Cop fired for saying AOC should be shot.

Crimson1967

Hall of Fame
Nov 22, 2011
https://www.cbsnews.com/amp/news/ch...-department-officer-alexandria-ocasio-cortez/

A cop in Gretna, Louisiana (outside of New Orleans) saw a story on Facebook saying AOC said the military made too much money. He shared the article and said she “needed a round and not the kind she used to serve”. He and a buddy who “liked” his post were both fired.

The sad/funny part is that the article came from a satire site that makes up ridiculous articles to trigger right wing snowflakes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

AlexanderFan

Hall of Fame
Jul 23, 2004
Birmingham
Not a fan of the firings. There’s a lot of difference between “she needs to be shot” and “I’m going to shoot her.” Is the remark classless? Absolutely. Should someone be fired for it? Absolutely not. Now if there’s language that can be seen as a threat, then sure, fire them.

One issue we have in society today is that people are okay with liberty and freedom as long as they happen to agree with what’s being said.

CaliforniaTide

All-American
Aug 9, 2006
Huntsville, AL
The police officer should've never said it, even if it isn't as bad as saying that he was going to shoot her. Just an idiotic statement to make in order express how much he disagrees with her. I disagree with AOC on just about everything, but especially today's viral media world, he could've expressed the same sentiment without implying that she should be shot.

Jon

Hall of Fame
Feb 22, 2002
Atlanta 'Burbs
The police officer should've never said it, even if it isn't as bad as saying that he was going to shoot her. Just an idiotic statement to make in order express how much he disagrees with her. I disagree with AOC on just about everything, but especially today's viral media world, he could've expressed the same sentiment without implying that she should be shot.
the guy read a satirical article that attributed a stupid, obviously false statement to a freshman congressman and then advocated for her being shot. Not sure about you but I wouldn't someone that stupid on my police force. He should be fired

Go Bama

Hall of Fame
Dec 6, 2009
16outa17essee
Not a fan of the firings. There’s a lot of difference between “she needs to be shot” and “I’m going to shoot her.” Is the remark classless? Absolutely. Should someone be fired for it? Absolutely not. Now if there’s language that can be seen as a threat, then sure, fire them.

One issue we have in society today is that people are okay with liberty and freedom as long as they happen to agree with what’s being said.

Here’s what he wrote on Facebook:

[FONT=&quot]“This vile idiot needs a round... and I don't mean the kind she used to serve,"[/FONT]

He got what he deserves.

NationalTitles18

TideFans Legend
May 25, 2003
Mountainous Northern California

He's a cop. He is expected to behave in a certain way. He fell well short of the mark. He got exactly what he needed to get. Personal responsibility and all...

RollTide_HTTR

Hall of Fame
Feb 22, 2017
Yea, as a public servant and a cop specifically you just can't say things like that about people, especially elected officials.

Crimson1967

Hall of Fame
Nov 22, 2011
The post originated on the Facebook page America’s Last Line of Defense. They put out a bunch of stuff like this. Despite the fact they say on their main page that it is made up, people see their stuff and get all riled up and share it. The guy who started the page did it as a social experiment to see just how stupid Trumpies are.

If this guy is so gullible he believes everything he sees on Facebook without doing a little bit of fact checking, he is too stupid to be a cop. Fact checking is something cops should be experts at.

I might have let the guy who liked his post off with a write up and a stern reprimand, but I’m not losing sleep over him getting the boot as well.

Last edited:

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA

I think there's some confusion going on about the 1A and free speech. These two gentlemen were perfectly free to say what they did, as you pointed out they didn't make a personal direct threat. However, whether or not they should be fired is strictly a matter of opinion and the one which counts is the employer. If the local agency doesn't want its employees expressing the opinion that a US Representative should be shot, then firing is their right. If I were their supervisor and it got back to me what they said, I'd fire them. And what I thought of the particular Representative wouldn't matter at all. It's just immoderate, uncalled-for inflammatory speech, which we've had too much of, from the local level to the top dog...

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004
Where ever there's BBQ, Bourbon & Football
I think there's some confusion going on about the 1A and free speech. These two gentlemen were perfectly free to say what they did, as you pointed out they didn't make a personal direct threat. However, whether or not they should be fired is strictly a matter of opinion and the one which counts is the employer. If the local agency doesn't want its employees expressing the opinion that a US Representative should be shot, then firing is their right. If I were their supervisor and it got back to me what they said, I'd fire them. And what I thought of the particular Representative wouldn't matter at all. It's just immoderate, uncalled-for inflammatory speech, which we've had too much of, from the local level to the top dog...
An old neighbor friend of mine owns a catering and food truck business and fired his nephew because of his idiotic political comments on facebook. First thing people did (in response to his online behavior) was find out where he worked. Once they found out they began to spread the word that he worked for a local catering/food truck business, who then began getting complaints on their website and company FB page. Guy had to pull the plug on him.

Due to the internet, the social landscape has drastically changed. Belligerently running one's mouth cost people more than just a butt whoopin' in today's world.

Last edited:

Crimson1967

Hall of Fame
Nov 22, 2011
I do not want her shot.
I want her talking in front of cameras. A lot.
I would barely even be aware she exists except for Facebook memes posted by Trumpies.

Pelosi doesn’t even seem to be a big fan of hers or the other three. Yet they seem to trigger the snowflakes a lot.

AlexanderFan

Hall of Fame
Jul 23, 2004
Birmingham
I don’t have a problem with the “stupid games, stupid prizes “ approach, I’m just not willing to terminate employees over saying something crass that hurts a few feelings.

NationalTitles18

TideFans Legend
May 25, 2003
Mountainous Northern California
I don’t have a problem with the “stupid games, stupid prizes “ approach, I’m just not willing to terminate employees over saying something crass that hurts a few feelings.

A Law Enforcement Officer
said that a congresswoman should be shot. He should never ever ever ever work as a law enforcement office anywhere ever again in any way, shape, or form. Or maybe you want a nutjob showing at your house in the middle of the night ready to shoot whomever he has a disagreement with.

As for the other part - employment - had this been a simple political statement I'd be inclined to mostly agree with you, but that is not the case at all. He was advocating violence against a sitting congresswoman. There is a yuuuuuuuge difference between political statement and advocating violence against an elected official.

For the love of all that is good in the world, we do not need any LEO's with such a temperament as that displayed by this one. We have too many as it is. I'm glad he revealed himself so he could get fired before he killed someone himself.

CaliforniaTide

All-American
Aug 9, 2006
Huntsville, AL
the guy read a satirical article that attributed a stupid, obviously false statement to a freshman congressman and then advocated for her being shot. Not sure about you but I wouldn't someone that stupid on my police force. He should be fired
I'm not questioning the officer being fired, but he should've been more aware of that potential consequence with how viral everything goes today, regardless of the circumstances surrounding comment.

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA

Then we disagree strongly. Saying someone should be killed goes way beyond something crass. That we're having this discussion shows where this country has sunk...

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.