Anyone else watching the Tour de France? - Page 2
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 14 to 26 of 30
  1. #14
    BamaNation Hall of Fame DzynKingRTR's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    Vinings, ga., usa
    Posts
    20,374

    Re: Anyone else watching the Tour de France?

    Quote Originally Posted by TIDE-HSV View Post
    View from my daughter's balcony...Name:  Rachel's view.jpg
Views: 0
Size:  52.8 KB
    Would your daughter like a live-in personal architect? I know a guy.
    Architects do it with models.

    Roll Tide Roll

  2. #15
    Senior Administrator TIDE-HSV's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 1999
    Location
    Huntsville, AL,USA
    Posts
    63,544

    Re: Anyone else watching the Tour de France?

    Quote Originally Posted by DzynKingRTR View Post
    Would your daughter like a live-in personal architect? I know a guy.
    They've had all kinds of offers. We visited last September and are probably going back this October or next spring. My niece was there last weekend and, as I said above, her friend from HS, along with a cycling buddy, were there last month...
    "The cure for boredom is curiosity. There is no cure for curiosity. - Ellen Parr"

    'If today were the last day of my life, would I want to do what I am about to do today?' - Steve Jobs

    I would rather live my life as if there is a god and die to find out there isn't, than live my life as if there isn't and die to find out there is. Albert Camus

    "When Fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross." - Sinclair Lewis

  3. #16
    BamaNation Hall of Fame Bazza's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    New Smyrna Beach, Florida
    Posts
    21,926
    Thread Starter

    Re: Anyone else watching the Tour de France?

    Back to the race.....

    Huge development....rest of today's stage cancelled for safety concerns, due to snow and hail...

    There was a dramatical early finish to Stage 19 of the Tour de France as a blizzard on the final climb to Tignes caused the stage to be cancelled mid-race.

    Huge drama as blizzard ends Stage 19 early and Bernal surges into yellow
    "Old dog - new tricks"

  4. #17
    BamaNation Hall of Fame DzynKingRTR's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    Vinings, ga., usa
    Posts
    20,374

    Re: Anyone else watching the Tour de France?

    Quote Originally Posted by Bazza View Post
    Back to the race.....

    Huge development....rest of today's stage cancelled for safety concerns, due to snow and hail...

    There was a dramatical early finish to Stage 19 of the Tour de France as a blizzard on the final climb to Tignes caused the stage to be cancelled mid-race.

    Huge drama as blizzard ends Stage 19 early and Bernal surges into yellow
    When I had to bike due to a lack of car, I biked through some pretty bad weather. I cannot imagine trying to bike in a blizzard. I did bike after a huge snow storm, but I wasn't wearing bicycle shorts. I wore sweat pants and a hoodie.
    Architects do it with models.

    Roll Tide Roll

  5. #18
    Senior Administrator TIDE-HSV's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 1999
    Location
    Huntsville, AL,USA
    Posts
    63,544

    Re: Anyone else watching the Tour de France?

    I have biked in freezing rain before. When I reached my office, biking into a fierce north wind, my rain gear was coated with ice...
    "The cure for boredom is curiosity. There is no cure for curiosity. - Ellen Parr"

    'If today were the last day of my life, would I want to do what I am about to do today?' - Steve Jobs

    I would rather live my life as if there is a god and die to find out there isn't, than live my life as if there isn't and die to find out there is. Albert Camus

    "When Fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross." - Sinclair Lewis

  6. #19
    BamaNation Hall of Fame DzynKingRTR's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    Vinings, ga., usa
    Posts
    20,374

    Re: Anyone else watching the Tour de France?

    Quote Originally Posted by TIDE-HSV View Post
    I have biked in freezing rain before. When I reached my office, biking into a fierce north wind, my rain gear was coated with ice...
    The first time I had to bike to work was January 2011, 3 days after the snowstorm that hit Atlanta that year. I biked from Smyrna to Midtown. There were a bunch of hills and it was cold. I walked in and said "I quit". No one realized the path I was taking. One stormy night, my boss gave me a lift. He actually asked if that was the route I took everyday. When I said yes he offered to give me his son's car that "needed work". I lost 40 pounds doing that hellish ride for 4 months. I biked rain or shine or windy (sometime there were really windy days like 25 mph). The only time I did not bike was when there was lightning because I am not exactly the luckiest person. I was sure if anyone would get struck by lightning it would be me. Good times.
    Architects do it with models.

    Roll Tide Roll

  7. #20
    Senior Administrator TIDE-HSV's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 1999
    Location
    Huntsville, AL,USA
    Posts
    63,544

    Re: Anyone else watching the Tour de France?

    Quote Originally Posted by DzynKingRTR View Post
    The first time I had to bike to work was January 2011, 3 days after the snowstorm that hit Atlanta that year. I biked from Smyrna to Midtown. There were a bunch of hills and it was cold. I walked in and said "I quit". No one realized the path I was taking. One stormy night, my boss gave me a lift. He actually asked if that was the route I took everyday. When I said yes he offered to give me his son's car that "needed work". I lost 40 pounds doing that hellish ride for 4 months. I biked rain or shine or windy (sometime there were really windy days like 25 mph). The only time I did not bike was when there was lightning because I am not exactly the luckiest person. I was sure if anyone would get struck by lightning it would be me. Good times.
    I commuted by bike for about 30 years. However, I usually cheated. I kept clothes at my office and would change there, bike home for lunch and then drive back in the afternoon. That was to stay out of the afternoon traffic. That was particularly advantageous when I moved to Monte Sano and had to use a twisty two lane mountain road with many blind curves. I've been passed many times when the overtaking driver had no way on earth of being able to see what was coming. Talking about "blind," when I biked the Blue Ridge Parkway, I was unprepared for the length of the first tunnel - didn't even have my light mounted. I was completely in the dark. I stretched out my right arm and angled the bike slightly (I hoped) to the right until my fingertips touched the tunnel wall and kept them brushing the wall until I exited. Of course, I was also acutely aware that over at the side is where all the broken glass and debris lies. I was lucky - and had my light on for the next one...
    "The cure for boredom is curiosity. There is no cure for curiosity. - Ellen Parr"

    'If today were the last day of my life, would I want to do what I am about to do today?' - Steve Jobs

    I would rather live my life as if there is a god and die to find out there isn't, than live my life as if there isn't and die to find out there is. Albert Camus

    "When Fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross." - Sinclair Lewis

  8. #21
    BamaNation All-SEC Bamafaninco1's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Colorado Springs, CO via Cullman, Al
    Posts
    1,181

    Re: Anyone else watching the Tour de France?

    It has been fun to watch this year. Yesterday's day in the Alp's was nuts. The Frenchman in the yellow jersey is crazy for going down the mountain like that but that is what it takes to win. I haven't seen today's yet.

  9. #22
    BamaNation Hall of Fame Bazza's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    New Smyrna Beach, Florida
    Posts
    21,926
    Thread Starter

    Re: Anyone else watching the Tour de France?

    The biggest shame about yesterday was the loss of TP. He had looked the strongest in the mountains all tour.

    New flash.... today's stage shortened to the 37 mile climb to Val Torens. Down from 80 miles. That just may save a podium for JA. He has 25 seconds on GT and the only thing we might see today is GT hang on the back wheel of the fastest of the top 5 with EB on his (GT's) wheel so that EB is guaranteed the win. So JA May just get the consolation of a podium because of that. Of course SK May have to attack hard since he wants a podium.

    37 miles and one hill climb? The only comparison is the shorter but steeper sprint up LAlpe dHuez.

    We will see.

    I hope we dont have an anticlimactic end to the tour what with yesterday and then the shortening of today. This has been the absolute best tour in many years.
    "Old dog - new tricks"

  10. #23
    BamaNation Hall of Fame Bazza's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    New Smyrna Beach, Florida
    Posts
    21,926
    Thread Starter

    Re: Anyone else watching the Tour de France?

    Forgot to mention also......TV coverage today is on NBC....not NBCSN.
    "Old dog - new tricks"

  11. #24
    Senior Administrator TIDE-HSV's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 1999
    Location
    Huntsville, AL,USA
    Posts
    63,544

    Re: Anyone else watching the Tour de France?

    Quote Originally Posted by Bazza View Post
    Forgot to mention also......TV coverage today is on NBC....not NBCSN.
    Thought I might be able to watch the replay but no luck. I guess it's not up yet...
    "The cure for boredom is curiosity. There is no cure for curiosity. - Ellen Parr"

    'If today were the last day of my life, would I want to do what I am about to do today?' - Steve Jobs

    I would rather live my life as if there is a god and die to find out there isn't, than live my life as if there isn't and die to find out there is. Albert Camus

    "When Fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross." - Sinclair Lewis

  12. #25
    BamaNation Hall of Fame Bazza's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    New Smyrna Beach, Florida
    Posts
    21,926
    Thread Starter

    Re: Anyone else watching the Tour de France?

    Quote Originally Posted by TIDE-HSV View Post
    Thought I might be able to watch the replay but no luck. I guess it's not up yet...
    Not sure where to view a replay - maybe on the NBCSN site (?)

    I have a couple comments to make but will wait until later to post them for those who didn't see today's stage yet.
    "Old dog - new tricks"

  13. #26
    Senior Administrator TIDE-HSV's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 1999
    Location
    Huntsville, AL,USA
    Posts
    63,544

    Re: Anyone else watching the Tour de France?

    Quote Originally Posted by Bazza View Post
    Not sure where to view a replay - maybe on the NBCSN site (?)

    I have a couple comments to make but will wait until later to post them for those who didn't see today's stage yet.
    I finally found a written report on it. I'd like to see the stage, since I've been over the route before...
    "The cure for boredom is curiosity. There is no cure for curiosity. - Ellen Parr"

    'If today were the last day of my life, would I want to do what I am about to do today?' - Steve Jobs

    I would rather live my life as if there is a god and die to find out there isn't, than live my life as if there isn't and die to find out there is. Albert Camus

    "When Fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross." - Sinclair Lewis

Bookmarks

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

TideFansStore.com Bama Gear