Apollo Astronauts

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net
The Russian space program is also reeling from the planned US-built replacement of the RD180, which is the primary motor for the Atlas launch system. With no more sales to ULA at ~$25 million each, they're feeling the pinch.

The privatization of the US space industry will crush the Russian space industry. I'm torn on this, as they've done some really interesting things over the years - smart rocket scientists. But it couldn't happen to a nicer country...

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net
Economically, it makes sense. If an airline used planes once and then threw them away, air travel would be really expensive, so reusing a rocket makes sense. Technically, though, this seems enormously difficult to me.
Yup - Falcon 9 is already the least expensive lift system - by far - at $4,000/kg to LEO. The next closest is the Atlas V 500 which costs $10,000/kg to LEO.

Elon says the ultimate goal for SpaceX is to hit the $500/lb ($1,100/kg) mark.

Tidewater

Hall of Fame
Mar 15, 2003
Hooterville, Vir.
Yup - Falcon 9 is already the least expensive lift system - by far - at $4,000/kg to LEO. The next closest is the Atlas V 500 which costs $10,000/kg to LEO.

Elon says the ultimate goal for SpaceX is to hit the $500/lb ($1,100/kg) mark.
I just watched a Nova episode on PBS about the Age of the Rockets, about privatization of the space industry. Some very creative scientists out there. (Space-X, Blue Origin, Virgin). Gonna be interesting.

Bazza

TideFans Legend
Oct 1, 2011
New Smyrna Beach, Florida
I just watched a Nova episode on PBS about the Age of the Rockets, about privatization of the space industry. Some very creative scientists out there. (Space-X, Blue Origin, Virgin). Gonna be interesting.
Some of the finest documentaries I've ever watched were by NOVA.

Agree on the booster landings.....just incredible. Heck, I keep expecting them to topple over when they land....but they don't.....

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.