Cop fired for saying AOC should be shot.
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    BamaNation Hall of Fame Crimson1967's Avatar

https://www.cbsnews.com/amp/news/cha...ocasio-cortez/

A cop in Gretna, Louisiana (outside of New Orleans) saw a story on Facebook saying AOC said the military made too much money. He shared the article and said she “needed a round and not the kind she used to serve”. He and a buddy who “liked” his post were both fired.

The sad/funny part is that the article came from a satire site that makes up ridiculous articles to trigger right wing snowflakes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BamaNation Hall of Fame seebell's Avatar

Re: Cop fired for saying AOC should be shot.

Good.

BamaNation Hall of Fame AlexanderFan's Avatar

Not a fan of the firings. There’s a lot of difference between “she needs to be shot” and “I’m going to shoot her.” Is the remark classless? Absolutely. Should someone be fired for it? Absolutely not. Now if there’s language that can be seen as a threat, then sure, fire them.

One issue we have in society today is that people are okay with liberty and freedom as long as they happen to agree with what’s being said.

"It's not luck, it's random bursts of talent." - Gage Robinson

BamaNation All-American CaliforniaTide's Avatar

The police officer should've never said it, even if it isn't as bad as saying that he was going to shoot her. Just an idiotic statement to make in order express how much he disagrees with her. I disagree with AOC on just about everything, but especially today's viral media world, he could've expressed the same sentiment without implying that she should be shot.
    It's the edge of the world
    And all of Western civilization
    The sun may rise in the East
    At least it settles in its final location
    It's understood that Hollywood
    Sells Californication - Red Hot Chili Peppers in Californication

Look at that dude go all Dareus on that colt...

Quote Originally Posted by CaliforniaTide View Post
    The police officer should've never said it, even if it isn't as bad as saying that he was going to shoot her. Just an idiotic statement to make in order express how much he disagrees with her. I disagree with AOC on just about everything, but especially today's viral media world, he could've expressed the same sentiment without implying that she should be shot.
    the guy read a satirical article that attributed a stupid, obviously false statement to a freshman congressman and then advocated for her being shot. Not sure about you but I wouldn't someone that stupid on my police force. He should be fired
    "There is a rumour going around that I have found God. I think this is unlikely because I have enough difficulty finding my keys, and there is empirical evidence that they exist." - Terry Pratchett

BamaNation Hall of Fame Tidewater's Avatar

I do not want her shot.
    I want her talking in front of cameras. A lot.

BamaNation Hall of Fame Go Bama's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by AlexanderFan View Post
    Not a fan of the firings. There’s a lot of difference between “she needs to be shot” and “I’m going to shoot her.” Is the remark classless? Absolutely. Should someone be fired for it? Absolutely not. Now if there’s language that can be seen as a threat, then sure, fire them.

One issue we have in society today is that people are okay with liberty and freedom as long as they happen to agree with what’s being said.

Here’s what he wrote on Facebook:

“This vile idiot needs a round... and I don't mean the kind she used to serve,"

He got what he deserves.

Super Moderator NationalTitles17's Avatar

He's a cop. He is expected to behave in a certain way. He fell well short of the mark. He got exactly what he needed to get. Personal responsibility and all...
    Roll Tide Roll!!!

The TideFan formerly known as NationalTitles16, NationalTitles15, NationalTitles14, NationalTitles13, and NationalTitles12.

BamaNation All-American

Yea, as a public servant and a cop specifically you just can't say things like that about people, especially elected officials.

BamaNation Hall of Fame Crimson1967's Avatar

The post originated on the Facebook page America’s Last Line of Defense. They put out a bunch of stuff like this. Despite the fact they say on their main page that it is made up, people see their stuff and get all riled up and share it. The guy who started the page did it as a social experiment to see just how stupid Trumpies are.

If this guy is so gullible he believes everything he sees on Facebook without doing a little bit of fact checking, he is too stupid to be a cop. Fact checking is something cops should be experts at.

I might have let the guy who liked his post off with a write up and a stern reprimand, but I’m not losing sleep over him getting the boot as well.

Last edited by Crimson1967; July 23rd, 2019 at 01:31 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Tidewater View Post
    I do not want her shot.
    I want her talking in front of cameras. A lot.
    i agree with you on both counts.
    The Party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command.

- George Orwell

If they can get you asking the wrong questions, they don’t have to worry about the answers.

— Thomas Pynchon

I think there's some confusion going on about the 1A and free speech. These two gentlemen were perfectly free to say what they did, as you pointed out they didn't make a personal direct threat. However, whether or not they should be fired is strictly a matter of opinion and the one which counts is the employer. If the local agency doesn't want its employees expressing the opinion that a US Representative should be shot, then firing is their right. If I were their supervisor and it got back to me what they said, I'd fire them. And what I thought of the particular Representative wouldn't matter at all. It's just immoderate, uncalled-for inflammatory speech, which we've had too much of, from the local level to the top dog...
    "The cure for boredom is curiosity. There is no cure for curiosity. - Ellen Parr"

'If today were the last day of my life, would I want to do what I am about to do today?' - Steve Jobs

“I would rather live my life as if there is a god and die to find out there isn't, than live my life as if there isn't and die to find out there is.” Albert Camus

"When Fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross." - Sinclair Lewis

Where ever there's BBQ, Crawfish & Football

Quote Originally Posted by TIDE-HSV View Post
    I think there's some confusion going on about the 1A and free speech. These two gentlemen were perfectly free to say what they did, as you pointed out they didn't make a personal direct threat. However, whether or not they should be fired is strictly a matter of opinion and the one which counts is the employer. If the local agency doesn't want its employees expressing the opinion that a US Representative should be shot, then firing is their right. If I were their supervisor and it got back to me what they said, I'd fire them. And what I thought of the particular Representative wouldn't matter at all. It's just immoderate, uncalled-for inflammatory speech, which we've had too much of, from the local level to the top dog...
    An old neighbor friend of mine owns a catering and food truck business and fired his nephew because of his idiotic political comments on facebook. First thing people did (in response to his online behavior) was find out where he worked. Once they found out they began to spread the word that he worked for a local catering/food truck business, who then began getting complaints on their website and company FB page. Guy had to pull the plug on him.

Due to the internet, the social landscape has drastically changed. Belligerently running one's mouth cost people more than just a butt whoopin' in today's world.
    Last edited by Bamabuzzard; July 23rd, 2019 at 03:06 PM.
    The existence of God isn't determined in the thoughts of man. God exists, no matter what man thinks.

"It cost a lot of money to look this cheap."-Dolly Parton.

"If you ever want to know how good your barbecue is start charging for it"-Myron Mixon