when they land....but they don't.....
    "Old dog - new tricks"