Will Nick Saban rein in Tua?

CHATTBRIT

Hall of Fame
Dec 3, 2003
Falling Water, TN
Re: Will Nick Saban reign in Tua?

Sorry guys but grammar police here. Reign is what a king or queen does when they are on the throne. Rein is used when reining in a horse or reining in Tua. Sorry. It's one of my pet peeves but I just had to make a note of it.

BTW I think Tua will be light years ahead of what he was as a sophomore.

PA Tide Fan

All-American
Dec 11, 2014
Lancaster, PA

I think in most cases you just have to let Tua be Tua. Not good to get him gun shy where he might not take the shot out of fear of tongue lashings throughout the game. If Coach is fearful of a pick 6 in our own end he should just call a running play.

CoolBreeze

Hall of Fame
Sep 18, 2002
Hoover

Sorry guys but grammar police here. Reign is what a king or queen does when they are on the throne. Rein is used when reining in a horse or reining in Tua. Sorry. It's one of my pet peeves but I just had to make a note of it.

BTW I think Tua will be light years ahead of what he was as a sophomore.
You Reining on our parade here pal? :D

Bubbaloo

1st Team
Dec 8, 2015

Reins aren't used to control or tame a premier thoroughbred horse. Reins are used in order to help provide his best chance of winning the race from someone who has the vision an experience to navigate the field.

tusks_n_raider

Hall of Fame
May 13, 2009
Mobile, AL

I don't know if I'm going to even make it TO this season much less through it if too many more threads have a premise of Tua being some type of problem.

THE DEFENSE IS WHY WE LOST TO CLEMSON

THE COACHES WHO HAD TWO FEET OUT THE DOOR ARE WHY WE LOST TO CLEMSON

Tua doesn't need to be reined in.... He just needs to be healthy and make a few adjustments here and there to take what the defense is giving him IF they are taking away the deep shot.

It's not like he's out there doing Brett Farve 360 sidearm blind throw INTS and having 15-20 total picks.

He throws one of the best Deep Balls I've ever seen..... You don't tell a Michael Jordan to stop taking Jumpers.

I'm going to need BP medicine this year or.....

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa

I wouldn't make much of that comment. I'd rather him be in the mindset of "if I have a shot, I'm taking it" rather than meekly talking about being risk adverse. Tua ain't AJ McCarron, John Parker Wilson, or Greg McElroy. Those guys all - by varying degrees - lack his arm, accuracy, and mobility. You need your GMac type quarterbacks thinking about risk aversion because they lack the arm to make things less risky. Tua ain't throwing many lazy floaters. He's not oft to throw a pass too high that requires the WR to extend to save a disaster like McCarron. Tua is putting those passes on the numbers more often than not. I wish he was tough as John Parker Wilson though. Watched some 2007 and 2008 highlights recently...he'd get rocked and still get up for the next play and would move the dang pile on QB sneaks.

Anyway, I think the important thing here is that Tua is more aware of what is a shot to take. All of his interceptions from November through the CFP were due to him anticipating coverages instead of seeing them.

Ole Man Dan

Hall of Fame
Apr 21, 2008
Gadsden, Al.
https://www.al.com/alabamafootball/2019/07/will-nick-saban-rein-in-tua-tagovailoa-this-season.html

Methinks there's too much parsing of words here (including by me). Tua will do whatever CNS wants him to do. My educated guess is that CNS realizes that Tua is a different cat than all the others before him and that CNS realizes Tua v.3 > Tua v.2 and, thus, will be wiser with the ball.

Of course, we all need something to write about and talk about for the next 39 days!
Tua needed guidance. He's a smart guy. He will likely find a happy medium between pleasing the coach, and knowing a play has blown up, and that he has a legit chance to make a play. I think that would be a best case scenario.

Last edited:

Ole Man Dan

Hall of Fame
Apr 21, 2008
Gadsden, Al.

Call me crazy, but I think we'll be doing same thing we did last year... scoring quick, but has ability to mix up the tempo throughout the game.
We will not pass up an easy long throw and score just to run the ball or throw a short pass.
In this day and age, we need every TD we can get.

This is simply taking what they give us...

4Q Basket Case

FB|BB Moderator
Staff member
Nov 8, 2004
Tuscaloosa

The biggest leap for Tua will be recognizing when the D has taken away the long ball.

He's so accurate that, with some justification, he feels he can put the ball in a small window. He also has receivers who can and will fight for the 50/50 balls. So I don't think the long ball is gone.

I do think the issue will be recognizing when the long ball isn't there. Part of that is knowing the opposition's personnel. The deep throw might be there against a weaker opponent, and not be there against a stronger one, even though they are in identical positions.

For example, Ole Miss's DBs aren't at LSU's level. So a receiver might be open against OM, and not against LSU, even though the DBs are in the exact same position versus our WR.

There's also risk management. As in, why put the 30-yard ball up for a 50/50 shot at your WR coming down with it, when you have a 90+% chance of moving the sticks with a safe outlet to the RB or TE?

Tua was fine in pre-snap reads. It's the post-snap reads while the play is unfolding that he needed work on. Prior to 2018, he had played only one half of a game, plus one possession in OT, while the outcome was still in doubt. It was a great half, but still only a hair over 30 minutes. Point being that 2018 was effectively his first year in continuous battle against the big boys..

It's said that the greatest improvement comes between the first and second year of playing time, so I expect big improvement in the post-snap reads for 2019.

Not mentioned much in all this was the inability of our OL to (1) generate consistent pass protection, and (2) move the pile in 3rd or 4th and short. That has been true for several years now, despite sending a bunch of O-linemen to the NFL. Tua's holding the ball too long had some effect on pass protection, and I expect that to be less of a problem in 2019. But I also think Flood is a major upgrade in OL coaching, and one that was at least a year (maybe two) overdue. So I'm also expecting a much improved OL performance, and one that should improve as the year wears on.

Last edited:

Padreruf

Hall of Fame
Feb 12, 2001
Charleston, South Carolina

The biggest leap for Tua will be recognizing when the D has taken away the long ball.

He's so accurate that, with some justification, he feels he can put the ball in a small window. He also has receivers who can and will fight for the 50/50 balls. So I don't think the long ball is gone.

I do think the issue will be recognizing when the long ball isn't there. Part of that is knowing the opposition's personnel. The deep throw might be there against a weaker opponent, and not be there against a stronger one, even though they are in identical positions.

For example, Ole Miss's DBs aren't at LSU's level. So a receiver might be open against OM, and not against LSU, even though the DBs are in the exact same position versus our WR.

There's also risk management. As in, why put the 30-yard ball up for a 50/50 shot at your WR coming down with it, when you have a 90+% chance of moving the sticks with a safe outlet to the RB or TE?

Tua was fine in pre-snap reads. It's the post-snap reads while the play is unfolding that he needed work on. Prior to 2018, he had played only one half of a game, plus one possession in OT, while the outcome was still in doubt. It was a great half, but still only a hair over 30 minutes. Point being that 2018 was effectively his first year in continuous battle against the big boys..

It's said that the greatest improvement comes between the first and second year of playing time, so I expect big improvement in the post-snap reads for 2019.

Not mentioned much in all this was the inability of our OL to (1) generate consistent pass protection, and (2) move the pile in 3rd or 4th and short. That has been true for several years now, despite sending a bunch of O-linemen to the NFL. Tua's holding the ball too long had some effect on pass protection, and I expect that to be less of a problem in 2019. But I also think Flood is a major upgrade in OL coaching, and one that was at least a year (maybe two) overdue. So I'm also expecting a much improved OL performance, and one that should improve as the year wears on.
I think you nailed it...just remember that Tua was the "youngest" QB we have played for any length of time...and also has the most ability. I rewatched some of the games from McCarron and GMac. They had nowhere near the arm talent or athleticism of Tua. Not a knock on them...he can just do more and with that brings more chance for error.

The bigger question is the OL...and their inability to knock people off the ball in short yardage situations. Enough said...I am more than ready for the season to start...

daddybama1

BamaNation Citizen
Nov 10, 2018

#TRUTH

I don't know if I'm going to even make it TO this season much less through it if too many more threads have a premise of Tua being some type of problem.

THE DEFENSE IS WHY WE LOST TO CLEMSON

THE COACHES WHO HAD TWO FEET OUT THE DOOR ARE WHY WE LOST TO CLEMSON

Tua doesn't need to be reined in.... He just needs to be healthy and make a few adjustments here and there to take what the defense is giving him IF they are taking away the deep shot.

It's not like he's out there doing Brett Farve 360 sidearm blind throw INTS and having 15-20 total picks.

He throws one of the best Deep Balls I've ever seen..... You don't tell a Michael Jordan to stop taking Jumpers.

I'm going to need BP medicine this year or.....

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa

4Q Basket Case is reminding me of something that annoys me more than Tua getting too greedy: we straight up could not run in short yardage without using Jacobs in wildcat despite having a great run/pass balance threat because of Tua and as veteran of an OL we've had since 2012.

Key was almost certainly fired in the way Saban always fires an assistant: tells them they're leaving one way or another so you probably should call your agent.

4Q Basket Case

FB|BB Moderator
Staff member
Nov 8, 2004
Tuscaloosa

4Q Basket Case is reminding me of something that annoys me more than Tua getting too greedy: we straight up could not run in short yardage without using Jacobs in wildcat despite having a great run/pass balance threat because of Tua and as veteran of an OL we've had since 2012.

Key was almost certainly fired in the way Saban always fires an assistant: tells them they're leaving one way or another so you probably should call your agent.
Amen to that, brother. This time last year, I thought we’d have the best OL since 2012, and maybe a rival for it as the GOAT.

Obviously, nothing in that universe happened. At the end, I was surprised only that it took so long to make the change.

I have big expectations for this year. But I’ve been disappointed so often in the post-Stoutland, post-Pendry era that I still need to see it to believe it.

Last edited:

cuda.1973

Hall of Fame
Dec 6, 2009
Allen, Texas

Yes, I knew I had missed one before the 'but', however, I plead mea culpa
Glad you were here to take on that "roll", but now you left the period off the end! You are not old enough to qualify for the "senior citizen moment", so how do you plead?

(You guys really didn't think I was going to pass that one up, did you?) :biggrin2:

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.