Question: Status of Anoma

Status
Not open for further replies.

TiderJack

Hall of Fame
Jul 9, 2010
Inverness, AL
yea but he had #1 overall recruit hype didn't he? I think he at least fits with Robert Foster as a player who didn't reach his hype. Idk he's an interesting case. I've been pretty happy for him and his NFL success to date though.
For a #1 overall recruit I can agree but I don't think Hand can be mentioned with Love and Sims and he had a better career than Robert Foster but it is somewhat close.

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
Good memory on Love and Sims, I’d forgotten they were both that highly rated. We can agree to disagree on Sheffield. I absolutely get your point, but to me he still counts as a miss since he never contributed. That’s the same category to me as Anoma should he go on to live up to his potential. Might not be a miss from a talent eval standpoint, still was a miss in production.

Another borderline case is Robert Foster. He was on the team for four years, but only produced in small doses. He was a solid his last year, but was constantly overshadowed by other receivers around him. The fact that he’s now showing signs of being a breakout player with the Bills shows how much potential production we missed out on.

I wouldn’t call him a miss per se, but definitely a disappointment compared to the hype that surrounded him.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Robert Foster's problem was Jalen Hurts tendency to focus on his primary too long. If he had a QB who spreads the ball around like Tua then he'd went in the top 3 rounds at a minimum.

bamaga

Hall of Fame
Apr 29, 2002
JAWJA
These comments are responses to several posts. In the limited time Eyabi played last year, he flashed off the chart physical talent. I really expected him to blow up this year, and maybe be a CFB superstar in a year or maybe two if he stayed that long.
Anoma and Alfano have totally different body types, and while both may be athletically gifted enough to play the others position, that would never happen. Just not maximizing either players talent.
As far as Locksley, unfortunately that is the new trend in CFB. with the transfer portal and recruiting shenanigans, I expect more of the same moving forward instead of the old loyalty and gratitude for opportunities. Especially when that much money is involved for coaches.

tideindc

2nd Team
Jan 2, 2015
Spoke with someone who knows Anoma. He said he has never really felt like he fit in with the bama program, and that it is not a given he transfers to Md. He said Anoma is not leaving because he is being lured by Locks. He would probably be gone whether Locks was at Md or not.

TiderJack

Hall of Fame
Jul 9, 2010
Inverness, AL
Spoke with someone who knows Anoma. He said he has never really felt like he fit in with the bama program, and that it is not a given he transfers to Md. He said Anoma is not leaving because he is being lured by Locks. He would probably be gone whether Locks was at Md or not.
It takes a special person both mentally and physically to play at Bama and not all are cut out to do it. Good luck to him and I do expect him to make it to the NFL if he gets his mind right.

MikeD

Suspended
Feb 24, 2007
yea but he had #1 overall recruit hype didn't he? I think he at least fits with Robert Foster as a player who didn't reach his hype. Idk he's an interesting case. I've been pretty happy for him and his NFL success to date though.
Number DE, not recruit

Islander

1st Team
Jul 18, 2008
Hoover or Dauphin Island
If I remember correctly he was in the top 10 overall that year and was the #1 OL. A lot of people missed on him.
If I remember correctly, Tyler was an offensive tackle, and we recruited him at about 275# and he could not gain good weight. His problem was never about ability or effort. You just can’t play offensive line at that weight in the SEC!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

4Q Basket Case

FB|BB Moderator
Staff member
Nov 8, 2004
Tuscaloosa
He would probably be gone whether Locks was at Md or not.
With what I have seen and heard, I would say that is accurate.
Stone cold dead on. And it doesn't sound like he had a choice in the matter.

Given the attention that Anoma's departure has gotten, I'm surprised I haven't seen this tidbit from Saban's press conference mentioned.

The link below is to kyallie's post of the press conference video. Take a listen between the 10:50 and 11:10 marks.

https://www.tidefans.com/forums/showthread.php?t=310276&p=3427948&viewfull=1#post3427948

Huge quote from Saban: "The guy was dismissed from school...." Not dismissed from the football team. Saban's words were, "dismissed from school."

Now, all that is statement of fact. I want to draw a clear line of separation between those facts and me going off into my interpretation, which is the rest of this post.

What gets a student, any student, dismissed from school? Really only a few things.

He could have committed a crime. But if that were the case, and it were bad enough to get kicked out of school, it would be a matter of public record, and we'd have heard about it. Don't think it's this.

He could have flunked out. But if his grades were so bad that the University wasn't going to allow him to return for the fall semester, I think we'd have heard about suspensions and other disciplinary action way before it got to that point. It takes months for academic performance to get that bad, so the coaches would have had plenty of warning. And it stands to reason that if they did have that warning, I seriously doubt they'd have been counting on him for a material role in the fall. But they were counting on him. Which indicates to me that it wasn't grades. At least not directly. Because.....

It could have been an academic integrity issue...plagiarism, cheating in some form or fashion, or similar. Which, by process of elimination, is what I suspect.

It's an offense bad enough to get you thrown out of school, especially if you get busted and try to cover it up. But it's not matter of public record. And there isn't necessarily a long lead time to go from discovery of the problem to the termination of status as a student.

While I can think of a lot of reasons someone would voluntarily leave, I can't think of another reason why the University would dismiss someone from school, without (1) the cause being a matter of public record, and (2) it comes as at least a mild surprise to the coaches.

Can anybody out there come up with a plausible alternative?

Last edited:

Evil Crimson Dragon

Hall of Fame
Feb 4, 2018
Marietta, GA
Stone cold dead on. And it doesn't sound like he had a choice in the matter.

Given the attention that Anoma's departure has gotten, I'm surprised I haven't seen this tidbit from Saban's press conference mentioned.

The link below is to kyallie's post of the press conference video. Take a listen between the 10:50 and 11:10 marks.

https://www.tidefans.com/forums/showthread.php?t=310276&p=3427948&viewfull=1#post3427948

Huge quote from Saban: "The guy was dismissed from school...." Not dismissed from the football team. Saban's words were, "dismissed from school."

Now, all that is statement of fact. I want to draw a clear line of separation between those facts and me going off into my interpretation, which is the rest of this post.

What gets a student, any student, dismissed from school? Really only a few things.

He could have committed a crime. But if that were the case, and it were bad enough to get kicked out of school, it would be a matter of public record, and we'd have heard about it. Don't think it's this.

He could have flunked out. But if his grades were so bad that the University wasn't going to allow him to return for the fall semester, I think we'd have heard about suspensions and other disciplinary action way before it got to that point. It takes months for academic performance to get that bad, so the coaches would have had plenty of warning. And it stands to reason that if they did have that warning, I seriously doubt they'd have been counting on him for a material role in the fall. But they were counting on him. Which indicates to me that it wasn't grades. At least not directly. Because.....

It could have been an academic integrity issue...plagiarism, cheating in some form or fashion, or similar. Which, by process of elimination, is what I suspect.

It's an offense bad enough to get you thrown out of school, especially if you get busted and try to cover it up. But it's not matter of public record. And there isn't necessarily a long lead time to go from discovery of the problem to the termination of status as a student.

While I can think of a lot of reasons someone would voluntarily leave, I can't think of another reason why the University would dismiss someone from school, without (1) the cause being a matter of public record, and (2) it comes as at least a mild surprise to the coaches.

Can anybody out there come up with a plausible alternative?
I couldn't begin to speculate, but hearing he was dismissed doesn't sound good for him

Last edited:

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
I don't think this was a crime. My guess is it is an honor code violation or grades. You must have at least 1.50 GPA after your freshman year (or first 30 hours) to continue enrollment at the University according to the academic progress standard. Most people I know who ran into academic progress problems had bigger issues than merely intelligence/aptitude. They were usually dealing with "some stuff." Furthermore, those kind of grades with the academic support they all have can almost only be attained if their HS transcript was mostly fiction or they're just not trying one way or another.

If I had to spin a yarn I reckon his issues in December were a come to Jesus when the grades dropped and his quiet exit this Summer was after more of the same in his Spring semester grades. FERPA protects a student's right to privacy for their academic performance. While the AD has privilege to view academic performance for their scholarship requirements that does not give a coach the privilege to divulge it to everyone else.

Last edited:

4Q Basket Case

FB|BB Moderator
Staff member
Nov 8, 2004
Tuscaloosa
I don't think this was a crime. My guess is it is an honor code violation or grades. You must have at least 1.50 GPA after your freshman year (or first 30 hours) to continue enrollment at the University according to the academic progress standard. Most people I know who ran into academic progress problems had bigger issues than merely intelligence/aptitude. They were usually dealing with "some stuff." Furthermore, those kind of grades with the academic support they all have can almost only be attained if their HS transcript was mostly fiction or they're just not trying one way or another.

If I had to spin a yarn I reckon his issues in December were a come to Jesus when the grades dropped and his quiet exit this Summer was after more of the same in his Spring semester grades. FERPA protects a student's right to privacy for their academic performance. While the AD has privilege to view academic performance for their scholarship requirements that does not give a coach the privilege to divulge it to everyone else.
Agreed that it's not likely a crime. Agreed that it could be an honor code problem. Agreed that grade problems probably aren't a function of academic inability.

What would puzzle me is if Anoma was dismissed due to bad grades. If that's the case, with all the academic monitoring they do (verifying attendance, completion of assignments, etc.), why were the coaches even remotely figuring he would contribute in the fall?

Or maybe that assumption's wrong, and the coaches were exploring other options long before the fans in general were aware that it's a question.

uaintn

All-American
Aug 2, 2000
franklin, tennessee, usa
Yes, it is actually pretty tough to get tossed from the University (or most any state college) short of an actual crime. Academic shenanigans is the most common. A Title IX violation would also do it, as would some sort discriminatory offense (race, color, national origin, age, disability, pregnancy) not rising to the level of a crime. However, the latter usually manages to become public knowledge and seems unlikely.

Simplest explanation is likely correct. I’d go with academic misconduct, not meaning bad grades.... Don’t guess it matters and it really isn’t any of my business.

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
Agreed about the missing piece about the grades is that it was unlikely he’d even got garbage time snaps if he was clearly heading towards academic progress standard problems.

tusks_n_raider

Hall of Fame
May 13, 2009
Mobile, AL
If his dismissal from UA was indeed over grades leading to a sub 1.50 GPA.... and the reason behind it was a mental disorder or learning disorder then I really feel bad for the kid..... especially if Mental Illness(s) were the main factor.

Mental Illness runs in my family on both sides and It's tough for me to admit it but I struggle with several disorders myself. It's a tough thing to deal with because there is such a negative stigma attached to it.

Plus in my case I've been on Medications and in Therapy for over 5 years straight now and I still haven't been able to fully get things under control to the point I would seem 'Normal' to most other people IRL.

Otoh IF his dismissal from school is from lack of effort/caring and/or some type of code of honor infraction then I still feel bad for him because it would be a right shame for his talent to be wasted.

Whatever the reason(s) that led to this I'm pulling for the kid to succeed at LIFE.... and it's unfortunate that UA wasn't the right place to help him succeed.

TRU

All-SEC
Oct 3, 2000
Tampa, FL
My guess it was plagiarism. As a prof myself, we are struggling with an epidemic of plagiarism. Today's students, growing up in the Google age, seem not to grasp the idea that searching a topic on the internet and copying the text from a web site verbatim is considered wrong and not your work. And web sites like Course Hero allow one to mine a lot of information on any class, including questions and answers to previous exams. My institution is cracking down on this, using tools like Turnitin to monitor student work. We also monitor Course Hero and seed it with incorrect information and traps. And we are dismissing an increasing number of students caught in acts of academic dishonesty. Get caught and you are gone before the semester ends.

Jkl0802

1st Team
Apr 9, 2015
Stuttgart, Germany
Spoke with someone who knows Anoma. He said he has never really felt like he fit in with the bama program, and that it is not a given he transfers to Md.
So he fits in at Houston? Maybe more football players at Houston have blue hair? Maybe at Houston you can be Self-centered and do things that draw attention to yourself rather than be a team player? By all appearances, this will not end well.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.