Question: Status of Anoma

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheRealPokeChop

Hall of Fame
Jul 7, 2010
Hueytown, Al
Sure has been a lot of talk for a guy who never played a meaningful snap and - by all indications with his will-he-won't-he saga for the last 8 months - was never going to play meaningful snap in 2019 either. Sure, he was a 5-star but he didn't turn out to be a 5-star for us. We didn't lose anything because he never did anything in meaningful game time.
He would have been a major contributor at OLB for us this season.

BAMAVILLE

Moderator (FB,BB,REC)
Staff member
Jan 9, 2014
Well ... hummm ...

Hate to hear this is the case, a talented player but it's really looking more and more that it's the best case for both him and Bama to be honest. I wish him well.

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net
He would have been a major contributor at OLB for us this season.
Nah, he would be lucky to have seen the field. He has all the physical tools, but emotionally isn't there.

Little to zero chance he would have seen the field this season unless things changed dramatically.

IOW, this isn't really a loss. Wish he was better prepared to be impactful, but we've seen this before...

Toddrn

All-American
Nov 29, 2006
Woodstock, Ga
No they don't care about history or tradition. They only care about themselves in most cases. Not all but most. It's a different world now.
I know I may be prejudiced by why would anybody leave Bama? I guess kids today don’t really care about history or tradition.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
Earlier in this thread there was mention of mental health issues. Those issues can result in all types of problems that look like other things. They can lead to things like missed activities, poor grades, general apathy and even depression. So, all of the things being reported in this thread can be attributed to his mental health issues (assuming they exist).

I think that it is also very unlikely that he would ever have made a truly meaningful contribution at Alabama while dealing with these types of issues. As great as he may be as a player, he has to win this battle to have a chance to compete at a place like Alabama.

I guess that my point is that Anoma is a human being and deserves our sympathy as he works through this. My advice to him would be to go home, take a year off and get mentally healthy again before jumping back into football activities. But they would start with "go home", and that seems to be what he has done. I wish him well. He won't hurt Alabama or OSU at Maryland, but he might just get his life back together.

Roll Tide!

Last edited:

dWarriors88

All-American
Jan 4, 2009
Tulsa, OK
Nah, he would be lucky to have seen the field. He has all the physical tools, but emotionally isn't there.

Little to zero chance he would have seen the field this season unless things changed dramatically.

IOW, this isn't really a loss. Wish he was better prepared to be impactful, but we've seen this before...
Not being able to keep control of your emotions during tense 3rd down situations could cost a game or two later in the season. Might be for the best.

Last edited:

BamaNation

Publisher and Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
Apr 9, 1999
Silicon Slopes
TideFans.com
Would be interesting to see how many 4* & 5* have not contributed during the Saban era. My guess is relatively few. Seems like CNS & crew are much better than everybody else at identifying guys who can play and aren't head cases. There was a stat last season that pointed to this fact.

BamaHoosier

All-American
Jan 17, 2011
Noblesville Indiana
Would be interesting to see how many 4* & 5* have not contributed during the Saban era. My guess is relatively few. Seems like CNS & crew are much better than everybody else at identifying guys who can play and aren't head cases. There was a stat last season that pointed to this fact.
I remember the stat you are referring to, and it was nuts. The exact percentages escape me, but it was something like we’ve put 55-60% of our 5* recruits into the NFL in the last 10 years. The national average was between 15-20%.

4* recruits we’ve whiffed on would be a much broader percentage because we typically take in 18-20 a year. However you are correct when you say we haven’t missed many 5* guys. A few come to mind, BJ Scott, Blake Barnett, Ben Davis, and Kendall Sheffield. Still, it’s a very short list.

What’s even more incredible is that I don’t remember a single year where we missed more than one big recruit. It’s uncanny how good our talent evaluation process is.

I’m no Selma, but it would be interesting to see a year by year breakdown of our top recruits. If someone doesn’t beat me to it, I might look that up later.

BAMAVILLE

Moderator (FB,BB,REC)
Staff member
Jan 9, 2014
Earlier in this thread there was mention of mental health issues. Those issues can result in all types of problems that look like other things. They can lead to things like missed activities, poor grades, general apathy and even depression. So, all of the things being reported in this thread can be attributed to his mental health issues (assuming they exist).

I think that it is also very unlikely that he would ever have made a truly meaningful contribution at Alabama while dealing with these types of issues. As great as he may be as a player, he has to win this battle to have a chance to compete at a place like Alabama.

I guess that my point is that Anoma is a human being and deserves our sympathy as he works through this. My advice to him would be to go home, take a year off and get mentally healthy again before jumping back into football activities. But they would start with "go home", and that seems to be what he has done. I wish him well. He won't hurt Alabama or OSU at Maryland, but he might just get his life back together.

Roll Tide!
You're right B1GTide. I'm beginning to think that his connection to Loxs may have been bigger than we may understand ... especially with everything Anoma's been dealing with mentally. If him being closer to home works better for him then I think it works best for both parties so I'm all for it.

gtgilbert

All-American
Aug 12, 2011
I remember the stat you are referring to, and it was nuts. The exact percentages escape me, but it was something like we’ve put 55-60% of our 5* recruits into the NFL in the last 10 years. The national average was between 15-20%.

4* recruits we’ve whiffed on would be a much broader percentage because we typically take in 18-20 a year. However you are correct when you say we haven’t missed many 5* guys. A few come to mind, BJ Scott, Blake Barnett, Ben Davis, and Kendall Sheffield. Still, it’s a very short list.

What’s even more incredible is that I don’t remember a single year where we missed more than one big recruit. It’s uncanny how good our talent evaluation process is.

I’m no Selma, but it would be interesting to see a year by year breakdown of our top recruits. If someone doesn’t beat me to it, I might look that up later.

I wouldn't put sheffield on that list. He was a 4th round pick and has a good shot at an NFL career, he just didn't stick with us.

One to add would be Tyler Love. highest rated miss, except for Ben Davis, we have had under saban. There there are the QB misses, Barnett and P Sims. Both 5 stars...

BamaHoosier

All-American
Jan 17, 2011
Noblesville Indiana
I wouldn't put sheffield on that list. He was a 4th round pick and has a good shot at an NFL career, he just didn't stick with us.

One to add would be Tyler Love. highest rated miss, except for Ben Davis, we have had under saban. There there are the QB misses, Barnett and P Sims. Both 5 stars...
Good memory on Love and Sims, I’d forgotten they were both that highly rated. We can agree to disagree on Sheffield. I absolutely get your point, but to me he still counts as a miss since he never contributed. That’s the same category to me as Anoma should he go on to live up to his potential. Might not be a miss from a talent eval standpoint, still was a miss in production.

Another borderline case is Robert Foster. He was on the team for four years, but only produced in small doses. He was a solid his last year, but was constantly overshadowed by other receivers around him. The fact that he’s now showing signs of being a breakout player with the Bills shows how much potential production we missed out on.

I wouldn’t call him a miss per se, but definitely a disappointment compared to the hype that surrounded him.

RollTide_HTTR

Hall of Fame
Feb 22, 2017
Good memory on Love and Sims, I’d forgotten they were both that highly rated. We can agree to disagree on Sheffield. I absolutely get your point, but to me he still counts as a miss since he never contributed. That’s the same category to me as Anoma should he go on to live up to his potential. Might not be a miss from a talent eval standpoint, still was a miss in production.

Another borderline case is Robert Foster. He was on the team for four years, but only produced in small doses. He was a solid his last year, but was constantly overshadowed by other receivers around him. The fact that he’s now showing signs of being a breakout player with the Bills shows how much potential production we missed out on.

I wouldn’t call him a miss per se, but definitely a disappointment compared to the hype that surrounded him.

I feel like Hand falls into that category as well. IIRC he was a #1 overall recruit and while he was a solid player here he never lived up to that potential.

Also, I think Kamara was a 4star but I was pretty pumped about him. I know we've had great RBs but he's one I really wish we could have kept around.

CrimSonami

All-American
Jul 17, 2011
Ardmore, AL; too close to 10erC
If Anoma in fact has mental health issues by all means the university should not only release him from his obligation but promote and assist in getting him the help he needs to survive and thrive. Football may be the catalyst for him but it could also be detrimental to his well being until he heals or learns to adapt.

TiderJack

Hall of Fame
Jul 9, 2010
Inverness, AL
I feel like Hand falls into that category as well. IIRC he was a #1 overall recruit and while he was a solid player here he never lived up to that potential.

Also, I think Kamara was a 4star but I was pretty pumped about him. I know we've had great RBs but he's one I really wish we could have kept around.
I don't think you can lump Hand into that category. While not spectacular it was a solid college career and he is killing it in the NFL.

Amazing that Kamara came in with Henry, Kenyan Drake and Altee Tenpenny. Had to the best RB class ever for any school.

CrimsonEyeshade

Hall of Fame
Nov 6, 2007
That class also had Tyren Jones, who was considered at least as good a prospect coming out of Atlanta as Kamara, and both left. What is it about Atlanta kids?

Amazing that Kamara came in with Henry, Kenyan Drake and Altee Tenpenny. Had to the best RB class ever for any school.[/QUOTE]

Last edited:

TiderJack

Hall of Fame
Jul 9, 2010
Inverness, AL
That class also had Tyren Jones, who was considered at least as good a prospect coming out of Atlanta as Kamara, and both left. What is it about Atlanta kids?

Amazing that Kamara came in with Henry, Kenyan Drake and Altee Tenpenny. Had to the best RB class ever for any school.
[/QUOTE]

Good call on Tyren Jones and it was Jones and not Drake that was in the '13 class and you are right about ATL. Drake came in with Yeldon in the '12 class so we had Yeldon, Drake, Henry, Kamara and Jones in two recruiting classes.

RollTide_HTTR

Hall of Fame
Feb 22, 2017
I don't think you can lump Hand into that category. While not spectacular it was a solid college career and he is killing it in the NFL.

yea but he had #1 overall recruit hype didn't he? I think he at least fits with Robert Foster as a player who didn't reach his hype. Idk he's an interesting case. I've been pretty happy for him and his NFL success to date though.

gtgilbert

All-American
Aug 12, 2011

yeah - I was thinking about it from a pure talent standpoint, not really from the missed production standpoint.

Foster certainly match the hype with production for sure, but to your point, the talent is starting to show for him now. If I recall, he had to fight through a few injuries during his time in Tuscaloosa and that was what kept him somewhat limited.

others mentioned Hand, and I wouldn't put him in that category. He played a lot, even as a freshman. the thing that kept him from getting even more PT was a completely beastly DL rotation of guys who were here before him; namely A'Shawn Robinson, Reed and Jonathan Allen - all 1st and 2nd round picks.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.