Starting a new job soon! - Page 5
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Re: Starting a new job soon!

Quote Originally Posted by AUDub View Post
    Three weeks in and I almost feel like I'm cheating my current employer compared to my old job. In the last 6 working days (first 6 shadowing the guy I'll be replacing), I've worked about 30 hours. Don't really know what to do with the time I'm spending at home with Mrs. Dub.

Mind you, when I am working, it's hard work, hauling around a dozen 300 pound DI tanks per call and with one plumbing mod involving about 12 solid hours of labor, and there will be some 60 hour weeks (mostly driving), with a Saturday and Sunday in the next few weeks, but my goodness.
    If you're having to physically manage those tanks, you'll soon be built like a stevedore...
    "The cure for boredom is curiosity. There is no cure for curiosity. - Ellen Parr"

'If today were the last day of my life, would I want to do what I am about to do today?' - Steve Jobs

I would rather live my life as if there is a god and die to find out there isn't, than live my life as if there isn't and die to find out there is. Albert Camus

"When Fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross." - Sinclair Lewis

Quote Originally Posted by DzynKingRTR View Post
    Yes I have been offered and accepted, but I am holding off until 2 weeks before I start. The job they want me to work on could fall thru and delay my start day, so I am holding out. They actually told me I should wait to give notice, but to keep in touch. Now I need to make sure I get all my doctor visits and vacation days in before I leave. Plus get my resignation letter ready to go. I am excited about the change. Now I have to keep a poker face for a few weeks.
    That's not going to be easy...
    "The cure for boredom is curiosity. There is no cure for curiosity. - Ellen Parr"

'If today were the last day of my life, would I want to do what I am about to do today?' - Steve Jobs

I would rather live my life as if there is a god and die to find out there isn't, than live my life as if there isn't and die to find out there is. Albert Camus

"When Fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross." - Sinclair Lewis

Where ever there's BBQ, Crawfish & Football

Quote Originally Posted by DzynKingRTR View Post
    Yes I have been offered and accepted, but I am holding off until 2 weeks before I start. The job they want me to work on could fall thru and delay my start day, so I am holding out. They actually told me I should wait to give notice, but to keep in touch. Now I need to make sure I get all my doctor visits and vacation days in before I leave. Plus get my resignation letter ready to go. I am excited about the change. Now I have to keep a poker face for a few weeks.
    I've learned this from personal experience, I would not exhaust every single vacay and/or sick day I had accrued JUST IN CASE the new job falls through. Odds are it won't happen. But I'd keep a few vacay days in your pocket and sick days as well. Regarding vacay days, if you don't use them before you leave they are considered earned wages so they have to pay them to you on your final check. Sick days they do not. They aren't considered "earned wages".
    The existence of God isn't determined in the thoughts of man. God exists, no matter what man thinks.

"It cost a lot of money to look this cheap."-Dolly Parton.

"If you ever want to know how good your barbecue is start charging for it"-Myron Mixon

BamaNation Hall of Fame DzynKingRTR's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by TIDE-HSV View Post
    That's not going to be easy...
    You don't know the half of it. The current project I am working on is cursed. Every single person that has worked on this project has left the firm. People have made jokes about the next to leave and I just have to sit there and laugh with them.
    Architects do it with models.

Roll Tide Roll

Give me ambiguity or give me something else.

If you're having to physically manage those tanks, you'll soon be built like a stevedore...
    Yeah give me a few months and I'm going to be jacked. Going to have to find some alternatives to fast food though. With all the time out all over the state, I'll be eating out a bunch. Got trips to Auburn and Enterprise next week.
    Just a barner.

There goes Davis!

Yeah give me a few months and I'm going to be jacked. Going to have to find some alternatives to fast food though. With all the time out all over the state, I'll be eating out a bunch. Got trips to Auburn and Enterprise next week.
    On the road that much, you're going to have to exercise a lot of self-discipline. I've had friends who swore they'd never fall into the fast food trap when they had to travel that much and failed. It's just hard...

BamaNation Hall of Fame Bodhisattva's Avatar

Hey, DzynKingRTR. Don't tell your future employer about your latest injury. They might see you as an unacceptable health insurance risk and reconsider.
    Bodhi

Lily (age 6): Daddy, I know what I want to be when I grow up: an artist.
    Bodhi (internally groaning): Yeah? What kind of artist?
    Lily: A balloon animal artist!
    Bodhi (face palm)

On the road that much, you're going to have to exercise a lot of self-discipline. I've had friends who swore they'd never fall into the fast food trap when they had to travel that much and failed. It's just hard...
    i have a buddy who is a pilot for delta. he resorted to only eating salads with grilled chicken on them while eating at airports. pretty much every fast food joint has them. you just have to have the discipline to order it and not smother it in dressing and you can eat relatively healthy.
    The Party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command.

- George Orwell

If they can get you asking the wrong questions, they dont have to worry about the answers.

Thomas Pynchon

Yeah it's a very easy trap to fall into. "Hey a Wendy's! A couple of junior bacon cheeseburgers sound good right about now. I'll eat better tomorrow."
    Just a barner.

There goes Davis!

Just got back from my first big install. Lexington, Kentucky. 6 hour drive Friday, work yesterday from 5a to 7p and drove back today.

Actually made myself useful considering I was supposed to be an observer lol. I'm young and pretty bendy, so I spent most of my time during the install in the ceiling doing the long plumbing runs across the room with about a cubic foot of space available around me at any one time. Concrete ceiling though, so I was able to step freely as I squeezed myself into places my coworkers couldn't go. They just put me up there, pulled the ladder and let me do my thing while they did the RO and completed the runs I stuffed down through the ceiling after cementing them.

Worst part was a terminus above a sterilizer. There was no support. It was bare sheet metal. I found, of all things, a 2*10 in the ceiling and made myself a platform. Laughably, I was the only one that could squeeze past the sterilizers and make that climb. That took a solid 2 hours working one handed.

But damn I'm in love with this job.
    Just a barner.

There goes Davis!

Publisher, TideFans.com &
    Benevolent Dictator

Three weeks in and I almost feel like I'm cheating my current employer compared to my old job. In the last 6 working days (first 6 shadowing the guy I'll be replacing), I've worked about 30 hours. Don't really know what to do with the time I'm spending at home with Mrs. Dub.

Mind you, when I am working, it's hard work, hauling around a dozen 300 pound DI tanks per call and with one plumbing mod involving about 12 solid hours of labor, and there will be some 60 hour weeks (mostly driving), with a Saturday and Sunday in the next few weeks, but my goodness.
    When my wife left public accounting at a Big 4, I told her that she needed to get a second full time job with all the time she had freed up . Shes a type A exec so it took her a minute to get used to not being on 18/7/365.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

BamaNation Hall of Fame Go Bama's Avatar

Just got back from my first big install. Lexington, Kentucky. 6 hour drive Friday, work yesterday from 5a to 7p and drove back today.

Actually made myself useful considering I was supposed to be an observer lol. I'm young and pretty bendy, so I spent most of my time during the install in the ceiling doing the long plumbing runs across the room with about a cubic foot of space available around me at any one time. Concrete ceiling though, so I was able to step freely as I squeezed myself into places my coworkers couldn't go. They just put me up there, pulled the ladder and let me do my thing while they did the RO and completed the runs I stuffed down through the ceiling after cementing them.

Worst part was a terminus above a sterilizer. There was no support. It was bare sheet metal. I found, of all things, a 2*10 in the ceiling and made myself a platform. Laughably, I was the only one that could squeeze past the sterilizers and make that climb. That took a solid 2 hours working one handed.

What are you installing, Dub?

I've usually done all my own wiring but I'm having to face that I'm really not cut out for attics any more. So, I hired this well-recommended electrician for an attic job, name of "Jeff Kirsch," you can figure out his ancestry. Sure enough, at least 6'4" and 250. Luckily, the real attic man is named "Mario," and he's about 5'1"...