Will Nick Saban rein in Tua?

BamaNation

Publisher and Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
Apr 9, 1999
Silicon Slopes
TideFans.com
"If the shot is there, I am going to take it," Tagovailoa said. "Don’t expect me to throw a checkdown. I am going to take it."Tagovailoa’s declaration came after an offseason when Saban has subtly critiqued the quarterback’s daring approach to the position.In the spring, Saban said Tagovailoa needed to learn when to throw the ball away, adding, "You can't make a play out of every play."
https://www.al.com/alabamafootball/2019/07/will-nick-saban-rein-in-tua-tagovailoa-this-season.html

Methinks there's too much parsing of words here (including by me). Tua will do whatever CNS wants him to do. My educated guess is that CNS realizes that Tua is a different cat than all the others before him and that CNS realizes Tua v.3 > Tua v.2 and, thus, will be wiser with the ball.

Of course, we all need something to write about and talk about for the next 39 days!

Pilot172000

1st Team
Sep 25, 2017
Winnsboro, LA
Re: Will Nick Saban reign in Tua?

Tua is a great kid, who had never known defeat until that drumming we took in the NC game. He will wear humility well and do what it takes to get better. I think this season will be light years ahead of where he was last season and that says a lot. It doesn't hurt he was the greatest coach of all time in his ear telling him how to fix his mistakes.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012

Watching a number of the "Film Room" episodes with Tua last year, the route progressions were designed deep to short, meaning that Tua was supposed to read deep first and take that pass if it was there. So Tua is correct. And Saban has never criticized Tua for that. What Tua gets criticized for is what he does when the deep pass is not there. He holds the ball too long.

Fact - when the first read is there, Tua is a machine.
Fact - when the first read isn't there, Tua needs to learn to get the ball out of his hand faster. Check down or throw it away (or run the ball if there is a lane).

That said, I really hope that you reduce the number of RPO plays and just get back to run/pass protection blocking schemes. That will give Tua more time to throw the ball on pass plays when the first option is not there because the blockers know what is expected of them on that play - protect the QB - nothing else.

GrayTide

Hall of Fame
Nov 15, 2005
Greenbow, Alabama

Watching a number of the "Film Room" episodes with Tua last year, the route progressions were designed deep to short, meaning that Tua was supposed to read deep first and take that pass if it was there. So Tua is correct. And Saban has never criticized Tua for that. What Tua gets criticized for is what he does when the deep pass is not there. He holds the ball too long.

Fact - when the first read isn't there, Tua needs to learn to get the ball out of his hand faster. Check down or throw it away (or run the ball if there is a lane).

That said, I really hope that you reduce the number of RPO plays and just get back to run/pass protection blocking schemes. That will give Tua more time to throw the ball on pass plays when the first option is not there because the blockers know what is expected of them on that play - protect the QB - nothing else.
This has been my criticism of Tua all along and what I get bashed on when I bring it up. He has to learn to live to play another down.

JustNeedMe81

Hall of Fame
Sep 30, 2011
Huntsville, Al

I odn't know if RPO will go away for a while... we were very successful with it last year.... But I do agree that we probably will see more of a pro style plays more than RPO and that's not a bad thing at all. We know Tua can run RPO and Pro offense. If we do go with 1 TE... we will have more receivers on the field... and that will be very good news for Offense.

FitToBeTide

All-American
Aug 19, 2001
St. Florian

Right-o, B1g. The offensive line play is going to be the bellwether of Tua's season, I believe. Good protection = more time = better decisions = fewer collisions for Tua.

gtgilbert

All-American
Aug 12, 2011

https://www.al.com/alabamafootball/2019/07/will-nick-saban-rein-in-tua-tagovailoa-this-season.html

Methinks there's too much parsing of words here (including by me). Tua will do whatever CNS wants him to do. My educated guess is that CNS realizes that Tua is a different cat than all the others before him and that CNS realizes Tua v.3 > Tua v.2 and, thus, will be wiser with the ball.

Of course, we all need something to write about and talk about for the next 39 days!
I agree - In the article, Tua said the problem against Clemson is what he wasn't taking what the defense was giving. Seems to me like he already, at least conceptually, got it. If that's the case, I'd also bet he's working really hard to improve at it and not get himself pulled into that again.

UAH

All-American
Nov 27, 2017

That has been my thought about the RPO offense as well but I admit to having very little expertise as to why RPO is thought to be more effective than play action. My sense of it is this was Locksley's weakness to stay with the RPO scheme against defenses like Georgia and Clemson who had the defensive scheme and talent to execute against Tua. We often see criticism of offensive line play but it is a fact that when the line is asked to go through multiple series where they do not know pass or run against a strong defense it can result in being ineffective in both. An offensive line can be much more effective in run schemes that put six hats on five defenders or pass protection that does the same. This is where close games or won or lost.

EnterBama

Scout Team
Oct 24, 2018

I agree. Tua's escapability to prolong a play was always a double edged sword. Sometimes it worked and sometimes it got him beat up and hurt.

davefrat

Hall of Fame
Jun 4, 2002
Hopewell, VA

If Saban wants a player to do something and the player refuses to comply that player usually gets a seat on the bench...I don’t think Tua would be treated differently.

Padreruf

Hall of Fame
Feb 12, 2001
Charleston, South Carolina

An interesting sidenote -- I thought I saw that Tua's father is an unpaid QB "coach" in some form or fashion. Could be that CNS values his perspective...obviously...and influence upon Tua.

Did anyone else see this or was I imagining something in my pre-dementia days?

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012

An interesting sidenote -- I thought I saw that Tua's father is an unpaid QB "coach" in some form or fashion. Could be that CNS values his perspective...obviously...and influence upon Tua.

Did anyone else see this or was I imagining something in my pre-dementia days?
I have read that he is "like" another QB coach, but I don't think that he is allowed to actually coach anyone other than his boys, and not even them during an actual practice. The NCAA would get involved if her were actively coaching a position during practices.

Rama Jama

All-American
Jan 4, 2011
Tuscaloosa

They are not reigning in Tua as much as teaching him to take what the defense gives him. He sometimes is so focused down field he misses a 10 yard gain by a safety valve or short route. He holds on trying to make the big play sometimes instead of the right play. Don't get me wrong Tua is as good at throwing deep routes as I have ever seen. But if you watch the games, he sometimes holds the ball waiting on the deep routes when a guy is wide open underneath. I do think we will run the ball more this year which will make Tua even more effective in the long run as well as probably keep him healthier. He will simply be getting hit a lot less.

CoolBreeze

Hall of Fame
Sep 18, 2002
Hoover

Frankly, I expect to see the exact same cat slinging the ball around like we did last year. The only difference will be playcalling based on toting the rock more AND the game play elevation of all the players around him especially on D.

TiderJack

Hall of Fame
Jul 9, 2010
Inverness, AL

Frankly, I expect to see the exact same cat slinging the ball around like we did last year. The only difference will be playcalling based on toting the rock more AND the game play elevation of all the players around him especially on D.
Agreed. We may not throw quiet as much with big leads like we did last year but you don't change the overall philosophy of our offense with our QB and WR's.

Tide&True

All-American
Sep 24, 2004
Murfreesboro, TN

They are not reigning in Tua as much as teaching him to take what the defense gives him. He sometimes is so focused down field he misses a 10 yard gain by a safety valve or short route. He holds on trying to make the big play sometimes instead of the right play. Don't get me wrong Tua is as good at throwing deep routes as I have ever seen. But if you watch the games, he sometimes holds the ball waiting on the deep routes when a guy is wide open underneath. I do think we will run the ball more this year which will make Tua even more effective in the long run as well as probably keep him healthier. He will simply be getting hit a lot less.
Tua does hold the ball to long...let’s hope he matures and manages the ball better. His skills are off the chart but sometimes you just have to get rid of the ball and live another day (see AJ McCarron).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JustNeedMe81

Hall of Fame
Sep 30, 2011
Huntsville, Al

Under Sarkisian, the Falcons were efficient at moving the ball as the team ranked top-10 in the NFL in total yards, first downs and drives ending in an offensive score, finishing both seasons over 40%. In 2018, Atlanta quarterback Matt Ryan ranked ninth among starters in the NFL with a 62.3% completion rate in the red zone.

Sarkisian came highly recommended from Falcons receivers and former Alabama stars Julio Jones and Calvin Ridley.
Sarkisian also doubles as Alabama’s quarterbacks coach. Alabama quarterback Tua Tagovailoa told reporters during the spring that having the offensive coordinator coach the quarterbacks helps the offense because they are more accessible to each other and can more easily offer feedback.
Tagovailoa added that he expects Sarkisian to help them develop their ability to quickly process the entire field, a more pro-style approach to quarterbacking. As Tagovailoa begins working with his third offensive coordinator in three seasons, the NFL knowledge has already begun to sink in.
“The terminology is definitely different, getting to understand what we gotta do, where to line up, how we line up,” Tagovailoa said. “How we speak in the quarterback room is a little different as well. I said this before – a lot of the coaches that we’ve had prior to Coach Sark, they all have different things on how they speak with their terminology in football to how they call plays.
https://cw.ua.edu/53077/sports/sarkisian-brings-new-approach-to-crimson-tide-offense/

It sounds like Tua prefers the Sark's offense.

JustNeedMe81

Hall of Fame
Sep 30, 2011
Huntsville, Al

Call me crazy, but I think we'll be doing same thing we did last year... scoring quick, but has ability to mix up the tempo throughout the game.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012

Call me crazy, but I think we'll be doing same thing we did last year... scoring quick, but has ability to mix up the tempo throughout the game.
I think that you will score quickly, too. But that is because you have the best WR corps the sport has ever seen. Every one of those guys can score any time they touch the ball. Crazy speed and mad moves in the open field.

Look for more broken ankles as defenses try to keep up.

RollTide_HTTR

Hall of Fame
Feb 22, 2017

I know this has been said before but the biggest difference may be Sark and his propensity for calling quick passes like screens. Tua may get the ball out of his hands faster but I don't think that counts as reigning him in.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.