Sen Elizabeth Warren introduces bill to eliminate college loan debt - Page 7
Page 7 of 14 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314 LastLast
    BamaNation Hall of Fame CharminTide's Avatar

Re: Sen Elizabeth Warren introduces bill to eliminate college loan debt

Here's an interesting discussion on higher ed in England, which transitioned decades ago from free college to a tuition model.

https://www.brookings.edu/research/l...ge-in-england/

BamaNation Hall of Fame BamaFlum's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by TIDE-HSV View Post
    For that matter, there's not much demand for grads with degrees in either philosophy or English. Should those be non-funded dreams also. Society would be poorer without them...
    My wife ran into a former student who is now a lawyer. He said their law firm looks for graduates with degrees in biology and English. We both thought was an unusual combination.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    RTR!

Quote Originally Posted by BamaFlum View Post
    My wife ran into a former student who is now a lawyer. He said their law firm looks for graduates with degrees in biology and English. We both thought was an unusual combination.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Yeah. The English, I understand. The biology, I absolutely don't...
    "The cure for boredom is curiosity. There is no cure for curiosity. - Ellen Parr"

'If today were the last day of my life, would I want to do what I am about to do today?' - Steve Jobs

I would rather live my life as if there is a god and die to find out there isn't, than live my life as if there isn't and die to find out there is. Albert Camus

"When Fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross." - Sinclair Lewis

FB|BB Moderator

If I could turn the clock back 40+ years and do it over again, I'd major in A&S Economics, minor in English, then go to law school.

Interesting editorial cartoon today by Scott Stantis:

https://tribunecontentagency.com/art...24edstc-a-tif/
    You can't reason a man out of a position he didn't reason himself into.

BamaNation Hall of Fame

I owe it to the people to have a signature...so here goes nothing!

BamaNation Hall of Fame DzynKingRTR's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by 4Q Basket Case View Post
    If I could turn the clock back 40+ years and do it over again, I'd major in A&S Economics, minor in English, then go to law school.

If I could do it over I would have gotten a degree in Construction and then a Master's in Architecture.
    Architects do it with models.

Roll Tide Roll

Quote Originally Posted by 4Q Basket Case View Post

My career path was partially accidental, although it looks planned out, in retrospect - CBA, major in accounting, law school then masters of law in taxation from NYU. I was already an accountant when I began college. We did have guys at NYU who had come from an A&S background. Those of us who'd studied accounting felt sorry for them, because they really struggled with the accounting concepts you must understand to master tax law...
    "The cure for boredom is curiosity. There is no cure for curiosity. - Ellen Parr"

'If today were the last day of my life, would I want to do what I am about to do today?' - Steve Jobs

I would rather live my life as if there is a god and die to find out there isn't, than live my life as if there isn't and die to find out there is. Albert Camus

"When Fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross." - Sinclair Lewis

BamaNation Second Team

If I had it to do over again I would have become a certified welder or electrician.
    Of course, part of the problem with tech schools is that jobs are greatly diminishing unless you're a robot or computer.

Quote Originally Posted by BamaInCummingGA View Post
    If I had it to do over again I would have become a certified welder or electrician.
    Of course, part of the problem with tech schools is that jobs are greatly diminishing unless you're a robot or computer.
    Yah, but it's gonna be a long time before a robot comes out to repair a leak or get your HVAC running again.
    Oderint dum metuant - Lucius Accius

BamaNation Hall of Fame

The big problem with technician type jobs is that it always is a "young man's game" at the front lines. You ideal save up some money working under an older guy (and mastering the craft) then become the contractor with some young guys working for you. I'm kinda seeing the signs that cycle is being broken by the sheer cost of doing it on your own so a lot of the opportunities in HVAC and other "skilled laborer jobs" are going to be corporate or franchise oriented. Not good for a longterm career with any sort of growth in agency and easing on an older body.

The Mike Rowe argument is all good and well but there are a lot of blindspots. Regarding sustainability at the individual level, moving to where the skilled labor type is needed throughout your career potentially, and general financial/economic realities.

Quote Originally Posted by rgw View Post
    The big problem with technician type jobs is that it always is a "young man's game" at the front lines. You ideal save up some money working under an older guy (and mastering the craft) then become the contractor with some young guys working for you. I'm kinda seeing the signs that cycle is being broken by the sheer cost of doing it on your own so a lot of the opportunities in HVAC and other "skilled laborer jobs" are going to be corporate or franchise oriented. Not good for a longterm career with any sort of growth in agency and easing on an older body.

The Mike Rowe argument is all good and well but there are a lot of blindspots. Regarding sustainability at the individual level, moving to where the skilled labor type is needed throughout your career potentially, and general financial/economic realities.
    Trades vary a great deal in physical demands. And there are other than just the consumer-oriented like plumbing, electrical and HVAC...

BamaNation All-SEC

Quote Originally Posted by deliveryman35 View Post
    Advanced education beyond high school is a voluntary endeavor. You choose that, it is not forcibly thrust on you. There is absolutely no reason this expense should be paid by anyone else other than the person that chooses to go into it and the notion that this should be paid for by the taxpayers is outrageous. One political party knows that a bailout for this will never become law but nonetheless use it to pander for votes from the millennials. They have no shame.
    It could be viewed as an investment by taxpayers. If our country did not have a sufficient number of skilled workers then companies may start looking elsewhere. As a matter of fact some companies have already had to do that.

BamaNation Hall of Fame

It ain't just skilled labor. I can't find software developers worth damn yet everyone in my generation was seemingly going into computer science or an information systems related field.

Of course my problem is we just flat-out cannot pay market rate for the skills we need and this ain't the wake of a major recession so the public sector benefits aren't easing the private v. public pay gap. Hell, I can't get anyone at the university to understand that their "good benefits" are only good for people in jobs where quality employer subsidized healthcare doesn't exist. Sure the facilities guys are getting something there but a software dev is getting good benefits from nearly any employer they speak to in the job search process. Furthermore, private sector has things like serious performance bonuses/raises and stock options or revenue sharing. The pension is the one leg up the university has but pensions have a really poor perception amongst people in my generation despite the fact that Alabama's is quite secure.

Can't really fix this problem without paying public sector tech folks more but can't really do that when we consistently undermine our tax revenue base by giving cuts to the rich.