Question: Status of Anoma - Page 6
Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast

Thread: Status of Anoma

BamaNation Hall of Fame B1GTide's Avatar

Re: Status of Anoma

Earlier in this thread there was mention of mental health issues. Those issues can result in all types of problems that look like other things. They can lead to things like missed activities, poor grades, general apathy and even depression. So, all of the things being reported in this thread can be attributed to his mental health issues (assuming they exist).

I think that it is also very unlikely that he would ever have made a truly meaningful contribution at Alabama while dealing with these types of issues. As great as he may be as a player, he has to win this battle to have a chance to compete at a place like Alabama.

I guess that my point is that Anoma is a human being and deserves our sympathy as he works through this. My advice to him would be to go home, take a year off and get mentally healthy again before jumping back into football activities. But they would start with "go home", and that seems to be what he has done. I wish him well. He won't hurt Alabama or OSU at Maryland, but he might just get his life back together.

Roll Tide!
    Last edited by B1GTide; July 29th, 2019 at 05:55 AM.

BamaNation All-American dWarriors88's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by crimsonaudio View Post
    Nah, he would be lucky to have seen the field. He has all the physical tools, but emotionally isn't there.

Little to zero chance he would have seen the field this season unless things changed dramatically.

IOW, this isn't really a loss. Wish he was better prepared to be impactful, but we've seen this before...
    Not being able to keep control of your emotions during tense 3rd down situations could cost a game or two later in the season. Might be for the best.
    Last edited by dWarriors88; July 29th, 2019 at 06:23 AM.
    At Some Places They Play Football.
    At Alabama, We LIVE It.

"...Ain't nothin' but a winner."

Publisher, TideFans.com &
    Benevolent Dictator

Would be interesting to see how many 4* & 5* have not contributed during the Saban era. My guess is relatively few. Seems like CNS & crew are much better than everybody else at identifying guys who can play and aren't head cases. There was a stat last season that pointed to this fact.

BamaNation All-American BamaHoosier's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by BamaNation View Post
    Would be interesting to see how many 4* & 5* have not contributed during the Saban era. My guess is relatively few. Seems like CNS & crew are much better than everybody else at identifying guys who can play and aren't head cases. There was a stat last season that pointed to this fact.
    I remember the stat you are referring to, and it was nuts. The exact percentages escape me, but it was something like weíve put 55-60% of our 5* recruits into the NFL in the last 10 years. The national average was between 15-20%.

4* recruits weíve whiffed on would be a much broader percentage because we typically take in 18-20 a year. However you are correct when you say we havenít missed many 5* guys. A few come to mind, BJ Scott, Blake Barnett, Ben Davis, and Kendall Sheffield. Still, itís a very short list.

Whatís even more incredible is that I donít remember a single year where we missed more than one big recruit. Itís uncanny how good our talent evaluation process is.

Iím no Selma, but it would be interesting to see a year by year breakdown of our top recruits. If someone doesnít beat me to it, I might look that up later.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Formerly BamaBomber

BamaNation All-SEC

Quote Originally Posted by B1GTide View Post
    Earlier in this thread there was mention of mental health issues. Those issues can result in all types of problems that look like other things. They can lead to things like missed activities, poor grades, general apathy and even depression. So, all of the things being reported in this thread can be attributed to his mental health issues (assuming they exist).

I think that it is also very unlikely that he would ever have made a truly meaningful contribution at Alabama while dealing with these types of issues. As great as he may be as a player, he has to win this battle to have a chance to compete at a place like Alabama.

I guess that my point is that Anoma is a human being and deserves our sympathy as he works through this. My advice to him would be to go home, take a year off and get mentally healthy again before jumping back into football activities. But they would start with "go home", and that seems to be what he has done. I wish him well. He won't hurt Alabama or OSU at Maryland, but he might just get his life back together.

Roll Tide!
    You're right B1GTide. I'm beginning to think that his connection to Loxs may have been bigger than we may understand ... especially with everything Anoma's been dealing with mentally. If him being closer to home works better for him then I think it works best for both parties so I'm all for it.

BamaNation All-SEC

Quote Originally Posted by BamaHoosier View Post
    I remember the stat you are referring to, and it was nuts. The exact percentages escape me, but it was something like we’ve put 55-60% of our 5* recruits into the NFL in the last 10 years. The national average was between 15-20%.

4* recruits we’ve whiffed on would be a much broader percentage because we typically take in 18-20 a year. However you are correct when you say we haven’t missed many 5* guys. A few come to mind, BJ Scott, Blake Barnett, Ben Davis, and Kendall Sheffield. Still, it’s a very short list.

What’s even more incredible is that I don’t remember a single year where we missed more than one big recruit. It’s uncanny how good our talent evaluation process is.

I’m no Selma, but it would be interesting to see a year by year breakdown of our top recruits. If someone doesn’t beat me to it, I might look that up later.

I wouldn't put sheffield on that list. He was a 4th round pick and has a good shot at an NFL career, he just didn't stick with us.

One to add would be Tyler Love. highest rated miss, except for Ben Davis, we have had under saban. There there are the QB misses, Barnett and P Sims. Both 5 stars...

BamaNation All-SEC BamaBoySince89's Avatar

Was Tyler Love a 5*?

BamaNation All-American BamaHoosier's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by gtgilbert View Post
    I wouldn't put sheffield on that list. He was a 4th round pick and has a good shot at an NFL career, he just didn't stick with us.

One to add would be Tyler Love. highest rated miss, except for Ben Davis, we have had under saban. There there are the QB misses, Barnett and P Sims. Both 5 stars...
    Good memory on Love and Sims, Iíd forgotten they were both that highly rated. We can agree to disagree on Sheffield. I absolutely get your point, but to me he still counts as a miss since he never contributed. Thatís the same category to me as Anoma should he go on to live up to his potential. Might not be a miss from a talent eval standpoint, still was a miss in production.

Another borderline case is Robert Foster. He was on the team for four years, but only produced in small doses. He was a solid his last year, but was constantly overshadowed by other receivers around him. The fact that heís now showing signs of being a breakout player with the Bills shows how much potential production we missed out on.

I wouldnít call him a miss per se, but definitely a disappointment compared to the hype that surrounded him.

Formerly BamaBomber

BamaNation All-American

Quote Originally Posted by BamaHoosier View Post
    Good memory on Love and Sims, I’d forgotten they were both that highly rated. We can agree to disagree on Sheffield. I absolutely get your point, but to me he still counts as a miss since he never contributed. That’s the same category to me as Anoma should he go on to live up to his potential. Might not be a miss from a talent eval standpoint, still was a miss in production.

Another borderline case is Robert Foster. He was on the team for four years, but only produced in small doses. He was a solid his last year, but was constantly overshadowed by other receivers around him. The fact that he’s now showing signs of being a breakout player with the Bills shows how much potential production we missed out on.

I wouldn’t call him a miss per se, but definitely a disappointment compared to the hype that surrounded him.

I feel like Hand falls into that category as well. IIRC he was a #1 overall recruit and while he was a solid player here he never lived up to that potential.

Also, I think Kamara was a 4star but I was pretty pumped about him. I know we've had great RBs but he's one I really wish we could have kept around.

If Anoma in fact has mental health issues by all means the university should not only release him from his obligation but promote and assist in getting him the help he needs to survive and thrive. Football may be the catalyst for him but it could also be detrimental to his well being until he heals or learns to adapt.
    "It's not the will to win that matters - everyone has that.
    It's the will to prepare to win that matters."
    PAUL "BEAR" BRYANT

BamaNation Hall of Fame TiderJack's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by RollTide_HTTR View Post
    I feel like Hand falls into that category as well. IIRC he was a #1 overall recruit and while he was a solid player here he never lived up to that potential.

Also, I think Kamara was a 4star but I was pretty pumped about him. I know we've had great RBs but he's one I really wish we could have kept around.
    I don't think you can lump Hand into that category. While not spectacular it was a solid college career and he is killing it in the NFL.

Amazing that Kamara came in with Henry, Kenyan Drake and Altee Tenpenny. Had to the best RB class ever for any school.

BamaNation All-American

That class also had Tyren Jones, who was considered at least as good a prospect coming out of Atlanta as Kamara, and both left. What is it about Atlanta kids?

Amazing that Kamara came in with Henry, Kenyan Drake and Altee Tenpenny. Had to the best RB class ever for any school.[/QUOTE]
    Last edited by CrimsonEyeshade; July 29th, 2019 at 04:07 PM.

BamaNation Hall of Fame TiderJack's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by CrimsonEyeshade View Post
    That class also had Tyren Jones, who was considered at least as good a prospect coming out of Atlanta as Kamara, and both left. What is it about Atlanta kids?

Amazing that Kamara came in with Henry, Kenyan Drake and Altee Tenpenny. Had to the best RB class ever for any school.
    [/QUOTE]

Good call on Tyren Jones and it was Jones and not Drake that was in the '13 class and you are right about ATL. Drake came in with Yeldon in the '12 class so we had Yeldon, Drake, Henry, Kamara and Jones in two recruiting classes.