Alabama: Latest Bama News 7/22/2019 Thru 4728/2019

kyallie

FB Moderator
Staff member

The Big Ten wants to expand the College Football Playoff. Will it ever happen?

[FONT=&quot]The Big Ten has been left out of the past two College Football Playoffs. Additionally, the conference hasn't scored a single point since Ohio State won the first-ever Playoff following the 2014 season.

Needless to say, outgoing commissioner Jim Delany and some of the coaches from the conference are tired of being left on the outside looking in. At Big Ten Media Days last week, CFP expansion was a big topic of discussion:[/FONT]

• Delaney set the tone for the rest of the conference. He said he wishes the Playoff Committee was more stable with its membership. "I just wish we had a little more continuity," he said. "I wish they would demonstrate as well as state a stronger commitment to strength of schedule. I love (Big 12 Commissioner) Bob (Bowlsby)'s idea (for 10 Power 5 games per season). If he were the czar, I'd vote for him, but you don't vote for czars. Czars are just czars. But I totally support the idea that we should be playing comparable schedules, and if we're not playing comparable schedules, there should be some way to differentiate that, but we haven't had our way on that one."
  • The B1G commish also said expansion has made the feeling of exclusion grow for teams left out of the field. "It's ironic we've doubled the access but I think more than doubled the feeling of exclusion when you're not in," he said. "But we try not to let that define us. If there's an 8-team Playoff, we probably would have had eight or nine teams in it over the last five years. So we're built to compete for championships, and I think there will continue to be discussions around the expansion."
  • Penn State's James Franklin has a unique perspective. Having coached at Vanderbilt and Penn State, he said at Media Days: "I've been a head coach in the SEC. I've been a head coach in the Big Ten. And I love our conference. I think we do it the right way, both on and off the field. We compete at a very high level. But I think obviously when you're left out of the playoffs for two years in a row, I think there needs to be discussions, and there's discussions that are going on, and I think we've got to look at it all."
[FONT=&quot]So, how realistic is an expansion to eight teams? Yahoo Sports reporter Pete Thamel wrote a column discussing some big issues facing college football: [/FONT]

• Don't count on it happening any time soon, Thamel writes. About expansion, he said: "Conversations with multiple sources around the sport indicated that it would be impossible logistically for the playoff to be expanded in the next two years. The sources indicated the earliest that significant change could occur in terms of adding teams to the playoff would be for the 2021 season."
[FONT=&quot]It doesn't sound like a pressing issue for many Power 5 commissioners, but as long as the Big Ten is unhappy, it'll continue to be a topic of discussion, it seems.[/FONT]

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.