Anyone else watching the Tour de France?

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
Coming down the home stretch.....

Despite Froome and Cavendish being out, it's been a very exciting event this year so far. Should get even better with the next 3 stages in the Alps!

https://www.letour.fr/en/
Stage 20 is the only one I've been over part of (in a car). Albertville is where my daughter and husband buy most of the food for their restaurant...

Bazza

TideFans Legend
Oct 1, 2011
New Smyrna Beach, Florida
Stage 20 is the only one I've been over part of (in a car). Albertville is where my daughter and husband buy most of the food for their restaurant...
I figured you would tune in each year because of your connection to France. They do a very nice job of highlighting how beautiful the countrysides are as well as the enormity of history and popularity of the sport.

The enthusiastic crowds who flock to this event every year alone are quite noteworthy.

When one looks to differentiate between the two cultures - here and there - they could look no further than this event and they would have it.

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
I figured you would tune in each year because of your connection to France. They do a very nice job of highlighting how beautiful the countrysides are as well as the enormity of history and popularity of the sport.

The enthusiastic crowds who flock to this event every year alone are quite noteworthy.

When one looks to differentiate between the two cultures - here and there - they could look no further than this event and they would have it.
A friend, also a friend of my daughter's from high school, went over last month, stayed with Rachel, and biked a lot of the Alpine route, including the climb up L'alpe d'Huez...

Bazza

TideFans Legend
Oct 1, 2011
New Smyrna Beach, Florida
Today was a big day as the next two will be as well. A little surprised at NQ's performance but good on him as this type of stage is his strong suite.

Still impossible to make a prediction but I would love to see a Frenchman win this year (JA).

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
Would your daughter like a live-in personal architect? I know a guy.
They've had all kinds of offers. We visited last September and are probably going back this October or next spring. My niece was there last weekend and, as I said above, her friend from HS, along with a cycling buddy, were there last month...

DzynKingRTR

TideFans Legend
Dec 17, 2003
Vinings, ga., usa
Back to the race.....

Huge development....rest of today's stage cancelled for safety concerns, due to snow and hail...

There was a dramatical early finish to Stage 19 of the Tour de France as a blizzard on the final climb to Tignes caused the stage to be cancelled mid-race.

Huge drama as blizzard ends Stage 19 early and Bernal surges into yellow
When I had to bike due to a lack of car, I biked through some pretty bad weather. I cannot imagine trying to bike in a blizzard. I did bike after a huge snow storm, but I wasn't wearing bicycle shorts. I wore sweat pants and a hoodie.

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
I have biked in freezing rain before. When I reached my office, biking into a fierce north wind, my rain gear was coated with ice...

DzynKingRTR

TideFans Legend
Dec 17, 2003
Vinings, ga., usa
I have biked in freezing rain before. When I reached my office, biking into a fierce north wind, my rain gear was coated with ice...
The first time I had to bike to work was January 2011, 3 days after the snowstorm that hit Atlanta that year. I biked from Smyrna to Midtown. There were a bunch of hills and it was cold. I walked in and said "I quit". No one realized the path I was taking. One stormy night, my boss gave me a lift. He actually asked if that was the route I took everyday. When I said yes he offered to give me his son's car that "needed work". I lost 40 pounds doing that hellish ride for 4 months. I biked rain or shine or windy (sometime there were really windy days like 25 mph). The only time I did not bike was when there was lightning because I am not exactly the luckiest person. I was sure if anyone would get struck by lightning it would be me. Good times.

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
The first time I had to bike to work was January 2011, 3 days after the snowstorm that hit Atlanta that year. I biked from Smyrna to Midtown. There were a bunch of hills and it was cold. I walked in and said "I quit". No one realized the path I was taking. One stormy night, my boss gave me a lift. He actually asked if that was the route I took everyday. When I said yes he offered to give me his son's car that "needed work". I lost 40 pounds doing that hellish ride for 4 months. I biked rain or shine or windy (sometime there were really windy days like 25 mph). The only time I did not bike was when there was lightning because I am not exactly the luckiest person. I was sure if anyone would get struck by lightning it would be me. Good times.
I commuted by bike for about 30 years. However, I usually cheated. I kept clothes at my office and would change there, bike home for lunch and then drive back in the afternoon. That was to stay out of the afternoon traffic. That was particularly advantageous when I moved to Monte Sano and had to use a twisty two lane mountain road with many blind curves. I've been passed many times when the overtaking driver had no way on earth of being able to see what was coming. Talking about "blind," when I biked the Blue Ridge Parkway, I was unprepared for the length of the first tunnel - didn't even have my light mounted. I was completely in the dark. I stretched out my right arm and angled the bike slightly (I hoped) to the right until my fingertips touched the tunnel wall and kept them brushing the wall until I exited. Of course, I was also acutely aware that over at the side is where all the broken glass and debris lies. I was lucky - and had my light on for the next one...

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.