Starting a new job soon! - Page 2
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    BamaNation Hall of Fame DzynKingRTR's Avatar

Re: Starting a new job soon!

There was a point where I was becoming frustrated at my current job earlier this year. I dusted off the old resume and sent it out. I was offered a job the next day. My current job sensed something was up as I “seemed distracted”. I was open about it and they responded by offering me a raise to stay. I am going to stay. The other offer was in North Carolina anyway and I did not really want to leave for another state.
    Architects do it with models.

Roll Tide Roll

Super Moderator NationalTitles17's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by AUDub View Post
    Already got one. Dialysis, lab and sterilization central water systems. MarCor has hired me as their FSE for the entire state of Alabama. Lot of work, lot of travel, but with a far narrower focus and far more pay. Company truck and all that too.
    Congratulations, Dub.
    Roll Tide Roll!!!

The TideFan formerly known as NationalTitles16, NationalTitles15, NationalTitles14, NationalTitles13, and NationalTitles12.

Congrats, Dub!
    "Old dog - new tricks"

Quote Originally Posted by DzynKingRTR View Post
    There was a point where I was becoming frustrated at my current job earlier this year. I dusted off the old resume and sent it out. I was offered a job the next day. My current job sensed something was up as I “seemed distracted”. I was open about it and they responded by offering me a raise to stay. I am going to stay. The other offer was in North Carolina anyway and I did not really want to leave for another state.
    and then last night I get 3 calls from 3 different people I used to work with asking me if I am interested in making a change.

Roll Tide Roll

I have an interview next Tuesday with another architecture firm. It will be back to the type of work I enjoy and no more government jobs. I have never had an informal interview like this. It is a lunch interview. I miss doing this type of work (hospitality), but I am tired of K-12 schools and this seems to be the direction of the current job. I would be going to a place that I already know about 3 or 4 people who have all vouched for me which is why my interview is going to be so informal. It wasn't that long ago that the current job convinced me to stay and now I might be bailing.

Roll Tide Roll

BamaNation Hall of Fame GrayTide's Avatar

I have an interview next Tuesday with another architecture firm. It will be back to the type of work I enjoy and no more government jobs. I have never had an informal interview like this. It is a lunch interview. I miss doing this type of work (hospitality), but I am tired of K-12 schools and this seems to be the direction of the current job. I would be going to a place that I already know about 3 or 4 people who have all vouched for me which is why my interview is going to be so informal. It wasn't that long ago that the current job convinced me to stay and now I might be bailing.
    Sometimes you got to roll the dice.
    "My momma always said you got to put the past behind you before you can move on." Forrest Gump

"The past is never dead. It's not even past." William Faulkner

I would say it wasnt that long ago. Looks like it was just last week.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "I don't know what class is but I can tell when one has it, you can tell from a mile away"
    -- Coach Bryant

"We always talk about playing 60 minutes but this is a 60-10 game: the 60 minutes of the game and the 10 minutes in the locker room after the game that you remember for the rest of your life."
    -- Nick Saban day after beating Clemson

Quote Originally Posted by RTR91 View Post
    I would say it wasn’t that long ago. Looks like it was just last week.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I posted it a week ago but it happened 3 weeks ago. I am a little apprehensive about leaving for a new job with an election year coming up because if there were to be lay offs the first one to go would be last one hired. Then again if I leave the right way, the current job would hire me back pretty quickly.

Roll Tide Roll

I posted it a week ago but it happened 3 weeks ago. I am a little apprehensive about leaving for a new job with an election year coming up because if there were to be lay offs the first one to go would be last one hired. Then again if I leave the right way, the current job would hire me back pretty quickly.
    Sounds like the truth would serve you well - just say you're a little tired of institutional architecture and want to work on something more varied and challenging...
    "The cure for boredom is curiosity. There is no cure for curiosity. - Ellen Parr"

'If today were the last day of my life, would I want to do what I am about to do today?' - Steve Jobs

I would rather live my life as if there is a god and die to find out there isn't, than live my life as if there isn't and die to find out there is. Albert Camus

"When Fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross." - Sinclair Lewis

Quote Originally Posted by TIDE-HSV View Post
    Sounds like the truth would serve you well - just say you're a little tired of institutional architecture and want to work on something more varied and challenging...
    You are probably right. I don't think they will take it personally. I am waiting until the deadline is finished before I leave. The funny thing is everyone that has worked on this one project has left. This project has had 3 phases and someone has left after every phase. They even joked about me taking over the project and leaving. I have had to keep my poker face on through every joke.

Roll Tide Roll

You are probably right. I don't think they will take it personally. I am waiting until the deadline is finished before I leave. The funny thing is everyone that has worked on this one project has left. This project has had 3 phases and someone has left after every phase. They even joked about me taking over the project and leaving. I have had to keep my poker face on through every joke.
    Not an architect, but I would find working on a school deadly dull...
    "The cure for boredom is curiosity. There is no cure for curiosity. - Ellen Parr"

'If today were the last day of my life, would I want to do what I am about to do today?' - Steve Jobs

I would rather live my life as if there is a god and die to find out there isn't, than live my life as if there isn't and die to find out there is. Albert Camus

"When Fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross." - Sinclair Lewis

Quote Originally Posted by TIDE-HSV View Post
    Not an architect, but I would find working on a school deadly dull...
    It is. Plus there is a whole lot of hurrying up and waiting. They have meetings about when is the next meeting. The schools in the counties are all the same and if one even looks slightly different they freak. I need the change. I miss high end hotel work which is what I would be switching to.

Roll Tide Roll

It is. Plus there is a whole lot of hurrying up and waiting. They have meetings about when is the next meeting. The schools in the counties are all the same and if one even looks slightly different they freak. I need the change. I miss high end hotel work which is what I would be switching to.
    That definitely sounds more interesting...