According to the NCAA, Duke is a "Brutal" game...for ND?

The Ols

Hall of Fame
Jul 8, 2012
Cumming,Ga.

Soooo, we get dinged, almost ridiculed for playing Duke, a game that we DID NOT CHOOSE, but to ND it's a brutal contest...
Seriously, that about sums up the media's take on The Tide!!!

10. Notre Dame

Get ready for a slightly down year for the Irish. That trip to Georgia seems destined to end in a loss. And then there are brutal games at Michigan, Duke and Stanford. Seems like 9-3 is the end result. But there won't be a collapse.

***This is from the NCAA.com's pre-season poll. THE NCAA!!!

Last edited:

Krymsonman

Hall of Fame
Sep 1, 2009
River Ridge, LA
It may be brutal for us if we show up with a "not taking it seriously" mindset. Stranger things have happened in college football. Of course, I expect us to be quite ready for the Duke game and take care of business. I just always worry we might take an opponent a little lightly.

EnterBama

Scout Team
Oct 24, 2018

Soooo, we get dinged, almost ridiculed for playing Duke, a game that we DID NOT CHOOSE, but to ND it's a brutal contest...

10. Notre Dame

Get ready for a slightly down year for the Irish. That trip to Georgia seems destined to end in a loss. And then there are brutal games at Michigan, Duke and Stanford. Seems like 9-3 is the end result. But there won't be a collapse.

I might see it as a trip up game if it were sandwiched between Michigan and Stanford but the have VT, Navy and Boston College between those as well.

The only distinction Duke seems to have is it's an away game as are Michigan and Stanford. Their only other away games are Louisville in game 1 and Georgia in game 3.

Con

Hall of Fame
Dec 19, 2006
Northern Hemisphere
We have such high standards compared to these other teams. It is almost unfair for us to live up to all the media’s expectations.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Evil Crimson Dragon

Hall of Fame
Feb 4, 2018
Marietta, GA
It may be brutal for us if we show up with a "not taking it seriously" mindset. Stranger things have happened in college football. Of course, I expect us to be quite ready for the Duke game and take care of business. I just always worry we might take an opponent a little lightly.
Don't think Saban and Scott Cochran will let them take Duke lightly...…...………..in fact, he has probably pounded it into their heads for awhile now

DogPatch

Suspended
Dec 4, 2018
Tuscaloosa

10. Notre Dame

Or maybe the NCAA is just trying to drum up some interest in our opener. I know they don't care about Bama, but they DO care about a half empty stadium.

PA Tide Fan

All-American
Dec 11, 2014
Lancaster, PA
In their last meeting back in 2016 Duke beat ND @ South Bend 38-35, so perhaps it will be brutal for them. That win should give Duke some confidence going into this one.

JDCrimson

Hall of Fame
Feb 12, 2006
For the life of me, I dont know why other schools continue to schedule them as an OOC game. They should have been coerced into joining a conference years ago by scheduling avoidance.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

TideEngineer08

TideFans Legend
Jun 9, 2009
Beautiful Cullman, AL
I understand the mindset, but our D+ game beats Duke by 21 easily.

MBA_99

1st Team
Jan 11, 2010
A, A
For the life of me, I dont know why other schools continue to schedule them as an OOC game. They should have been coerced into joining a conference years ago by scheduling avoidance.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk
That is a really awesome point.

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
Remind me again of how many other INDIVIDUAL teams have an EXCLUSIVE contract to show ALL of their games regardless?

Notre Dame is money in the bank for the team that plays them.

That "we'll force them to do what we want" might work if we were talking about, say, BYU.

USC is not going to suddenly stop playing Notre Dame - given the squishy support for them when they're not good, they need it.

Navy needs the money - they're not going to give up that game, either.

Stanford has played them every year since 1997. Stanford is not going to replace the Irish with some small FCS team with the wrong colored football field.

Your objection here is sorta like the objection that used to be lodged about "I don't know why we can't have a playoff and just tell the bowl games the go screw themselves."

Because the bowl games were GUARANTEED CONFERENCE MONEY and GUARANTEED TV MONEY.

Jim Delaney doesn't want the Rose Bowl to match the Big 10 and Pac 10 because he's a stubborn jerk; he wants that because he wants the conference money.

It's no accident we got the BCS only AFTER the Rose Bowl contract expired and could be figured into the negotiation. Even then, the Rose Bowl wanted to go last in the rotation - and then got their way with the additional BCS game that meant they could have both "the Rose Bowl" and the "BCS Title Game."

And if you doubt Notre Dame is big money.......CBS just abandoned a cash cow of prime time LSU-Alabama in order to show prime time Notre Dame-UGA.

That's why this "let's boycott Notre Dame until they join a conference" won't work.

The Ols

Hall of Fame
Jul 8, 2012
Cumming,Ga.
Not being a smart aleck here. This is the second instance where I've seen the Bama/LSWho game and UGa/ND mentioned. Bama v Who's is on 11/9...UGa/ND is on 9/21...what am I missing?
Remind me again of how many other INDIVIDUAL teams have an EXCLUSIVE contract to show ALL of their games regardless?

Notre Dame is money in the bank for the team that plays them.

That "we'll force them to do what we want" might work if we were talking about, say, BYU.

USC is not going to suddenly stop playing Notre Dame - given the squishy support for them when they're not good, they need it.

Navy needs the money - they're not going to give up that game, either.

Stanford has played them every year since 1997. Stanford is not going to replace the Irish with some small FCS team with the wrong colored football field.

Your objection here is sorta like the objection that used to be lodged about "I don't know why we can't have a playoff and just tell the bowl games the go screw themselves."

Because the bowl games were GUARANTEED CONFERENCE MONEY and GUARANTEED TV MONEY.

Jim Delaney doesn't want the Rose Bowl to match the Big 10 and Pac 10 because he's a stubborn jerk; he wants that because he wants the conference money.

It's no accident we got the BCS only AFTER the Rose Bowl contract expired and could be figured into the negotiation. Even then, the Rose Bowl wanted to go last in the rotation - and then got their way with the additional BCS game that meant they could have both "the Rose Bowl" and the "BCS Title Game."

And if you doubt Notre Dame is big money.......CBS just abandoned a cash cow of prime time LSU-Alabama in order to show prime time Notre Dame-UGA.

That's why this "let's boycott Notre Dame until they join a conference" won't work.

BamaHoosier

All-American
Jan 17, 2011
Noblesville Indiana
Not being a smart aleck here. This is the second instance where I've seen the Bama/LSWho game and UGa/ND mentioned. Bama v Who's is on 11/9...UGa/ND is on 9/21...what am I missing?
CBS only allows two college football doubleheader weekends each season, with typically only one of those being a primetime game. In the past Bama vs LSU has been guaranteed to be their prime time selection, but this year the powers at be chose the Notre Dame vs LSU game instead.

Had it not been for the Domer/Tiger game they would have scheduled our game as their prime time matchup. Date had nothing to do with it, it’s all about network broadcasting restrictions.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.